2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Yeah I’d rather spend heavy money on players with 4-6 quality years left and play in positions with less bust factor. 

If we resign Pat for LG and bring in a top guard for the RG spot we will have a very good line. If we do trade down and draft Swell then the o-like is set for years. If not Chase would be great. 

My worry is retaining Sam and hoping he can turn it around. He he can I don’t think it will be here in NY. That said I’m not hyped for any other qb not named Lawerence so I’m intrigued with how JD sets his offseason plan up.

I think we are all on board with how it should start on Monday though...fire Gase and all his boys. 

Think Marvin Jones, Kendrick Bourne, Curtis Samuel, Nelson Agahlor, Tim Patrick, and Rashard Higgins are going to be the guys we target. Could see us throw money at Corey Davis but I think it’s much more likely we sign 1 or 2 of the guys above and draft 1 somewhere between Rounds 2-4. Thin JD is gonna spend bigger money on OG(Thuney/Scherff/Warford) and Edge(Judon /Okawara/Lawson) than a big name WR

4 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Think Marvin Jones, Kendrick Bourne, Curtis Samuel, Nelson Agahlor, Tim Patrick, and Rashard Higgins are going to be the guys we target. Could see us throw money at Corey Davis but I think it’s much more likely we sign 1 or 2 of the guys above and draft 1 somewhere between Rounds 2-4. Thin JD is gonna spend bigger money on OG(Thuney/Scherff/Warford) and Edge(Judon /Okawara/Lawson) than a big name WR

If his first off season is any indication, I agree.  But to project JD's approach to the off season based on just one data point is a bit premature. I am not suggesting your though process is incorrect, as I am inclined to believe in your strategy, but none of us can make an informed decision on how JD operates just yet. There is little doubt he wants to build through the draft and his demand for 6 years indicates that will be his MO.  However, with a new coaching staff presumably coming in along with a dearth of talent, JD may dip a little more into the FA pool than he is really comfortable doing.  With all the cap space we have and the potential for more FA talent becoming available because of the lower cap, we may see 2021 as the biggest year he spends in FA.

A lot will come down to if he decides to pick a QB early.  If so, he may want an established vet to replace Perriman.  Tier 1 players like Golladay, Robinson, Fuller are still relatively young (27-28 next year) and will provide good talent on the outside spot for a new QB to lean on. They will cost $.  If he decides to keep Sam for 2021, even if he picks a QB but he and the coaching staff believe the rookie QB needs a year, he may go with Tier 2 WR's like you mentioned.  I would also expect JD to draft a WR in Rd.2-3, and ease him into the rotation.

In either scenario, I would expect his first priority will be the OL.  I would also expect a FA upgrade at TE like Henry, Jonnu Smith, Everett along with a RB upgrade like Fournette, Williams, Drake?, etc.  This is a lot of FA just on O, but we have the cap space and these are not cap busting moves.  It also improves our flexibility in the draft.  It is this reason that I do not expect a RB or TE to be selected on day 1 or even day 2.  Those are positions we can draft early in subsequent years when our OL is established and our QB position is settled.

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

If his first off season is any indication, I agree.  But to project JD's approach to the off season based on just one data point is a bit premature. I am not suggesting your though process is incorrect, as I am inclined to believe in your strategy, but none of us can make an informed decision on how JD operates just yet. There is little doubt he wants to build through the draft and his demand for 6 years indicates that will be his MO.  However, with a new coaching staff presumably coming in along with a dearth of talent, JD may dip a little more into the FA pool than he is really comfortable doing.  With all the cap space we have and the potential for more FA talent becoming available because of the lower cap, we may see 2021 as the biggest year he spends in FA.

A lot will come down to if he decides to pick a QB early.  If so, he may want an established vet to replace Perriman.  Tier 1 players like Golladay, Robinson, Fuller are still relatively young (27-28 next year) and will provide good talent on the outside spot for a new QB to lean on. They will cost $.  If he decides to keep Sam for 2021, even if he picks a QB but he and the coaching staff believe the rookie QB needs a year, he may go with Tier 2 WR's like you mentioned.  I would also expect JD to draft a WR in Rd.2-3, and ease him into the rotation.

In either scenario, I would expect his first priority will be the OL.  I would also expect a FA upgrade at TE like Henry, Jonnu Smith, Everett along with a RB upgrade like Fournette, Williams, Drake?, etc.  This is a lot of FA just on O, but we have the cap space and these are not cap busting moves.  It also improves our flexibility in the draft.  It is this reason that I do not expect a RB or TE to be selected on day 1 or even day 2.  Those are positions we can draft early in subsequent years when our OL is established and our QB position is settled.

I’m more of basing it off the places he’s worked and likely how he is gonna try and mirror them with us.

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I’m more of basing it off the places he’s worked and likely how he is gonna try and mirror them with us.

Agreed, I did not really think of his past organizations.  I guess a lot will also depend on the QB approach and the new coaching staff.  As long as JD hires the next HC, he may be willing to concede spending more on a tier one WR and FA in general.  That was kind of my gist.

Edited by xrade

On 12/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, Forge said:

Right year to do it. Have you seen the class right now? Crazy stacked. I'm sure not all will hit the market, but still. Davis will get bigger deal than you think. He'll definitely be over 10 

I agree. The class is stacked. And I think some guys might be on the trade market as well