Post Draft Thoughts

Nextyearfordaboyz

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

I agree with these notions in principle, but my counter is that simply having a "good" (back end/cusp of the Top 10) QB sets you apart from so many teams that it's actually worth the 15% of the cap going rate, and demigods like Mahomes are actually worth more than the going rate. It's paying 10% of the cap to guys like Lawrence and Cooper, no disrespect to those guys, where you see diminishing returns. Or 20-25% to your offensive line.

Paying a QB who was making fourth round pick money over $30M/yr makes it harder to win, there's no doubt about that. But that money has to go somewhere and you're not necessarily better off throwing it at three to four $7-10M/yr dudes or two $20M/yr dudes. We fixate so much on wins as a QB stat, yet overlook what that actually implies- no one's holding it against Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas that they never won squat. QBs are really that much more valuable than any other position.

I hear what you're saying. We cant as a group (and not saying you, but some posters) say, Dak isnt the reason we have lost games. He needed better line, better receivers better defense.

Then say he has the most wins. SO if he wins, all glory, if he loses, he needs more help.

Then when we pay him and we lose some of these pieces, are we going to get complaints that it's not Daks fault. He needs more help?

If Dak needs more help, pay him less to get him help. Plain and simple. If Dak can overcome roster deficiencies, give him a blank check. 

16 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Then say he has the most wins. SO if he wins, all glory, if he loses, he needs more help.

I only commented about his win total in response to someone who said he doesn’t win enough.

No one thinks “all glory to Dak” for any win. This is a total straw man argument.

Most people who support Dak think something along these lines... 1) he is a pretty darn good football player, 2) think there are only a small handful of QBs you could reasonably prefer moving forward, 3) that acquiring one you’d prefer is next to impossible, and 4) that the way the QB market works, you have to pay him a lot of money.

No one thinks he is perfect, and no one thinks he can win without any help.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 2

With Dak the opinion is really split. At times he played great last season but in the biggest games what really concerns me he played poorly. I will say this he’s not Quincy Carter lol. Anyway that’s the last im gonna comment on Dak until the contract situation is rectified. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I only commented about his win total in response to someone who said he doesn’t win enough.

No one thinks “all glory to Dak” for any win. This is a total straw man argument.

Most people who support Dak think something along these lines... 1) he is a pretty darn good football player, 2) think there are only a small handful of QBs you could reasonably prefer moving forward, 3) that acquiring one you’d prefer is next to impossible, and 4) that the way the QB market works, you have to pay him a lot of money.

No one thinks he is perfect, and no one thinks he can win without any help.

I would agree with you on basically almost everything you said.

He is a very good football player. 

From what we know right now, excluding some of the younger guys that are still a bit unknown, he is probably in that 5 to 7 range of top QBs I would want for the next 3 to 4 years.

Getting one of the QBs that I would have ranked higher than Dak is nearly impossible. 

The way the QB market is you have to pay him a lot, yes, but doesnt mean we should just give him anything he wants. We have a very solid team around him offensively, that I think a lesser QB could come in and do well, maybe not as well as Dak but if I could save $15 mill a year, might be worth it.

My main thing I hate about the Dak argument, is yes all QBs need some sort of help. But it cant be, Zeke doesnt have an impact on wins, but Dak needs a good run game, needs more weapons, Jarwin is just a guy we have to get an upgrade at Tight end because Gallup, Zeke, Coop and Lamb isnt enough, and hey, we also need to ensure we are taking offensive line help early every year to make sure Dak has a great pocket.

If Dak needs a top running game, 3 above average wide receivers, an above average line all while needing an upgrade at Tight End, then he is not someone we should be paying $35 million too. Because if he needs all of that, give me Teddy Bridgewater at $20 million and use the left over money to bring back Byron Jones.

If we pay Dak that type of money, all excuses are off the table. No blaming the defense or lack of weapons, because once he gets that type of money, we cant pay everyone. 

• Like 1

I am jacked up.  Our draft could not have gone any better.  What worries me is every year I have gone into a Cowboys season with excitement (yes I never will learn) I am let down.  I do think this whole COVID situation is going to set us back.  Not a great year for the team to not be together learning new systems and getting timing down.  Also who knows what will happen with Dak being around because this all hinges on him at this point (good or bad). 

• Like 1

I think of it this way.   As a fan I will always look for ways to improve the team ie right now our offense weakest link is TE followed by OL depth then OL.  I see no way to improve our RB...    there are better WR groups but not a hand full There are better QB but not a ton and even less I would want for the next 4 years   

when I look at Dak I have always thought him more then good enough to win it all last year I think he clearly showed he can be a franchise QB. 

the only QB that has ever come close to winning the super bowl with out “weapons” is Brady and even then I would argue he had his best weapon on the side line compared to most teams as well as on the field while he sat ie his defense    NE Won Most of their games holding their opponents to under 20-24.  Rarely sis they win because they out scored their opponents.  AND YES BRADY really helps here by being clutch..   and in a side note Brady never won without Gronk either

Still last year thought DaK did struggle compared to seasons before in the clutch so he does deserve some hate there and concern   I have my thoughts but will keep them to myself

still this thought that a QB good enough to win by themselves is a rather silly.  Has never happened. A QB to win besides the talent has to have either good play calling or the talent around him to make the plays

mans for the record....

KC is the first team in my memory that actually won the super bowl by literally out scoring their opponent...    and yes Holmes is a huge key but so was Kalcee and the other playmakers around him.  Holmes can make all those crazy plays day in day out and doesn’t do any good if his receivers constantly drop those passes