Green Bay Packers Draft Grade

Golfman

Draft Grade for Green Bay Packers  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What grade are you giving the Packers for this draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2020 at 07:52 PM

For the impact on the 2020 Packers, has to be a D, even with Love in rd 1, I thought the day 2 board presented value at far more premium positions. 

For the future of the Green Bay Packers, could be the best draft since 2005, we'll just have to wait on the result of our first pick and see. 

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know how it isn't an A.  We got a franchise type QB.  As of right now, everyone is a hit, so getting a franchise QB where we did is a lockdown A grade.

I love the Love pick, but after that, not so excited. I do hold out hope for the 0-linemen we drafted late and the 7th round EDGE rusher. I gave us a C, but to your point if Love becomes a franchise QB it becomes an A for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Howler said:

It's has to be a D atm. Maybe Love and Dillon could drag it up to the B/C range, if they overshoot their conventional projections.

Its probably down to Love. If he hits then its an A.   If you get a legit franchise QB when picking 30 then you've won the draft.  I'm not sure how you Grade this. On the face of it we have ignored pretty much every immediate need,  not got value and ended up with a backup QB, maybe 3rd string RB, a full back and what is likely to be late round roster filler.

Its gone pretty much the opposite of what I would hope would happen so have to give it an n F but not going to pretend I know more than the head office so happy to see if it works out by the time grades have any relevance. 

I like the move for Love. It's reasonable to start planning for life after Rodgers. Love looks like a top 10 qb to me.

Dillon will probably get a role this year, I expect him to get some of Williams snaps especially.

Then a TE/FB/H-back type guy. Obviously wanting to move to a heavier set to force teams to play base. If it works, we will love this guy on the field.

negative eleventy billion is what I'm reading on the internet.

A draft so bad that Gute's unborn grandchildren will have to answer for it in 40 years
A draft so bad the Packers would have been better off shutting down their internet connection and passing on all their picks
A draft so uniquely heinous that the NFL will delete all mention of it to protect The Shield and their sponsors from the stench
It was horrible, awful, crappy road- killed skunk wrapped in a stale kale tortilla and covered with sour milk and rotten cheese
It stunk like an overflowing porta potty on a July afternoon at a Tex-Mex food festival

Andy Dufresne said he'd rather crawl through 500 yards of **** than spend one minute looking at the Packers 2020 draft

tumblr_po1vy1RHS21qhxnoxo2_500.gif

• Like 3

The trouble with grades is that they tend to compare drafting to consensus value. That not a hard thing, but a fluid thing, over different teams. Also, almost everyone (outside the teams themselves) underestimates the importance of fit, which can change the value of an individual to a team by several rounds.

If pressed to indicate how I feel about the draft at this time, I felt the Packers didn't address the needs most people felt they had.....needs at WR, DL, and also at OT and ILB (both not addressed with earlier picks in rounds 1-3). It just didn't seem like the right draft at the right time. The Packers went a different way this year, getting picks at positions other  than those of greatest need, and with choices that most of us thought were not good value. A current 'D' can become a 'B' in time..........and if Love really pans out it will be A+ regardless.

Now the organisations decisions are the only ones that actually count, so here I am feeling rather down about the team, but hoping the Packers can show, given time, that they made good choices. I think it was a poor draft, but that opinion is relatively worthless right now. If most people think the same thing in two years time, then the disappointed fans may be right. If, on the other hand the team performs well in it's evolving role, then fans will be happy again. The clock ticks.

PS I actually quite liked the Love pick. It's a roll of the dice for the successor to AR. It is a move that needed to be done within three years (this year being year one). I don't especially love Love, but I don't hate him either. He has a chance, made better by sitting 2 years behind AR.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

I respect the testicular fortitude it took to make the Love pick. I think he is raw, but has a lot of talent, and is a great athlete. I know 12 will be better to him than Favre was to 12. I believe Aaron has already reached out and spoken to him. As for the rest of the draft, I am no expert and do not follow college ball and the players like some of you do. I see mixed feelings from a lot of you. Therefore I have to just play safe and say a "c" right now. The Packers drafted for a philosophy change, and I don't hate that. I didn't believe the offense we saw last year was 100% what MLF wanted to run. I think it was a merger as we worked towards exactly what the Packers did this draft. I hope it works out, and I still believe in Gute, and MLF. I also spoke with other posters about what if there is no season this year. That makes the drafting style interesting as well. This is going to be a draft that is talked about for a long time IMO.

All 32 teams saw the 2018 tape too, and not sure if Love's stock ever rose into the Top 10. Every guy is a franchise QB - until he's not. He is not Aaron Rodgers. Obviously, I hope he adds to the QB lore, but there are some legit concerns there.

Edited by cannondale

I gave it a C 

Hindsight

Love pick is great. Tough to come to the realization that I’m going to be watching another QB in a few years. If this NFL season doesn’t take place this gets an even better grade. Love is a good prospect and as it stands today was a steal at the spot regardless of how it pans out. I don’t think anyone liked giving up a 4th but the packers traded up in front of Seattle for a reason. They’ve traded out of like every single one of their first rounders under Schneider.

I hate the Dillon pick. From the GB scout sound bites they weren’t expecting him to be there. That’s good. I think there was plus value at other positions.

I love Deguara. He’s not a FB and I’m going to light something on fire if I see it on here again lol. We aren’t going to have a FB on the roster next year. Maybe Dillon takes snaps there or Deguara or Jace, sure. But he’s an H back prospect and a damn good one. Familiarize yourself with the position cause we’re going to be using it a lot. Packers went with an eye on offensive versatility there. This is less a DickRod safe pick and more a Jace upside one. Even better with Stern already on the roster. They do what the other doesn’t well and they overlap plenty. 

I don’t know enough about Martin. Liked the other MInnesota LB better. He’s a two down, red zone guy. 

Runyan is going to stick forever. Classic packers G. He should start for awhile and I wonder if the plan is to cut turner... but that’s a lot of line turnover when you bring Lindsey, Turner and Wagner into the equation....or let him shift out to tackle in the coming years. Don’t care for the Center. Packers think they got a steal with that third lineman. I trust them.

I don’t know **** about the DB but that’s our second TCU guy in the 7th in as many years. They’re good athletes so I’m not sad. He’s a special teamer with upside from the looks of it. Fits the role of a DB who can play multiple spots.

Garvin was a steal. Of all the picks this virtual offseason sucks for him tho. He needs to be in a room with Preston and Z.

The sky isn’t falling but it’s not as if this was a homerun draft for me either. Love makes or breaks this one but I think Deguara, Runyan, and Garvin were great picks. Packers really like Dillon and Stepaniak so I’ll trust them there. 
Our UDFA haul was above average too. 

• Like 1