Ravens sign DJ Fluker

M.10.E

10 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I think the nearly immediate Fluker signing points to the org not looking to drastically transform the offense in 2020. Fluker doesn't fit nearly as well if we plan to spread it out and throw the ball 700 times.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd say it indicates we are not as interested in a run scheme that has lots of pulling lineman. We don't need great pass blocking guards with a lightning bolt at QB. We need to threaten the defense with power runs up the middle.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd say it indicates we are not as interested in a run scheme that has lots of pulling lineman. We don't need great pass blocking guards with a lightning bolt at QB. We need to threaten the defense with power runs up the middle.

I wouldn’t necessarily say this will be the case, I think it will depend on who wins the other starting guard spot. I’m sure Fluker outside of something crazy happening will be handed the RG spot. So knowing that I’m sure the major competitions will be at LG and C once again. No way can the coaches hand the starting job back over to Skura (coming off a serious injury) after Mekari filled in admirably down the stretch in his first season ever at the position.

I think we will see Bradley Bozeman and Ben Powers getting a split of the LG snaps, with Tyre Phillips bringing up the rears. With such a shortened offseason I’m sure they’re going to side with experience. So considering that development it’s likely we will see the LG position be occupied by the pulling guard option vs the RG spot where Yanda could do it all. Ben Powers reminds me, in ways, of what Yanda brought to the table as I watch through his collegiate tape from last season. We essentially had him take an injury free “redshirt“ last season on the roster to gain valuable experience, so if (and IMO when) he starts we will cater our rushing attack to suit his skillset and take advantage of him as a pulling option.

Though I suppose we can’t truly discount Tyre Phillips starting and if he does, I definitely think your point about no nonsense, no pulling, just destroying your man in front of you will be a big part of how we establish our rushing attack.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say this will be the case, I think it will depend on who wins the other starting guard spot. I’m sure Fluker outside of something crazy happening will be handed the RG spot. So knowing that I’m sure the major competitions will be at LG and C once again. No way can the coaches hand the starting job back over to Skura (coming off a serious injury) after Mekari filled in admirably down the stretch in his first season ever at the position.

I think we will see Bradley Bozeman and Ben Powers getting a split of the LG snaps, with Tyre Phillips bringing up the rears. With such a shortened offseason I’m sure they’re going to side with experience. So considering that development it’s likely we will see the LG position be occupied by the pulling guard option vs the RG spot where Yanda could do it all. Ben Powers reminds me, in ways, of what Yanda brought to the table as I watch through his collegiate tape from last season. We essentially had him take an injury free “redshirt“ last season on the roster to gain valuable experience, so if (and IMO when) he starts we will cater our rushing attack to suit his skillset and take advantage of him as a pulling option.

Though I suppose we can’t truly discount Tyre Phillips starting and if he does, I definitely think your point about no nonsense, no pulling, just destroying your man in front of you will be a big part of how we establish our rushing attack.

Even with Yanda, our LG was the main puller. The team is "right-handed" in its running game.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

https://overthecap.com/player/d-j-fluker/2192/

Fluker's contract: 1 year - base salary of $1,050,000 - signing bonus of $25,000 - cap number $775,000

He took a veteran's minimum deal to come to Baltimore. That's pretty crazy. Dude really wanted to be with this team. I can't see any way that's what his actual market value is.

That’s insane. I assumed he was somewhere in that $6m range at least. Might end up being just as much value as Calais Campbell when this level of cost is factored into the equation.

• Like 1