2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I expect us to continue the JD process. Go after edge rushers, OL and weapons for Sam. These 2 1st the next 2 years allow us to just speed up that process. What I will say is I will be shocked if we stay put with both these 1sts the next 2 years. I see us trading around up, down whatever.

I think we have enough OL.  I'm adding as many pass rushers and weapons for Sam as possible! Then OL later in the draft.  But top tier picks need to be WR and Edge.  We haven't had talent there.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Really gotta trust the scouts this next draft if no season. I wonder how they'll alter the visits, pro days, etc. Bc you'd imagine they'll have to allow more opportunities to see these guys with no games pre draft. 

One thing they really need to find out...what guys used COVID as an excuse to cry and not train vs what guys continued to work their butts off during COVID/any break from the season.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I think we have enough OL.  I'm adding as many pass rushers and weapons for Sam as possible! Then OL later in the draft.  But top tier picks need to be WR and Edge.  We haven't had talent there.

I do not disagree, but I also believe the OL, collectively,  is the QB's and RB's best friend.  One weak link and the OL falters.  Do we have a weak link? The season will answer that for us.  If we do, I would not be opposed to using Seattles 1st or at least our 2nd on OL.  My gut right now tells me OT is OK, but I am concerned with OG.  That said, I would love for Rousseau or Chase to be available to us with our high 1st.  If gone, Wade, Surtain or Smith would be my fallback.

Hopefully we get to see the Jets play at least 8 games. It’ll help a ton to know what we have on the OL. My gut tells me we will need help at one spot. Could be Fant or one of the two guards spots.

Either way, one of the first should get used on a WR. Too many high end WRs in this class not to get one.

Im also hoping college teams play at least 6 to 8 games. Prospects develop each year. Just going on last year’s tape is tough.

Edited by SDotNova

If I’m reading OTC correctly, the 2021 projected cap space numbers includes carryover. If this is the case, a lot of teams are in trouble if the cap is only $175 million. Even we’re tight. Our effective cap space is only $16.5M with a cap of $175 million. Signing Clowney this year does not make sense since it’ll basically wipe out our cap space next year by having a lower carryover. We can free up about $10M by cutting a couple of players like Henry Anderson and (Fant or Bell) depending on how they play this year.

I don’t see how some of these teams are going to get below the cap. A couple of players that may be available next via trade: TJ Watt and Marshon Lattimore. Teams are going to have to make some tough decisions.

Edited by SDotNova

3 hours ago, SDotNova said:

If I’m reading OTC correctly, the 2021 projected cap space numbers includes carryover. If this is the case, a lot of teams are in trouble if the cap is only $175 million. Even we’re tight. Our effective cap space is only $16.5M with a cap of $175 million. Signing Clowney this year does not make sense since it’ll basically wipe out our cap space next year by having a lower carryover. We can free up about $10M by cutting a couple of players like Henry Anderson and (Fant or Bell) depending on how they play this year.

I don’t see how some of these teams are going to get below the cap. A couple of players that may be available next via trade: TJ Watt and Marshon Lattimore. Teams are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I must be reading this all wrong.  Next year we will have $150M in spending ( I rounded up to include the effective cap space to get to 51 players).  If the cap is $175M, doesn't that leave us with $25M?  Subtract $7M for draft class and another $6M for in-season operating space, that leaves us with about $12M before cuts. Anderson, Enunwa and Cannon cuts will add $15M leaving us with $27M.

I think we are in a prime spot to get a young FA talent (Lattimore?) that some teams will not be able to hang onto.  Hell, the Seahwks may be tight against the cap.  Maybe we can get JA back.  I jest, of course.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, xrade said:

I must be reading this all wrong.  Next year we will have $150M in spending ( I rounded up to include the effective cap space to get to 51 players).  If the cap is $175M, doesn't that leave us with $25M?  Subtract $7M for draft class and another $6M for in-season operating space, that leaves us with about $12M before cuts. Anderson, Enunwa and Cannon cuts will add $15M leaving us with $27M.

OTC shows us with about $31m  cap space now and About $131m  cap liability next year (for 34 players). If OTC is correct, doesn’t  that mean we have over $75m cap room next season? (175-131+31)

6 minutes ago, Rich51 said:

OTC shows us with about $31m  cap space now and About $131m  cap liability next year (for 34 players). If OTC is correct, doesn’t  that mean we have over $75m cap room next season? (175-131+31)

I just looked.  Active cap spending next year is $119M which would leave us with $57M.  Not sure where the $65M effective cap space comes from, probably accounting voodoo, but we have the 4th highest amount to spend.

Edited by xrade

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I just looked.  Active cap spending next year is $119M which would leave us with $57M.  Not sure where the $65M effective cap space comes from, probably accounting voodoo, but we have the 4th highest amount to spend.

I would not go by those numbers. I think you are going to see a big cut in the salary cap if the NFL takes a massive hit in lose money which I think will happen. 

13 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I would not go by those numbers. I think you are going to see a big cut in the salary cap if the NFL takes a massive hit in lose money which I think will happen. 

It is at a minimum of $175M. OTC has the 2021 cap at $176M. Although, I am not sure if the active cap spending takes in account the $11M dead money which would leave us at $46M. 

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

It is at a minimum of $175M. OTC has the 2021 cap at $176M. Although, I am not sure if the active cap spending takes in account the $11M dead money which would leave us at $46M. 

I can see the NFL cutting 25-30 mill on the cap to recoup their loses this year. Who knows they ay even bump it to 40-50 mill. The NFL is going to lose BILLIONS of dollars and the owners will not put up with that. If we don't see fans in the majority of the stadiums it is going to be ugly. An example is the NBA will lose 40% of their income if the season has no fans. The leagues will have to simple cut back on player salaries. This is a bad time to become a FA in 2021. I don't see the big contracts anymore. The MLB is hurting so bad that they are already offering me deals to go to the Red Sox games cheap for next season. They are trying anything. I think Mahomes was smart to sign that long term deal and Watson ws stupid going for the short term to bank it again. But just like everything thing else we will wait and see. 

23 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I can see the NFL cutting 25-30 mill on the cap to recoup their loses this year. Who knows they ay even bump it to 40-50 mill. The NFL is going to lose BILLIONS of dollars and the owners will not put up with that. If we don't see fans in the majority of the stadiums it is going to be ugly. An example is the NBA will lose 40% of their income if the season has no fans. The leagues will have to simple cut back on player salaries. This is a bad time to become a FA in 2021. I don't see the big contracts anymore. The MLB is hurting so bad that they are already offering me deals to go to the Red Sox games cheap for next season. They are trying anything. I think Mahomes was smart to sign that long term deal and Watson ws stupid going for the short term to bank it again. But just like everything thing else we will wait and see. 

No matter what happen to NFL's revenue of this year, the salary cap for 2021 can't be lower than 175m.  It will take a several years for NFL teams to recoup the complete loss.  Big contract can be done to certain players but not all of hot players as we have witnessed a several big contract extensions to be already done.  Mahomes and Watson have different kind of relationship with their own teams.  As long as they perform well on the field, both contracts are good.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

If there's any one who can loan against their future revenue to cover losses and keep players paid, it's the NFL. They are a behemoth. I would be that cities would be willing to provide the loans as they do with stadiums.