The Draft: Is it just me?

mwalker

On 5/3/2020 at 8:18 AM, turtle28 said:

I get what you’re saying but, the Draft has become an “EVENT” now, not just a actual drafting of players and analysis of their play that guys like us care about.

This isn’t new, this has been the case this entire century and maybe even the 5 plus years before that dating back to the early 90s when blowhards like Chris Berman and Mel Kiper blew up on ESPN all bc they talked loud and made ridiculous predictions and had crazy sayings.

There used to be more analysis and highlights, that's my point.

• Like 1

The players were just ground down and analyzed for 5+ months.  This is the time when people who said things like Muse is a 5th round player have to bring up new unproven things to  distract attention.  Since there is no OTC with teammates there is really no new information on the players.  Everything is even more speculation like comparing a pick to previous great picks because they ran the 40 at roughly the same time ( ignoring all the failures because all draft choices were great).

• Like 1

Quite a few excellent points made here. Someone said that the NFL is about money and they are correct.  The NFL is definitely trying to widen/broaden its audience.  Years ago, true fans and draftniks were the only ones who watched the draft because to most people who are not in love with football it is boring to listen to players being selected for four, five, six and seven hours of coverage. 

To keep those fans attention, they need the emotional stories, the feel good stories, the tug at your heart string stories and entertainment. Most analysis and breakdowns go into the weeds with fans or people who are not into it that much. The NFL has definitely tried to get more female fans and also draw in some younger folks who are not football geeks or old football geeks. You run into this problem trying to give something to everyone. 

As serious fans and lovers of football, we want deep analysis and the teams to go into the weeds so to speak. I wish that even the pre-draft shows focused on more than the first round or top five prospects. They do features on sleepers, but that is only a handful of players and usually at various positions. Without Supplemental picks there are seven rounds of 32 picks, so why not do a top 200 or top 225? The average  causal fan doesn't care about the 15th best OG or OLB who may be drafted in the 6th or 7th round and eventually develops into a solid pro. 

• Like 1

Bottomline is it’s not going to change. If anything there will just continue to be more and more of those types of stories which have been happening for a while. They didn’t use to show the draft on anything but ESPN, now it’s on ABC and Disney owns both, of you think that’s changing? I have beach front property I’ll sell ya in Nebraska.