Multiplying the Multiplicity of Mister Zimmer's Multiple Defense

RpMc

Ok.  I am not opposed to Capers.  It just has seemed that Zimmer is locked into his defensive schemes, but I applaud his wanting to get feedback and new thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

The Vikings may not have completely shut the door on Everson Griffen’s return, but the veteran defensive end remains a free agent at the moment. That means it’s likelier that they’ll be finding a new partner for Danielle Hunter off the edge of their defensive line. Ifeadi Odenigbo said on a Thursday conference call that he’s aiming to be that person.

Odenigbo: “I’m taking that approach. I’ve seen my development from the preseason when I was pass rushing to Week 14, when I started to get in the groove, I had a breakout year, but my approach this year is being more efficient.”

Odenigbo had 23 tackles, seven sacks, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble while playing on 34 percent of the team’s defensive snaps last year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/21/ifeadi-odenigbo-on-replacing-everson-griffen-im-taking-that-approach/

On 28/04/2020 at 4:40 PM, RpMc said:

4-3 Under
LEO - Hunter & Wonnum
3T - Lynch & Odenigbo
1T - Pierce & Stephen
5T - Watts/Johnson & Willekes
SLB - Barr

MLB - Kendricks
WLB - Wilson & Dye

Enviable. 

I think with the pass rushing ability of Hunter, and the edge-setting of Barr (would also be on the line?) this makes a ton of sense. I don't know enough about your players, so are the 5T and 1T immovable run stuffers? If that's Michael Pierce (I believe it is?) then yeah absolutely immovable.  I think Kendricks would be kept relatively clean in this formation as well. As I said, it's an enviable front. I think we played a lot of this last season because we had immovable objects in Shelton and Guy (sort of immovable...) and we used KVN in the Barr role, and Hightower was a sort of hybrid playing where Hunter is, I believe. Sometimes swapped to MLB. But we don't have the horses anymore.

Only question is, would Willekes be good enough at 5t? I think he's more of a motor guy, isn't he? Don't know if he's got the arm length or power for 5T?

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Odenigbo actually has 2 accrued seasons (was active for 6+ weeks in 2018), so he'll be an RFA after 2020.

As an RFA, the Vikings can retain Odenigbo in 2021 for ~$3M (2nd round tender) or ~$4M (1st round tender). If another team were to sign him, they'd owe the Vikings a pick at that level.

If Odenigbo plays well enough as a starter to earn an extension, the Vikings can use his cheap 2021 year as a springboard for a long-term contract, as they did with Thielen coming in to his RFA year, and I wanted them to do with Harris last summer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eric Kendricks was ranked as the league's second-best linebacker by CBS Sports' Sean Wagner-McGough, who noted that he included only the "traditional" off-ball linebackers and not edge rushers (i.e. Khalil Mack, Von Miller or Chandler Jones). He wrote:

"The anchor of the Vikings defense, Kendricks has been a quality linebacker for a while now. But in 2019, he experienced a career season that vaulted him up this list. For the first time in his five-year career, he garnered a [First-Team] All-Pro selection, which was well deserved after a 110-tackle season that also included 12 passes defended. According to PFF, those 12 pass breakups represent "the most we have ever seen over a season from that position." He's consistently one of the best coverage linebackers in football, which matters more in the modern, pass-happy version of the sport.

Since he entered the league in 2015, he ranks fifth in combined tackles and second in passes defended among all linebackers. As the Vikings try to overcome the losses of several key contributors on the defensive side of the ball, they'll need Kendricks to maintain his level of production in 2020. The good news is that there's no real reason to expect a drop-off.

At the age of 28, after a career-best season and entering his sixth NFL season, Kendricks is more likely to be entering his peak than his decline."

https://www.vikings.com/news/eric-kendricks-ranked-2nd-best-linebacker-in-nfl?fbclid=IwAR0UOBgKT4St-0ClM9zPYanDDPP-fF3Od-vUFl21sRlHYvkkX4U9fs4Y0z0

• Like 1

Weird Kendricks used to be the weaker coverage LB and Barr had to take on the man coverage responsibility. Now Kendricks have improved greatly in coverage and now Barr is the weak link in coverage. Kendricks deserves a lot of credit on continue to improve after getting that 1st big contract, unlike other players.    

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...