2021 nfl mock draft thread

5 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

1) its a team game so wins and losses are a team effort. We could end up pick 1 but he proves he is but as we all know our offense lacks viable playmakers outside chark, fournette, and viska not to mention our below average OL.

Could you show us an example of a QB showing he was the guy, but the team getting the #1 overall pick?

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

If you pass on Lawrence because you have Minshew, you never deserve to win another game for 10+ years. 

The only way we're in the running for Lawrence/he's on the board when we're picking is if Minshew didn't take a step forward.

Which means we'll be taking Lawrence if he's available when we're on the clock.

3 hours ago, .Buzz said:

The only way we're in the running for Lawrence/he's on the board when we're picking is if Minshew didn't take a step forward.

Which means we'll be taking Lawrence if he's available when we're on the clock.

And if we're picking 1st he didnt take a step forward. Its that simple. Last year we weren't a good team, not a #1 overall pick bad team though. Unless we have catastrophic injuries, we aren't picking 1st AND keeping GM as the #1 guy

53 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

And if we're picking 1st he didnt take a step forward. Its that simple. Last year we weren't a good team, not a #1 overall pick bad team though. Unless we have catastrophic injuries, we aren't picking 1st AND keeping GM as the #1 guy

We had a historically awful run D, TC/Ramsey fiasco, Foles injury/Minshew as a rookie taking his lumps, and we still won 6 games.

Yeah, we're not picking 1st unless a lot of things go wrong imo.

17 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We had a historically awful run D, TC/Ramsey fiasco, Foles injury/Minshew as a rookie taking his lumps, and we still won 6 games.

Yeah, we're not picking 1st unless a lot of things go wrong imo.

We also have to acknowledge that a lot of those things that would have to go wrong have already had the framework laid. Losing Calais, Yan, Dareus, and Bouye are going to have a big impact on the defense, especially when we’re replacing a number of them with guys who haven’t been in the system or even in the league and aren’t getting a full offseason to acclimate to our playbooks and/or the speed of the NFL.

And our rookie additions on offense aren’t exactly at positions that plug and play success is the norm even in a full offseason. Add in an oft injured TE being the only vet addition, and the fact that we’re changing playbooks again to an offense that isn’t exactly simplified and easy to get with literally no practice, and there’s definitely the groundwork for how things could go wrong very quickly. 

8 hours ago, pwny said:

We also have to acknowledge that a lot of those things that would have to go wrong have already had the framework laid. Losing Calais, Yan, Dareus, and Bouye are going to have a big impact on the defense, especially when we’re replacing a number of them with guys who haven’t been in the system or even in the league and aren’t getting a full offseason to acclimate to our playbooks and/or the speed of the NFL.

And our rookie additions on offense aren’t exactly at positions that plug and play success is the norm even in a full offseason. Add in an oft injured TE being the only vet addition, and the fact that we’re changing playbooks again to an offense that isn’t exactly simplified and easy to get with literally no practice, and there’s definitely the groundwork for how things could go wrong very quickly. 

Calias is the 1 we didn't really replace.

Yan could show up but its doubtful but we brought in a great prospect in chaisson to replace him.  

Dareus was litterally a run clogger.  I think davon Hamilton can do that. 

Bouye was replaced with Henderson.  I think that washes out cuz bouye been declining since 17. 

You also fail to mention how our lb position is vastly improved with schobert. 

Edited by LinderFournette

27 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Calias is the 1 we didn't really replace.

Yan could show up but its doubtful but we brought in a great prospect in chaisson to replace him.  

Dareus was litterally a run clogger.  I think davon Hamilton can do that. 

Bouye was replaced with Henderson.  I think that washes out cuz bouye been declining since 17. 

You also fail to mention how our lb position is vastly improved with schobert. 

9 hours ago, pwny said:

we’re replacing a number of them with guys who haven’t been in the system or even in the league and aren’t getting a full offseason to acclimate to our playbooks and/or the speed of the NFL.

22 hours ago, pwny said:

I think offensively, unless Minshew doesn't adjust, is hard to see going in the backwards direction. We had off the street TEs, Cam's first year back from ACL, rookie Jawaan, and a WR corps that is/was still very young. Felt like Cole was in the doghouse all year and Dede had his worst year as a pro. Think getting Gruden will go a long way too as the playcalling didnt seem to be very consistent last year.

We didn't really have Dareus last year and I feel like Bouye took a sizeable step back, but I do see what you mean going from having some solid vets to largely young/inexperienced pieces. 

I just don't see us in that running but I guess we'll see if we have a season.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I think offensively, unless Minshew doesn't adjust, is hard to see going in the backwards direction. We had off the street TEs, Cam's first year back from ACL, rookie Jawaan, and a WR corps that is/was still very young. Felt like Cole was in the doghouse all year and Dede had his worst year as a pro. Think getting Gruden will go a long way too as the playcalling didnt seem to be very consistent last year.

If this was a normal year, I’d agree. But Gruden has a complex offense, and outside of Eifert and Norwell, no one on our entire team has been in an offense with advanced passing concepts and they’re getting no time to practice these concepts. There’s likely going to be a whole hell of a lot of bumps before they are able to do anything productive. Normally the majority of those bumps come in the form of disastrous days in camp and then the team would then have most of them worked out by the time they’re running concepts in the third preseason game. This year, we’re not getting that benefit.

Its the same thing with Bouye. He was just kind of an average starter last year for us, and normally you’d hope that a first round rookie would come in and be able to play about as well as that. But when you’re taking all the preparation reps from the team like COVID has, there’s major questions on how that player is going to adapt right away. Jalen was a very polished CB coming out and had an incredible rookie year, but even he was getting beat enough in camp that the idiots on this site who thought he couldn’t even play corner at the NFL level were beating their chests about how right they were. If CJ doesn’t get those reps and instead has that type of performance the first 8 weeks of the season, it could be a disaster in the secondary. 

COVID is impacting every team in this way, but I’m not sure there’s another team in the league that’s needing to rely on so many rookies coming up to speed out of the gate and also trying to install an offense that’s far more complex than anything practically anyone on the offensive side of the roster has ever had to do.

And then there’s a concern about just how poorly Florida is handling the pandemic. Will that hit our roster the way it hit the Marlins this past month when our roster finally gets together? The Dolphins are really in the same boat with us here, admittedly, but there might not be a team more poorly built to sustain losing players to a quarantine than two teams in maybe the worst managed state in the country. If you’re putting odds on teams to get an outbreak, we have to be top 3 just by where the team is. And if you rank teams based on how poorly they are built to sustain an outbreak that happens in the middle of the season, we again are probably at least top 5. 

2 Penei Sewell, OT Oregon franchise lt

11 Jaylen Twyman, IDL Pittsburgh stud interior rusher. 

34 Brevin Jordan, TE Miami(FL) high-upside te

67 Jevon Holland, S Oregon starting fs. Can play nb

97 T.J. Carter, CB Memphis cb competition

106 Mohamed Ibrahim, RB Minnesota angry runner

129 Justyn Ross, WR Clemson wr competition

161 Big Kat Bryant, EDGE Auburn edge depth

193 Jimmy Morrissey, IOL Pittsburgh iol depth

On 8/6/2020 at 12:42 PM, pwny said:

Could you show us an example of a QB showing he was the guy, but the team getting the #1 overall pick?

Since this wasn't answered, I pulled data from every team to earn the #1 pick this century. (The Panthers had the #2 pick, but only because the expansion Texans got the #1 pick).

qTKNATB.png

If our passing game looks like any of those, it's time to move on. The closest thing to a guy proving he was viable was Marcus Mariota, and everyone here should be well aware how unviable that is. 

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

Since this wasn't answered, I pulled data from every team to earn the #1 pick this century. (The Panthers had the #2 pick, but only because the expansion Texans got the #1 pick).

qTKNATB.png

If our passing game looks like any of those, it's time to move on. The closest thing to a guy proving he was viable was Marcus Mariota, and everyone here should be well aware how unviable that is. 

Was fairly obvious that if we're picking 1st overall than Minshew is part of the problem.

It's not easy to pick that high. A solid QB is going to will you to a handful of wins. If Minshew can't win at least 6-7+ games, even with the question marks/issues on the roster, he isn't it.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Was fairly obvious that if we're picking 1st overall than Minshew is part of the problem.

It's not easy to pick that high. A solid QB is going to will you to a handful of wins. If Minshew can't win at least 6-7+ games, even with the question marks/issues on the roster, he isn't it.

The other option is that he gets hurt. And I guess that makes it a little bit harder of a choice, but he still hasn't shown enough to justify passing on what appears to be a once a decade prospect.

Maybe if you're picking there and the QB available in front of you is more of the Blake Bortles, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff type "first QB off the board," you consider giving an injured Minshew another shot, but if we're talking a guy who is viewed similarly to Andrew Luck, you can't pass on that for the hope that a 6th round pick who had a pretty decent rookie year becomes a star.

2 hours ago, pwny said:

The other option is that he gets hurt. And I guess that makes it a little bit harder of a choice, but he still hasn't shown enough to justify passing on what appears to be a once a decade prospect.

Maybe if you're picking there and the QB available in front of you is more of the Blake Bortles, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff type "first QB off the board," you consider giving an injured Minshew another shot, but if we're talking a guy who is viewed similarly to Andrew Luck, you can't pass on that for the hope that a 6th round pick who had a pretty decent rookie year becomes a star.

Yeah, I still personally don't see us being in the running for Lawrence (although if we're not a 7-8+ win team/Minshew doesn't prove to be our guy, I'd prefer to be). I'd still be hard pressed not to run up there for Fields though. Lance is intriguing too but going to be interesting how to grade him if he doesn't play this year/in the spring.