2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

12 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

My dream would be for Darnold to step up so we don't have to draft another QB, trade back to come out of the draft with Chase, Cleveland, and a top defensive prospect. 

giphy.gif

Anyway, Seth Williams was quiet last night against UGA. Whether or not secondary blanketed him.  Just keep it up so Jets can draft him in day 3 as a great hidden emerald.

Here is a pretty good article on why Trevor Lawrence should be out #1 pick.  In short, it is about salary cap management and the risk of paying Darnold his 5th year option.  https://jetsxfactor.com/2020/10/04/the-new-york-jets-no-brainer-at-no-1-trevor-lawrence-over-sam-darnold/

"As a value-driven decision-maker who learned from one of the best, Ozzie Newsome, opening a four-year window under Lawrence’s rookie deal is by far the more legitimate route than throwing crap against the wall in the hope it sticks."

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

As QB prospects go... does anyone rank Lawrence with the likes of Peyton and Luck when they were in the draft?

I heard people say that he would have gone 1 over the last few drafts that included Mayfield, Murray, and Burrows.

Cut Bell, Crowder, Anderson etc.  Use the extra money to sign A Rob to a big deal.  Draft Lawrence, a day 1 starter for RG there are few there at the end of round 1 like Trey Smith or Carman with the SEA pick, draft best WR available at the top of round 2 like Olave who is an elite route runner which works perfect for the slot to replace Crowder, and lastly add another versatile back in round 3 to pair with Perine.

Now you got Mims, A Rob, and Olave with depth in Perriman back on a 1 year deal, with both Smith's, Berrios, and Cager battling for the last 2 spots.  Our OL gets improved with a road grader at RG and we hope Lewis or Clark can lock down the LG spot.  We still have Herndon who hopefully a new coach can unlock and we have Perine and another back to split carries in the backfield.

That should be enough to put Lawrence in position to succeed immediately.

We'll get Mosley back on D and we should have some extra funds to maybe add some talent to the defence in FA or the later rounds in the draft.

That team should be heading in the right direction.  Despite how bad things look it's really not that crazy/unrealistic of an offseason and a team that should be competitive on a weekly basis.

Edited by Rockice_8

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Cut Bell, Crowder, Anderson etc.  Use the extra money to sign A Rob to a big deal.  Draft Lawrence, a day 1 starter for RG there are few there at the end of round 1 like Trey Smith or Carman with the SEA pick, draft best WR available at the top of round 2 like Olave who is an elite route runner which works perfect for the slot to replace Crowder, and lastly add another versatile back in round 3 to pair with Perine.

Now you got Mims, A Rob, and Olave with depth in Perriman back on a 1 year deal, with both Smith's, Berrios, and Cager battling for the last 2 spots.  Our OL gets improved with a road grader at RG and we hope Lewis or Clark can lock down the LG spot.  We still have Herndon who hopefully a new coach can unlock and we have Perine and another back to split carries in the backfield.

That should be enough to put Lawrence in position to succeed immediately.

We'll get Mosley back on D and we should have some extra funds to maybe add some talent to the defence in FA or the later rounds in the draft.

That team should be heading in the right direction.  Despite how bad things look it's really not that crazy/unrealistic of an offseason and a team that should be competitive on a weekly basis.

I think we should hang onto Crowder for another year. We wont need the cap space after cutting more obvious guys. We aren't in position to be cutting offensive talent. But outside of that I'm happy with that. Give me ARob, Mims, Crowder and Olave as our top 4 WRs. I'm done with Perriman.

Trey Smith in 1st?   Pass.  Blood Clot in lung TWICE.  There is no way to tell that he is actually free from recurrence completely.  One clot equals 1 year inactivity automatically. No way to continue building the OL by gambling 1st round pick on health issue.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

As QB prospects go... does anyone rank Lawrence with the likes of Peyton and Luck when they were in the draft?

Hard to tell but at least it is better group than Darnold's group for sure.

I may go with Luck, Peyton and T Law.  T Law's frame may be red alert to some guys.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm never really that high on QB's but T-Law is the best prospect since Luck had come out. I don't know why people think Manning came out as the massive prospect. I think people for get for a while it was Manning or Ryan Leaf. You had some GM that thought Ryan Leaf was better than Manning. I for one thought it was pretty close but gave a slight edge to Manning. Luck was the best prospect since Elway and I think T Law is the best prospect since Luck. If I had to pick the order on QB prospects I would go Elway, Luck, T Law and then Manning. T Law has it all from football smarts, arm strength, accuracy, running the ball, and decision making process. Oh he also has the size too to go along with it. Then you add he has been in big games with big time D and done well. The way he plays against Alabama, who always has 1st round picks on their D, did extremely well. You have the first pick you take T Law no matter what the other offer you. JD can't be that guy who passed on T Law. 

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Hard to tell but at least it is better group than Darnold's group for sure.

I may go with Luck, Peyton and T Law.  T Law's frame may be red alert to some guys.

Allen and Jackson look pretty darn good. So I wouldn't go too far with that.