PFF Ranks 2017 Eagles OL #1; Eagles DBs #32

Phire

Pro Football Focus ranked the Eagles OL unit as the #1 in the NFL heading into 2017. They also ranked the Eagles DBs dead last at #32. Which is more realistic?

PFF Ranks Eagles OL #1:

Out of all the offensive lines in the NFL, the Eagles currently have the fewest holes. Their biggest question mark heading into 2017 is center Jason Kelce, who is a former PFF All-Pro (2013) in his own right. They also have dominant players like Lane Johnson, who was the best right tackle in the NFL a season ago when on the field.

PFF Ranks Eagles DBs #32:

Patrick Robinson is the notable veteran addition to the secondary, but he is coming off a rough season in Indianapolis that saw him give up a passer rating when targeted of 111.7 in eight appearances. Jalen Mills (31.8 overall grade) and Ron Brooks (40.9 overall grade with Buffalo) failed to impress last season, and rookie Sidney Jones is likely to be limited or unavailable for much of the season with an Achilles injury. Third round pick Rasul Douglas should factor into the equation, as his eight interceptions and 18 total passes defended led FBS in 2016. The safety position features Rodney McLeod, who has 52 missed tackles in four seasons as a starter with the Eagles and Rams, and Malcolm Jenkins, who appears to be past his prime after giving up a combined 13 touchdowns the past two seasons.

Personally I think the Eagles DBs being dead last is more realistic than our OL being #1. I think our OL can be solid, but I don't know that they're #1. However I can totally believe that our DBs would be perceived to be the worst in the league. It was a horrendous unit last year and we've yet to see how they can improve with potentially two new starters and at least one rookie slated to see some substantial playing time. 

Yea..our OL is good..but I'm not sure if it's #1.

It's in the conversation though. We have healthy competition at our weakest spots.

There is a divisional player swap thread in NFL General, and I guess I just suppressed the thought of how bad our corners are til the season came around. Christ.

That said I think our safeties are good enough to not be in the bottom spot, I think they are being harsh on both of them in that take.

I'm not sure the Eagles have the #1 OL in the division much less the NFL.  We'll have to see how the Cowboys line looks this year, but they should still be strong.  I also wouldn't trade the Redskins line for the Eagles line straight up, even though we have some question marks at LG.  

PFF's reasoning is that the Eagles OL has the fewest holes, but I think we really only have the tackle positions locked down. Many people thought or at least wanted Kelce cut this off-season (was never going to happen). He really MUST improve or else that's a huge hole again in the middle of the line. I also don't know that our guard positions are that rock solid either. The more I think about it the more surprised I am that PFF ranked the Eagles OL #1.

6 minutes ago, Phire said:

PFF's reasoning is that the Eagles OL has the fewest holes, but I think we really only have the tackle positions locked down. Many people thought or at least wanted Kelce cut this off-season (was never going to happen). He really MUST improve or else that's a huge hole again in the middle of the line. I also don't know that our guard positions are that rock solid either. The more I think about it the more surprised I am that PFF ranked the Eagles OL #1.

Brooks eventually played well once he dealt with the mental stuff he was going through.

I think we have a very healthy competition at LG and C...a bunch of solid guys fighting over two spots (not all of them could be a center) It's enough to push Kelce, who has been good most of his career. 

I don't even think our OL is #1 in the NFC East. I thought that was pretty apparently the Cowboys. I'd say both teams certainly very well could be top 5 this season though. The DB's, well we have good safeties but corners are abysmal. So both are a bit exaggerated.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I don't even think our OL is #1 in the NFC East. I thought that was pretty apparently the Cowboys. I'd say both teams certainly very well could be top 5 this season though. The DB's, well we have good safeties but corners are abysmal. So both are a bit exaggerated.

I think the Redskins OL is pretty underrated. Their tackles in Williams and Moses are fantastic, Sherff is a monster guard and even though LG and C aren't household names they played really well last year. Add in another good RB like Samaje Perine and that offense is going to be very good.

They're in the same boat as the Cowboys though. They've gotta start putting pressure on the QB.

18 minutes ago, eagles18 said:

to be serious. Our line is very good when healthy. Lane needs to not be drugged up, that'd be nice. 

I think one of the things that sets our OL apart is the depth. With guys like Barbre, Wiz and Seumalo being able to play multiple spots across the line and then a guy with starting experience in Warmack pulling up the back of the pack. It gives you some flexibility when injuries (or drugs) inevitably hit.

1 hour ago, Jlash said:

I think one of the things that sets our OL apart is the depth. With guys like Barbre, Wiz and Seumalo being able to play multiple spots across the line and then a guy with starting experience in Warmack pulling up the back of the pack. It gives you some flexibility when injuries (or drugs) inevitably hit.

I think that's where PFF's reasoning is for the interior. We've definitely got an arsenal of guys to plug the interior of the line if needed. The other side of the coin is that I don't know how solid we are at tackle behind the starters. Our offense was literally night and day with and without Lane Johnson, it was pretty incredible to watch. If our tackles are healthy all year this can definitely be a top 5 OL in the league. 

9 minutes ago, Phire said:

I think that's where PFF's reasoning is for the interior. We've definitely got an arsenal of guys to plug the interior of the line if needed. The other side of the coin is that I don't know how solid we are at tackle behind the starters. Our offense was literally night and day with and without Lane Johnson, it was pretty incredible to watch. If our tackles are healthy all year this can definitely be a top 5 OL in the league. 

Agreed. But big V definitely got better as the season went on. No one will give us the line Lane gives us, but after that horrid start against the Skins V proved a quality back up.

18 hours ago, Danger said:

Without reading the article I'm going to assume PFFs concern with Dallas lies strictly with Collins. He blatantly kinda sucked last year at LG and now they're kicking him out and handing him the starting RT position because of the loss of Free. While he should be better at tackle its a harder position to play. They're also plugging Chaz Green at LG who is a going into his third season with all of two career starts and two major surgeries under his belt.

4 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

Without reading the article I'm going to assume PFFs concern with Dallas lies strictly with Collins. He blatantly kinda sucked last year at LG and now they're kicking him out and handing him the starting RT position because of the loss of Free. While he should be better at tackle its a harder position to play. They're also plugging Chaz Green at LG who is a going into his third season with all of two career starts and two major surgeries under his belt.

I don't disagree, but I'd still take the Redskins Oline over the Eagles.  I think all 3 teams mentioned easily have top 10 Olines in the league though.  

Archived