2021 nfl mock draft thread

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Its crazy that Sewell could fall outside the Top-5 too

Almost like listening to draft hype a year out about a prospect you don’t even know the name of And then ramping that hype up further tends to be a little off with where things end up. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:22 AM, Charles said:

I think I would break my tv if we took a rb that high.  

-charles

I don't really like it...but the bigger thing for me, would be taking Etienne presumably ahead of Harris.  Would feel like a very, "look this RB played with this QB" thing.  Which is great, but also...when jumping levels, not that important probably.  And just fundamentally...i like Harris better.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, pwny said:

I mean get ready to have a broken tv. Because it’s very possible 

But yeah...i really wouldn't be surprised to see a RB fairly early.  One good year for an undrafted nobody on a terrible team under a completely different regime, isn't going to just instantly solidify the position for Urban and crew coming in.  Especially given the sort of "athletic profile" of Robinson...vs some of the guys they'd potentially be looking at.

When you walk into a program with the intention of competing immediately...you don't just leave a huge piece of that offensive puzzle up in the air with a guy like Robinson.  One year wonders happen all the time in the NFL.  Disappear just as quickly as they appear.

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

One year wonders happen all the time in the NFL.  Disappear just as quickly as they appear.

Yeah, this is a big thing. Urban Meyer isn't Dave Caldwell and isn't going to bank on every single player who played well one year to be healthy and a significant contributor the following year.

I think Robinson's vision and his elusiveness/yards after contact would suggest that as long as he's healthy, he should be a good runner for the next few years, but you can't be successful long term always putting your eggs into a single basket with a position that is going to be vitally important in allowing Trevor to ease into his role as the franchise guy. I don't think you need to spend #25 on a guy to get that, but a selection to make sure the position is staffed with several guys who can man the position is going to be important, and maybe important enough in the staff's eyes to target that way earlier than we'd necessarily like. 

• Like 1

1. Trevor Lawrence QB Clemson duh

25. Caleb Farley CB Virginia Tech kinda boa. Some durability problems but he's arguebly the most talented cb

33. Trevon Moehrig S TCU starting fs

45. Quinn Meinerz OC Wisconsin-Whitewater Future starting g/c

65. Rondale Moore WR Purdue explosive ow

106. Jackson Carman OT Clemson tackle/guard depth

130. Dayo Odeyingbo EDGE Vanderbilt big edge/dl hybrid

145. Jonathan Marshall DT Arkansas dl depth

170. Tre McKitty TE Georgia te competition

249. Gerrid Doaks RB Cincinnati rb depth

On 4/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, pwny said:

Yeah, this is a big thing. Urban Meyer isn't Dave Caldwell and isn't going to bank on every single player who played well one year to be healthy and a significant contributor the following year.

I think Robinson's vision and his elusiveness/yards after contact would suggest that as long as he's healthy, he should be a good runner for the next few years, but you can't be successful long term always putting your eggs into a single basket with a position that is going to be vitally important in allowing Trevor to ease into his role as the franchise guy. I don't think you need to spend #25 on a guy to get that, but a selection to make sure the position is staffed with several guys who can man the position is going to be important, and maybe important enough in the staff's eyes to target that way earlier than we'd necessarily like. 

Yeah.  There's plenty to Robinson's game that makes you feel pretty safely that he's going to continue to be at least a decent contributing RB, if not better.  But there are also some questionmarks, looking at his relative lack of raw explosiveness, and the sort of scheme he did that in, having produced some odd results with RBs at times in the past.

But the idea is more just...not resting on laurels like Dave and Co. so often were inclined to do.  You can't just assume that every player that has a good season is going to have another, even better and just as healthy season the next year.  You can't just assume that everyone is going to translate perfectly across different schemes and roles.  You can't just assume you're going to have enough dynamic rushing in-house to support your rookie QB, or enough pass rush to get home when promoting guys just because a guy put up numbers in an opportunistic role, etc.

If there's a RB they like earlier in the draft...it doesn't hurt to go out and get them.  Getting good pieces, and the right pieces to do what you want, and then having contingencies and insurance behind that is what Good Teams do.

Round 1 Pick 1: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson (A)
Round 2 Pick 1: Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida (A+)
Round 2 Pick 2 (NYJ): Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn State (A)
Round 2 Pick 13: Trevon Moehrig, FS/SS, TCU (A)
Round 3 Pick 1: Levi Onwuzurike, DT, Washington (A+)
Round 3 Pick 2 (NYJ): Kelvin Joseph, CB, Kentucky (A-)
Round 4 Pick 1: Michael Carter, RB, North Carolina (A+)
Round 4 Pick 2 (NYJ): Cameron McGrone, ILB/OLB, Michigan (A+)
Round 4 Pick 25: Aaron Banks, OG, Notre Dame (A+)
Round 5 Pick 1: Cameron Goode, DE/OLB, California (A+)
Round 5 Pick 26: Talanoa Hufanga, FS/SS, USC (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22: Robert Hainsey, OT/OG, Notre Dame (A+)

• JAX
    Trevor Lawrence
    QB Clemson

• JAX
    Greg Newsome II
    CB Northwestern

• JAX
    Trevon Moehrig
    S TCU

• JAX
    Jaelan Phillips
    EDGE Miami (FL)

• JAX
    Tommy Tremble
    TE Notre Dame

• JAX
    D'Ante Smith
    OT East Carolina

• JAX
    Dayo Odeyingbo
    EDGE Vanderbilt

• JAX
    Demetric Felton
    WR UCLA

• JAX
    Kene Nwangwu
    RB Iowa State

• JAX
    Josh Ball
    OT Marshall

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I wouldn't.  Herndon and jones are just guys.  No proven slot cb. 

We just went 1-15. We have much bigger needs.

Besides that, I don't really view Newsome as a slot CB. love him as a prospect, but as an outside guy. CB depth and competition is good especially if we're looking to try to find the right fit at NB, but I don't think we should touch it in the first three rounds, let alone at #25 as our first non-Lawrence pick after drafting C.J. Henderson last year, paying big money to Shaq Griffin in free agency, and having solid depth guys already in Herndon and Jones. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Besides that, I don't really view Newsome as a slot CB. love him as a prospect, but as an outside guy. CB depth and competition is good especially if we're looking to try to find the right fit at NB, but I don't think we should touch it in the first three rounds, let alone at #25 as our first non-Lawrence pick after drafting C.J. Henderson last year, paying big money to Shaq Griffin in free agency, and having solid depth guys already in Herndon and Jones. 

Since we were 1-15 we need to take the best talent available.  

Newsome can play slot. I mean he played slot approximately just as much as he did zone and press so he's experienced in it. 

Jones for the most part has been fairly injury prone and when he was on the field he didn't seem very good till last year.  

Herndon played slot for us before when hayden was out and he wasn't that good at it and he was likely brought back so they wouldn't have to reach for a cb. 

Scott is ? Who couldn't even get pt over claybrooks.

Claybrooks wasn't good but got pt.  

Barcoo played well but for whatever reason wasn't used much. 

I love Newsome as a prospect, but he isn't a top top CB prospect like Horn, Surtain, or Farley. He wouldn't be the unquestioned BPA at #25; there will be players at similar talent level at positions of higher need available. and let's not act like Newsome doesn't have legitimate durability concerns as well.

14 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yeah.  I think we've already made investments there in the draft and FA that would make a CB pick at 25 kind of disappointing for me.  Never hurts to have depth and developing guys to take over, but we're already kinda dug in on two outside guys who should be at least serviceable as a duo.  And we really do have more pressing needs elsewhere.  It'd be a real "luxury pick".  Plus, when it comes to finding a NB...it's not really a "premium" position.  You can often find those guys later in the draft.  Certainly outside the first round.

Just not really that into the idea of a "luxury pick" on a non-premium position like NB, when we have glaring needs pretty much everywhere else on the field.