Jump to content

2021 Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Lawrence was the guarantee in terms of whether we would pick him. 

Now we gotta pray for Wilson to actually be what he’s showing. 

lol I know, but everyone was just on here talking about how stupid the franchise is and not picking a QB at all. One half of Wilson and people are excited again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

lol I know, but everyone was just on here talking about how stupid the franchise is and not picking a QB at all. One half of Wilson and people are excited again. 

Hope runs eternal. I think for most of us it was Lawrence or bust. I wouldn’t even pick Wilson at 2, I would try and move back a couple spots. Idk man, this is all just bad right now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Hope runs eternal. I think for most of us it was Lawrence or bust. I wouldn’t even pick Wilson at 2, I would try and move back a couple spots. Idk man, this is all just bad right now. 

I don't look at is bad, fans just uncertain who is the guy. I am leaning towards the idea of trading back a couple of picks and selecting someone, but we'll just have to see. The good news is that if we feel like Wilson, Lance, or who ever is the right guy, we will get him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Lawrence was the guarantee in terms of whether we would pick him. 

Now we gotta pray for Wilson to actually be what he’s showing. 

That was my problem, pretty much for the last 8 or so weeks, Lawrence was all to talk about because he seemed like a guarantee to be A Jet because winning a game didnt seem realistic or thinking the Jags could eek out another win (still might) and even though Wilson has been my favorite QB to watch this year never thought about him being a Jet till Sunday.

So since he was my favorite it is now very easy to get excited about potentially drafting him

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, .Buzz said:

There's a bit of overreacting here I think.

We were seen as a premium job sitting where you guys sit. You have an extra 1st each of the next two years with one being in position for a top flight QB prospect this year. 

I would disagree.

There were rumors of Bill Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the Jets, assuming they landed Lawrence - that isn't to say it would've happened, or that Cowher would've been the best choice, but it speaks to Lawrence's value. The opportunity to coach a generational QB prospect could easily be the difference in swaying certain candidates, Matt Campbell for example, from leaving their current situation. Not to mention, Jacksonville instantly becomes a more desirable destination for prospective coaches.

We're still in a decent spot, but losing out on Lawrence unequivocally effects our HC search.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I would disagree.

There were rumors of Bill Cowher coming out of retirement to coach the Jets, assuming they landed Lawrence - that isn't to say it would've happened, or that Cowher would've been the best choice, but it speaks to Lawrence's value. The opportunity to coach a generational QB prospect could easily be the difference in swaying certain candidates, Matt Campbell for example, from leaving their current situation. Not to mention, Jacksonville instantly becomes a more desirable destination for prospective coaches.

We're still in a decent spot, but losing out on Lawrence unequivocally effects our HC search.  

Never said if you guys end up staying at 2nd overall and JAX stays at 1 it's just as desirable. But think the fact there's a generational QB prospect is skewing some thoughts on Fields/Wilson in a negative way. They're both legit QB prospects.

If you just still plan to take a QB like that, with the draft capital you have the next two years and cap situation, it's a very appealing job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Never said if you guys end up staying at 2nd overall and JAX stays at 1 it's just as desirable. But think the fact there's a generational QB prospect is skewing some thoughts on Fields/Wilson in a negative way. They're both legit QB prospects.

If you just still plan to take a QB like that, with the draft capital you have the next two years and cap situation, it's a very appealing job.

Sure, but the question was how bad do you think losing out on Lawrence hurts our head coaching search - to which you replied, that's an overreaction.

It's still an appealing opportunity for any coach, but relatively speaking, losing out on Lawrence has its ramifications.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Sure, but the question was how bad do you think losing out on Lawrence hurts our head coaching search - to which you replied, that's an overreaction.

It's still an appealing opportunity for any coach, but relatively speaking, losing out on Lawrence has its ramifications.

I mean, if it was Bill Cowher/a college coach like Dabo or bust for you than yeah, I guess it might've hurt (although who knows if TLaw was the only way he came out of retirement)? Can't say I'm a fan of bringing a coach who's been out of the league for 15 years back but too each their own.

Otherwise, I really don't think it makes it unlikely for any other normal candidate. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, if it was Bill Cowher/a college coach like Dabo or bust for you than yeah, I guess it might've hurt (although who knows if TLaw was the only way he came out of retirement)? Can't say I'm a fan of bringing a coach who's been out of the league for 15 years back but too each their own.

Otherwise, I really don't think it makes it unlikely for any other normal candidate. 

 

 

Fair enough.. I wasn't necessarily sold on Cowher, but the fact that Lawrence was (supposedly) enough to bring a HOF coach out of retirement is telling. Point being, he could easily be the difference in swaying certain candidates from leaving their current situation - whatever that may be.

If the search just revolved around current coordinators, it's less of an issue, aside from the obvious fact that Jacksonville is now more intriguing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Never said if you guys end up staying at 2nd overall and JAX stays at 1 it's just as desirable. But think the fact there's a generational QB prospect is skewing some thoughts on Fields/Wilson in a negative way. They're both legit QB prospects.

If you just still plan to take a QB like that, with the draft capital you have the next two years and cap situation, it's a very appealing job.

I disagree here. I'm one of the few that thinks T Law is the only real starting QB for a NFL team. I think these guys are all hype like Winslow and Mariota. The only reason they are hyped up is that they are the best that this draft class has to offer after T Law. I don't think any of these QB's are worth a top 10 pick. Only T Law going 1 is a starter and a franchise QB. I hope the Jags win against the bears to set things right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I disagree here. I'm one of the few that thinks T Law is the only real starting QB for a NFL team. I think these guys are all hype like Winslow and Mariota. The only reason they are hyped up is that they are the best that this draft class has to offer after T Law. I don't think any of these QB's are worth a top 10 pick. Only T Law going 1 is a starter and a franchise QB. I hope the Jags win against the bears to set things right. 

So were Tua and Herbert after Burrow last year just because they were the next best after Burrow/not good prospects?  Did we think Patrick Mahomes out of Texas Tech was what he was or Deshaun Watson with all the prior failures at Clemson coming out the next elite QBs to lead the league (personally loved Deshaun, but there was a ton of people who didnt). What were your thoughts on Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in 2018? Or are we just going to use hindsight because these guys all ended up working out?

Like dude, watch the tape. The NFL is all about having the tools and mental fortitude as a QB prospect and bringing them into a situation in which you build around them and develop. If you want to say that Fields or Wilson aren't a sure thing than obviously. All those guys I named above weren't seen as that either (nor anyone besides Luck over the last 20 years). But they have the tools and based on what I've read a good head on their shoulders that as long as you don't give them nothing to work with/put them in a bad situation they have a chance. That's all you can ask for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The NFL is all about having the tools and mental fortitude as a QB prospect and bringing them into a situation in which you build around them and develop

Some good points. The real questions for this franchise are:

1. How long will this development take?  We have been waiting a long time. We thought Sam was it and he is not for whatever reason. We thought we had our Luck and Manning, now we don’t. Obviously this is a question that can’t be answered but having to start Sam or other vet until the rookie is ready is tough to digest right now especially when we had a day 1 starter in our grip.

2.  Do we trust JD?  I do but others may not. If we pick at 2 JD can’t **** this up. QB or not we need a real talent preferably at a position of need of which there are many.  We fear another Sam and missing on Allen. Hence the Fields - Wilson debates.  Can JD find the next Mahomes or Wilson or Prescott?  We are gun shy with our GM’s because we have had crap over the last decade.  Our trust in JD is only season to season at this point. He needs more than one good draft. Get the wrong QB, and he will be crucified here by fans and media.  

3.  Do we even draft a QB at 2 or trade down?  As of right now, I say trade down but we run a real risk of missing out on Fields or Wilson. One them will most likely go 2. Carolina at 4 may take the other. Which leads to the next question.

4.  Is Jones, Trask, Lance worth a top 10 pick?  That is a real tough question because many may not think so. Tough to evaluate SEC QB’s. There have been as many misses as hits. Maybe more misses. I do not think we can trade down too far because of the cost to the trading team. We could conceivably trade down twice, but chances are we may not get that franchise QB this year.  Fans would be pissed.  Many do not want to hear about getting all the pieces in place, then get that QB in 2022. Remember Mac chose Hackencrap in round 2.  We are leery of later QB picks.

Edited by xrade
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...