How are those Draft Picks Doing?: 2017 Edition

Chiefer

3 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Ugh fine. I'll do it.

1.20 OT Garett Bolles - C+

Physical specimen with a 10-cent head. When he doesn't hold people he's actually not too bad & has never missed a game. 

2.51 DE DeMarcus Walker - C

Useless his first 2 seasons. Was decent last season.

3.82 WR Carlos Henderson - WTF

Went on IR his rookie season & never played a snap. Chris freaking Godwin was taken 2 picks later.

3.101 DB Brendan Langley - F

He was so good at CB that they tried him a WR. LOL.

5.145 TE Jake Butt - F

Played in 3 games total. Thought he was worth a shot. Can't stay healthy. Some dude named George Kittle was drafted right after him.

5.172 WR Isaiah McKenzie - F

Not much to say. Never did anything.

6.203 RB De'Angelo Henderson - F

Neve played in any meaningful capacity.

7.253 QB Chad Kelly - F

Thought he could be a good QB, but he's a headcase.

Woof this takes the cake. Great job Elway and Russell

1st: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
Arguably the best RB in football, just received a big contract extension. 1K rushing/receiving in 2019.
Grade: A+

2nd: Curtis Samuel, WR, Ohio State
Was slowed by injuries early on, but has developed pretty well as a WR despite QB injuries being a major problem during his time here. Had 54 receptions for 627 yards and 6 TD's receiving in 2019; has been the subject of trade rumors recently. Not a homerun pick, but a solid selection and he still has room to grow.
Grade: B

2nd (f/NE): Taylor Moton, OT, Western Michigan
After some initial uncertainty as to where he would play, he has settled in very nicely at right tackle and has been our best OL for the last 2 seasons and one of the better young right tackles in the league. A very good pick here.
Grade: A-

3rd: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
Pretty much a wasted pick. Never did amount to much and was cut after just 1 season, though I think he is still kicking around the league.
Grade: F

5th: Corn Elder, CB, Miami
Is still on our roster despite contributing very little the last couple seasons after being cut, signed to the Giants practice squad, and then re-signed by the Panthers. Not much to see here; I won't give him an 'F' since he at least did see the field a little, but this pick has certainly not worked out.
Grade: D

6th: Alex Armah, FB, West Georgia
He's been our starting fullback pretty much since he's been here. Solid enough pick in the 6th round, I suppose, even if it's not at a premium position or anything.
Grade: B-

7th: Harrison Butker, K, Georgia Tech
He's a Pro Bowl kicker... for the Chiefs. Marty Hurney, our GM (not the one that drafted him, the one that took over after Dave Gettleman was fired before that season) cut him in favor of Graham Gano in a big mistake. A great decision to draft him by Gettleman screwed up by a horrible decision to not keep him by Hurney.
Grade: F (for the Panthers + Marty Hurney) / A (for the Chiefs + Dave Gettleman)

OVERALL THOUGHTS:
This turned out to be a pretty solid draft that could have been even better had Harrison Butker not gotten caught between a transition between two GM's. The 3rd rounder used on Daeshon Hall was a miss as was the 5th rounder used on Corn Elder, but you can't get every pick right. Overall, I'd say this draft ended up turning out pretty well for us.
FINAL GRADE: B+

Edited by CatalystNX
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Danger said:

1. DE Derek Barnett - C+ ::: Disappointing for the 14th overall pick, an adequate starter, but not an impact player. Also makes an absurd number of boneheaded penalties.
2. CB Sidney Jones - C ::: This is going to be his last chance to prove his worth. Common perception thinks he'll be fighting with 2018 4th round pick Avonte Maddox for CB2 duties behind Slay. Maddox is the favorite to win despite his small stature.
3. CB Rasul Douglas - C ::: Ok depth guy, but his poor speed leaves him succeptible to getting beat deep, currently CB5 behind Slay, Maddox, NRC, and Jones.
4. WR Mack Hollins - D- ::: Was cut last year and vastly outperformed by practice squad players who were later promoted.
4. RB Donnell Pumphrey - F ::: I don't know if he ever had a regular season carry.
5. WR Shelton Gibson - D- ::: Never really contributed anything, but was a late round pick. May have had a couple regular season catches at one point.
5. S->LB Nathan Gerry - C ::: He's been a starter for us a lot of last year, he was.... serviceable.... most of the time. He was a late round pick so I can't complain too much.
6. DT Elijah Qualls  - D+ ::: He looked like he had promise in his first year, but was cut to make a roster spot in his 2nd year.

Bonus points for this:

Minnesota Misery: Vikings dominated by Eagles in NFC Championship ...

And this:

philadelphia-eagles-defensive-end-derek-

Other than that, he has not done much, but those are 2 pretty big plays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CatalystNX said:

3rd: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M
Pretty much a wasted pick. Never did amount to much and was cut after just 1 season, though I think he is still kicking around the league.
Grade: F

Frankly, he was contributing on the Eagles until he too got injured in the last play of the regular season. Mind you Joe Ostman had gone down in preseason, but he was our 4th DE often times.

13 hours ago, Danger said:

1. DE Derek Barnett - C+ ::: Disappointing for the 14th overall pick, an adequate starter, but not an impact player. Also makes an absurd number of boneheaded penalties.
2. CB Sidney Jones - C ::: This is going to be his last chance to prove his worth. Common perception thinks he'll be fighting with 2018 4th round pick Avonte Maddox for CB2 duties behind Slay. Maddox is the favorite to win despite his small stature.
3. CB Rasul Douglas - C ::: Ok depth guy, but his poor speed leaves him succeptible to getting beat deep, currently CB5 behind Slay, Maddox, NRC, and Jones.
4. WR Mack Hollins - D- ::: Was cut last year and vastly outperformed by practice squad players who were later promoted.
4. RB Donnell Pumphrey - F ::: I don't know if he ever had a regular season carry.
5. WR Shelton Gibson - D- ::: Never really contributed anything, but was a late round pick. May have had a couple regular season catches at one point.
5. S->LB Nathan Gerry - C ::: He's been a starter for us a lot of last year, he was.... serviceable.... most of the time. He was a late round pick so I can't complain too much.
6. DT Elijah Qualls  - D+ ::: He looked like he had promise in his first year, but was cut to make a roster spot in his 2nd year.

Agree with everything except I bump up Gerry to B given he is not only still on the roster, but starting (...which says more about our LB situation, but that's for another time) which is a lot for a 5th round pick.

9 hours ago, Spartacus said:

These list just go to show you how overrated each draft class is. Most teams dont have 3 solid starters coming out of there draft. 

This thread proves that a "good", B+ level draft is getting at least 3 solid starters. Bonus points for one or more of those guys being an All Pro level talent.

Also shows just how much a gamble the draft is. With injuries, players not fitting systems, players going to ideal systems, ect. it's hard to predict just how great/bad a player will be.

• Like 1

2018 BENGALS DRAFT CLASS

1-21.) Billy Price [C/Ohio State] - D-

The team was desperate for a starting center and had their eye on Frank Ragnow (who went a pick before 21 to Detroit). Drafted while injured, Price has been unable to stay healthy over the course of his career dealing with multiple debilitating injuries. When he has played, he’s looked terrible. The only saving grace of this pick is if his terrible play was due to playing injured. Best case scenario he’s a solid starting guard and a backup center, but I’m not holding my breath. This is why you don’t pick for need, kids. 

2-54.) Jessie Bates [S/Wake Forest] - B+

As advertised, he’s a rangy, ball-hawking safety with great instincts who struggles taking on the run. He hasn’t really had a chance to flourish because our defense as a whole has been terrible since he’s been drafted, but there is a lot of potential here to remain an above average starter, possibly more. He’s one our our few young key cogs on defense.

3-77.) Sam Hubbard [DE/Ohio State] - B+

Another really good pick up in the third. Sam is a high energy, extremely solid football player who does he job really well, while remaining unspectacular. Does the little things really well; sniffs out screens, bats balls, etc. Plays the run stout and is a effective pass rusher who can get after the QB. Every DC wants a Sam Hubbard. 

3-78.) Malik Harrison [LB/Texas] - F

An elite athlete who was purely an developmental prospect, but never developed and washed out of the team quickly. Couldn’t even latch on as a special teamer. Swing and a miss.

4-112.) Mark Walton [RB/Miami] - F

Weird pick at the time considering we really didn’t need an RB this early, but was deemed too good to pass up. Don’t mind the logic, hate the player. Terrible character that’s had multiple run ins with the law. Cut after an eventful offseason. Probably out of the league soon/now.

5-151.) Davontae Harris [CB/Illinois State] - D+

He never got a chance here (was waived early) in a crowded CB room but from what I’ve read he actually turned into a pretty good Bronco and is/was a starting caliber corner. D+ for the Bengals but good pick up for Denver. 

5-158.) Andrew Brown [DL/Virginia] - C+

Rotational lineman who still has some upside (he was a 5-star recruit). It will be interesting to see how he develops moving forward. Nice to get contributors this late. 

5-170.) Darius Phillips [CB/Western Michigan] - B+

Came out of absolute nowhere at the end of last season and balled out. Picked off 4  passes (!) in just 109 snaps (!) - that’s essentially two games worth of action. He should get more playing time this season and hopefully his read hot 2019 carries over. Great pick so far this late. Ball skills as advertised. Can play inside and out. He’s also a prolific return man and could see punts this season. Tempted to give an A here but we haven’t seen enough of a sample size. 

7-249.) Logan Woodside [QB/Toledo] - F

Waived quickly. Currently with Tennessee. 

7-252.) Rod Taylor [G/Ole Miss] - F

Current XFLer. 

7-253.) Auden Tate [WR/Florida State] - B+

It looks as though we have something here. Had a mini-break out in 2019 and played really well when called upon. Purely a big possession receiver, he has unbelievable ball skills and catch radius. He should fit well with Burrow and will have a role this season as he is a menace on back shoulder throws and will bully smaller corners. He will fight for snaps with Ross behind Green, Boyd and Higgins, but will almost certainly have a redzone role. Steal this late. Check him out against Baltimore late in the season:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000001066381/Auden-Tate-s-best-catches-against-the-Ravens

Overall: Really good draft looking back at it now. Two solid starters in Bates and Hubbard, and solid contributors in Phillips and Tate (possibly Brown). That’s really all the returns you can ask for in a draft class.  I’d give it a solid B for now, with potential for more. 

@johndeere1707 @Beck Bristow @theJ @BengalsBite @sparky151 @TheVillain112

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spartacus said:

These list just go to show you how overrated each draft class is. Most teams dont have 3 solid starters coming out of there draft. 

If you get 1 stud, 1 average starter, and 2 role players out of a draft, that is a very successful draft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

5-151.) Davontae Harris [CB/Illinois State] - D+

He never got a chance here (was waived early) in a crowded CB room but from what I’ve read he actually turned into a pretty good Bronco and is/was a starting caliber corner. D+ for the Bengals but good pick up for Denver. 

I'm still mad they waived him and kept that obvious junky CB BW Webb.  It was pretty apparent in preseason that Harris had the stuff to be a starting corner, and we already knew Webb didn't.  Yet, Harris was put out because he was a 5th round pick.

Dumb.

Also, i agree with your grades.

• Like 2