2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

10 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

1) I really hope Pitts is there with the Seattle pick but I don't see it

2) I see everyone putting Thuney in mocks and some pretty much doing that in pen, what makes this a lock?

3) I'm backing off the Etienne train and would rather go QB, Pitts, OG or QB, OG, WR/TE.

The nice thing is if we do in fact get Thuney and a solid WR we will have a ton of flexibility where we can go. But regardless I still want to draft a burner at WR.

1. I'm open to several positions with that SEA pick. It will depends on who we get in FA on who I think we need there. WR, OL, Edge, RB are what I'm open to there. We also can't forget that if SEA goes deep into the playoffs and we do in fact get the 1st pick... our 2nd rounder will just be a few picks after this SEA pick. We very well can be drafting 1, 30, 33 (or something like that).

2. Rumor was that JD wanted him bad last offseason and we were ready to pay him big. But NE tagged him, so we couldn't do anything. We have a ton of money to spend and I fully expect us to go hard after him again.

3. I still really like Etienne. But as I stated it will depend on how we attack FA on what I think we should do. There's a lot of good FA RBs. So I expect us to get someone there (Gurley, Conner, Drake, Jones, Carson, Mack, Lindsay, Edwards, Fournette, etc). On the surface I say I want OL or WR with SEA pick. But I have to see how FA goes before I can really say what we will 100% need come the draft.

What we can I think all agree on is that this team needs offensive help. OG hasn't looked good. So addressing that should happen. Especially with JDs background. WR will need a couple impact players not depth players. And RB needs  alegit starter.

What we need with our first six draft picks

1  QB      ?

2 WR       ?

3 DE pass rusher  ?

4 LB   ?

5 OG   ?

6  RB   ?

Not necessarily in that order, and to early for me to name players. I don't mind if someone wants to fill the question marks with players names

all these players would come from the first 96 or 97 players in the draft

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

What we need with our first six draft picks

1  QB      ?

2 WR       ?

3 DE pass rusher  ?

4 LB   ?

5 OG   ?

6  RB   ?

Not necessarily in that order, and to early for me to name players. I don't mind if someone wants to fill the question marks with players names

all these players would come from the first 96 or 97 players in the draft

JD isn't going to attack the draft.  From the 2nd 1st round pick goes on, it should cover either  OG, DE, WR and TE or CB.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

JD isn't going to attack the draft.  From the 2nd 1st round pick goes on, it should cover either  OG, DE, WR and TE or CB.

Outside of a QB with our first pick in the draft who will be the next position he will take in the first round. I would think it would be the best player available at any of the position of our needs. Don't forget we have six picks in the first 96 players in the draft.

Edited by doumeyer

19 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Outside of a QB with our first pick in the draft who will be the next position he will take in the first round. I would think it would be the best player available at any of the position of our needs. Don't forget we have six picks in the first 96 players in the draft.

I think you have to go with an OL guy or WR. I'm still hoping that we can pull a good OL guy. I'm not a fan of picking a TE early at all. The only TE that make a difference right now are Kelce and Kittle. Once you get beyond that there is a bunch of guys are are average. I don't see any TE that is in the Kelce or Kittle mode. I know people are hopped up on TE but I'm not a fan of them. I would rather have a better WR than a good TE. I also feel that picking a RB in round 1 is a big time waste. Good teams seem to find a guy that can handle the carries. 

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think you have to go with an OL guy or WR. I'm still hoping that we can pull a good OL guy. I'm not a fan of picking a TE early at all. The only TE that make a difference right now are Kelce and Kittle. Once you get beyond that there is a bunch of guys are are average. I don't see any TE that is in the Kelce or Kittle mode. I know people are hopped up on TE but I'm not a fan of them. I would rather have a better WR than a good TE. I also feel that picking a RB in round 1 is a big time waste. Good teams seem to find a guy that can handle the carries. 

OK I am fine with that, i love the six picks we have in the top 96 players. I know it is still early but in a couple of weeks i would love to see the top four or five players in the draft for each position of our needs.

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

5 picks first 3 rounds with 6th pick is sitting slightly past the 100th overall selection.

I think 2nd first round pick is going to be very unpopular choice from fan's standpoint. OL or DE or even trade down there.  I don't think RB or WR will be taken in 1st.  TE and CB would be a surprising target.

I hope OL and DE prospects grow into hot commodities during scout months to make the pick more sense and acceptable.

As of right now, this class looks great 3-4 OLB wise. I can wait until the 3rd or 2nd unless someone insane is sitting there with our Sea pick. I want us to sign a new WR, so I'm not worried about drafting one at the moment. 

I'm looking closely at the ILB's in this class. I have my doubts Mosley returns to pro-bowl form and none of the others seem like locks in their positions. Hopefully we can find someone outside of the first. 

I would place a wager that our 2nd first or second rd pick will be a CB. It is one of the three highest positions of need.  WR and iOL can be found in FA. A good CB will either cost a ton or will be on the downside of his career. 

I think it will go: QB, Cb/WR, WR/CB. To the disappointment of many, JD will not just focus on one side of the ball at the expense of the other. 

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

I would place a wager that our 2nd first or second rd pick will be a CB. It is one of the three highest positions of need.  WR and iOL can be found in FA. A good CB will either cost a ton or will be on the downside of his career. 

I think it will go: QB, Cb/WR, WR/CB. To the disappointment of many, JD will not just focus on one side of the ball at the expense of the other. 

I won't be surprised but I'm hoping more for Edge.  Although if we can get someone like Barrett or Dupree then I'm good with taking a CB.  When's the last time we had a good one? Revis?

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

I'm not against this at all if he's the best player out of our needs. With the direction QBs like Allen, Mahomes, LJ, Burrow, and others are heading in, we're not winning anything without a tough defense. I'm hoping Micah Parsons fall in the draft. It really depends on who is there with that pick. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not against this at all if he's the best player out of our needs. With the direction QBs like Allen, Mahomes, LJ, Burrow, and others are heading in, we're not winning anything without a tough defense. I'm hoping Micah Parsons fall in the draft. It really depends on who is there with that pick. 

I beg to differ.  It's all about offense.  Look at Baltimore who has a good defense, they cannot strike quick or get explosive plays unless Lamar and the RBs run wild.

We need a QB who can drive the ball down field and we need a burner WR.  I'm totally cool with completely ignoring defense if it means we have an offense that can put up 3 TDs a game. I'd much rather be losing games because our defense can't stop anyone, not because our offense doesn't score.  We can worry about offense later and let Lawrence shoot it out.

FA- Thuney and Robinson/Jones/JuJu

Lawrence

W. Davis/T. Smith

Pat F.

Moore/Toney

That's a huge overhaul.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

We just picked up Pat E. all we need to do now is pick up DeAndre Baker. He could be a CB 2 that could turn into a CB 1. I think at worse he is a CB 3 right now. Sounds like these guys went to a lawyer and that lawyer tried to get 260,000 for three guys.

With our lack of talent he could easily match up against other teams' 1s.  Take some pressure off of Bless too.  Maybe lessen the need for a high draft pick so we can focus on offense.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I beg to differ.  It's all about offense.  Look at Baltimore who has a good defense, they cannot strike quick or get explosive plays unless Lamar and the RBs run wild.

We need a QB who can drive the ball down field and we need a burner WR.  I'm totally cool with completely ignoring defense if it means we have an offense that can put up 3 TDs a game. I'd much rather be losing games because our defense can't stop anyone, not because our offense doesn't score.  We can worry about offense later and let Lawrence shoot it out.

FA- Thuney and Robinson/Jones/JuJu

Lawrence

W. Davis/T. Smith

Pat F.

Moore/Toney

That's a huge overhaul.

Of course we still need talent on offense. I'm not saying ignore that side of the ball. I'm saying good luck trying to win shootouts against the teams offenses they will become. I'm hoping for a well balanced approach if the talent is there to do so. Those QBs are likely getting better and the teams will try to continue to build around those guys. Why does Eli Manning have more Superbowl rings than Aaron Rodgers? Because they built a defense good enough to challenge Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and many others while having a good offense. The Giants made their front 7 a high priority. 

Defense will matter more than ever in the AFC. I haven't even mentioned Tua, Herbert, Baker (if he bounces back), Watson, and Tannehill. It all depends on the layout in free agency and the draft. We have to build both sides. Even with the issues the Ravens are having, they're still averaging 27 points per game with a offensive roster I would have gotten killed for if I put them in a mock offseason. They're going to add more talent around him and they will likely get better. If not, we're just going to be like Brees and the saints when they kept missing the playoffs because of the terrible defense.