Ravens sign DJ Fluker

M.10.E

Interesting move. If Fluker wins the RG spot he and Brown make for an absolutely massive right side. And then if Phillips actually can play LG... I can dig it.

Let's not forget that D'Alessandris and Fluker spent the latter's first three NFL years together in San Diego. So the offensive line coach has a feel for what the team is getting. 

• Like 5

Really like this. I think the odds that he's not a starter are pretty low unless Year 2 Ben Powers blows the coaching staff away in camp. 

Probably puts Bredesen in line for a redshirt year, whether as an IR stash or Powers-style where he's just inactive every week. Kind of wonder whether he still would have been the pick had we known Fluker was getting released after the draft - going for a guy like Biadasz there could have been more viable had we been thinking that we could let him sit and try and get healthy for a year as opposed to needing them to figure in our plans for 2020 at all. 

• Like 1

So the book on Fluker appears to be basically that he's an awesome run blocker and an average pass protector. In Roman's scheme if you're picking one area over the other to excel at you'd probably pick the run blocking part because you really do need the right pieces to make that blocking scheme work and create the running lanes. Whereas Lamar's mobility helps cover for some of the deficiencies guys have in pass pro. We can probably get by with average from him in pass pro as long as the run blocking makes up for it. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

Man, Fluker and Tyre Phillips are massive dudes. Bredeson is no slouch as it looked like he played at 325 lbs at Michigan.

I wonder if Bozeman and Mekari getting destroyed in the playoff game has caused the Ravens to want to get beefier on the OL. Actually it was really Mekari who got eviscerated. Maybe the idea is to have Bozeman/Bredeson compete at Center and be flanked by behemoths Fluker and Phillips. I think Bozeman has more functional strength than Mekari.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Really like this. I think the odds that he's not a starter are pretty low unless Year 2 Ben Powers blows the coaching staff away in camp. 

Probably puts Bredesen in line for a redshirt year, whether as an IR stash or Powers-style where he's just inactive every week. Kind of wonder whether he still would have been the pick had we known Fluker was getting released after the draft - going for a guy like Biadasz there could have been more viable had we been thinking that we could let him sit and try and get healthy for a year as opposed to needing them to figure in our plans for 2020 at all. 

This and/or is the end of Andre Smith's days in Baltimore (probably holds on until TC as insurance).

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Man, Fluker and Tyre Phillips are massive dudes. Bredeson is no slouch as it looked like he played at 325 lbs at Michigan.

I wonder if Bozeman and Mekari getting destroyed in the playoff game has caused the Ravens to want to get beefier on the OL. Actually it was really Mekari who got eviscerated. Maybe the idea is to have Bozeman/Bredeson compete at Center and be flanked by behemoths Fluker and Phillips. I think Bozeman has more functional strength than Mekari.  

Shhh no Mekari slander is allowed here. 

10 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

This and/or is the end of Andre Smith's days in Baltimore (probably holds on until TC as insurance).

Yeah, that would be my guess. Smith has no real flexibility as a LT so Fluker coming in as a RG that can move out to RT in a pinch makes sense. Especially with the amount of guys the Ravens have that can step in at RG. 

• Like 1