OROY/DROY 2020

notthatbluestuff

OROY- D’Andre Swift:
- Sure there’s Kerryon Johnson, but I’m not confident he will remain healthy. I think he goes down at some point in camp and Swift takes over the RB1 job and never looks back. Then when KJ comes back Swift can remain healthy enough to keep his impact up over the course of the season. The Lions haven’t had a running game since Sanders and I think he will give them that. What’s more players that can “turn teams around” on offense typically have an advantage. I could see the Lions with an improved IOL creating a legit rushing attack with that passing attack that has always been very volume heavy under Stafford; turning the Lions into the team that surprises and wins that division... and Swift would get a lot of the credit.

- Why not Joe Burrow? Well, he plays in a division where he’s going to see Baltimore’s defense 2x, Steelers defense 2x, and the Browns defense (with MG back) 2x... no offense, but if I have to bet on anyone in those matchups, even with the weapons at his disposal, I’m not going against all those defenses. So that leaves another 10 games where he has to show out with. Plus rookie QBs have a definite learning curve.

DROY- Patrick Queen:
- I’m sure this might be a homer selection, but I strongly like his chances for four reasons: 1) He’s a sideline to sideline player that will pile up tackles, he’s got a lot of hog mollies upfront to keep him clean. 2) He’s a good coverage LB so he should have some opportunity for picks and as a defender you need those splash plays perhaps something like 2-3 interceptions. 3) The Ravens blitzed over 50% of the time last season and Queen was the top blitzing ILB in the SEC last season (IIRC) thus the marriage could lead to something like 7 sacks. 4) The Ravens have historically been known for their defenses and their pedigree of great defenders, plus they should be a top team in the league... Queen should receive plenty of notoriety within the news cycle for that reason.

- Why not Chase Young? He actually could win and has a great shot. Especially if the Redskins make the playoffs, I’m sure he would be considered one of the major lynchpins there. That said, he’s in the trenches and while he’ll have the advantage in creating sacks... he’s not as likely to fill up the stat sheet right away. If Young comes in and gets you say... 11 sacks, but if Queens gets you 7 sacks, plus adds 3 interceptions, 1 for TD, and over 100 solo tackles... and plays on what could be the best defense in the league in 2020... and that might be the difference maker.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

If he's on the roster and making that much money, he's going to be thrown out there for at least 4 games before ceding to Burrow.

That's certainly enough to cost Burrow a single season award.

It didn't cost Tannehill CPOY or Pro Bowl honors though last season.

DROY - CJ Henderson. The Jags' front 7 is dangerous. I don't think QBs will have much time and it will allow him to rack up a lot of INTs. 

OROY - Joe Burrow. He will throw 20-25 TDs with AJ Green back in the line up with about 5-7 INTs. Easy choice for ROY on the O. 

22 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

If he's on the roster and making that much money, he's going to be thrown out there for at least 4 games before ceding to Burrow.

That's certainly enough to cost Burrow a single season award.

We can put that to bed.

OROTY   Burrow or Tua, but gut says Burrow plays 16 games, while Tua is groomed behind Fitz while also letting his hip strengthen

DROTY- Simmons will have a far bigger impact, but Young will pile up sacks on that line, making him the runaway winner in voting

OROY- If it doesn't go to a QB my guess would be Jonathan Taylor. He seems to be getting criminally underrated and is the best RB in the draft. I think he found a good landing spot as well with the Colts where he shouldn't have much of a problem taking over early as the lead back. Seems like the Colts had a pretty good run game last year, so Taylor should have some nice holes to run through and should be able to utilize his elite combo of size/speed to consistently make plays in the 2nd level. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

OROY- If it doesn't go to a QB my guess would be Jonathan Taylor. He seems to be getting criminally underrated and is the best RB in the draft. I think he found a good landing spot as well with the Colts where he shouldn't have much of a problem taking over early as the lead back. Seems like the Colts had a pretty good run game last year, so Taylor should have some nice holes to run through and should be able to utilize his elite combo of size/speed to consistently make plays in the 2nd level. 

Maybe I'm overrating him but I feel like Marlon Mack is a really good runner in his own right so I'm not seeing how that's not a timeshare at least in 2020 unless Mack gets injured. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Maybe I'm overrating him but I feel like Marlon Mack is a really good runner in his own right so I'm not seeing how that's not a timeshare at least in 2020 unless Mack gets injured. 

I think Mack is a solid RB, but I think Jonathan Taylor has top 5 type potential at the position, which is something I don't think Mack is anywhere near. The Colts OL seems to be a pretty good run blocking unit, so Taylor should be able to showcase his ability early on. It seemed like just about any RB the Colts put out last year was getting good production, so I think a guy like Taylor should feast behind that OL and is likely going to make some teams regret passing on him.

The RB situation reminds me a little of the 2006/2007 Vikings teams. In 2006 Chester Taylor had a good season with 1,200+ rushing yards, but the Vikings picked Adrian Peterson in the 2007 draft. Adrian Peterson took over early on in his rookie season in 2007 and had an excellent year, but Chester Taylor was still able to carve out a solid year as well as the number 2 RB. I think the Colts will be near the top of the league in rushing attempts this year, so there will be plenty of carries to go around.

Edited by tyler735

On 4/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Love Herbert at +1600 just given the weapons he has to work with if he gets a chance to start most of the season. Akers at +2000 as a potential RB1 in the Rams offense looks p spicy as well. 

I think Tyrod starts there but gets benched if he stinks it up. Call me crazy. Darnold got his Left Tackle, And a new WR1. Keep an eye on Mims. Also like Dobbins to make noise

On 5/1/2020 at 1:22 PM, tyler735 said:

I think Mack is a solid RB, but I think Jonathan Taylor has top 5 type potential at the position, which is something I don't think Mack is anywhere near. The Colts OL seems to be a pretty good run blocking unit, so Taylor should be able to showcase his ability early on. It seemed like just about any RB the Colts put out last year was getting good production, so I think a guy like Taylor should feast behind that OL and is likely going to make some teams regret passing on him.

I'm not really sold on Taylor. What do you like about him to heap that kind of praise on him?

From what I've seen he's obviously big and fast, but he lacks power and balance. I didn't see him create many yards for himself and he looked mostly dependent on adequate blocking to be effective (he should get that in Indy). He also doesn't offer much as a receiver, which is an odd fit with Philip Rivers who always seems to be at his best with a Danny Woodhead/Austin Ekeler-type as an outlet. Overall, he's just not my cup of tea, but maybe I just haven't seen enough.

I also thought the pick was a bit redundant considering what they have there in Marlon Mack, who I'll admit isn't a budding superstar but is still a high-end two-down RB. If they were going for an upgrade, I'd rather them target a 3-down RB better suited to Rivers game. 

On 5/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, tyler735 said:

Not sure if this is because he’s yet to be mentioned or not, I have him as my top rated RB in this class, but Marlon Mack has put up 1000-1100 YFS the past two seasons and will likely have a better grip on the playbook. Also while he’s not durable enough to be a workhorse back, in a rotation he’s likely more able to remain healthy. I think Taylor eventually surpasses him on the depth chart by the end of the season and accumulates something like 1300 YFS... but it’ll take a long enough time to limit his chances of winning that award IMO. I see much of the same happening with JK Dobbins on the Ravens, Ingram will be too steady and durable for JKD to truly offset until potentially late in the season. Will likely be in a similar 1200-1300 YFS output as well, given the potency of our rushing attack, but the limited carries to go around.

21 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I'm not really sold on Taylor. What do you like about him to heap that kind of praise on him?

From what I've seen he's obviously big and fast, but he lacks power and balance. I didn't see him create many yards for himself and he looked mostly dependent on adequate blocking to be effective (he should get that in Indy). He also doesn't offer much as a receiver, which is an odd fit with Philip Rivers who always seems to be at his best with a Danny Woodhead/Austin Ekeler-type as an outlet. Overall, he's just not my cup of tea, but maybe I just haven't seen enough.

I also thought the pick was a bit redundant considering what they have there in Marlon Mack, who I'll admit isn't a budding superstar but is still a high-end two-down RB. If they were going for an upgrade, I'd rather them target a 3-down RB better suited to Rivers game. 

I think there's a lot to like with Taylor. There's his production where he went over 2,000 yards of offense each of his 3 seasons in the Big 10. Then the elite size/speed combo running a 4.39 40 at 226lbs puts him right near the top in the NFL for RB's. I thought he showed good patience to let plays develop and had the ability to sift through traffic and once he finds a crease, he consistently utilized his explosiveness well for big gains. He doesn't strike me as being as physical as his size would suggest, as he isn't a Marshawn Lynch type looking for contact, but he still runs through arm tackles with ease. On his highlights you can see once he gets into the second level he is moving so fast and with his size, would be tacklers often times just bounce off of him. 

As for creating yards, I can't say if agree. As mentioned before I thought he showed good patience to find a crease and sift through traffic on many of his runs to get "hidden" yardage that many RB's would have simply forced the issue and try to bounce outside or run into their OL's backs. PFF also had him at 1,250 yards after contact in each of his 3 seasons

I love this play on a cut back here. The explosion on the jump cut followed by the burst through the hole and finishes it off outrunning the secondary.

As for his ability receiving the ball, and being a good RB for Phillip Rivers style of play, I can't say I really agree there. Wisconsin really doesn't emphasize passing the ball to their RB's all that often. If we look at 2 of their recent NFL products that have been successful RB's in James White and Melvin Gordon, both of them have been significantly better in terms of receiving production in the NFL compared to their days playing for the Badgers where they hardly made an impact catching the ball. Given the success that Melvin Gordon had catching the ball with Phillip Rivers throwing to him, I doubt it will be an issue for Taylor who I think will follow suit and be more productive receiving in the NFL. Taylor this past season receiving was more productive than Gordon was in his entire Badger career. Taylor showed some glimpses as a receiver

I don't view the selection of him being redundant with Mack on the roster. Taylor is easily on another level from a talent standpoint. I think Mack is a solid RB playing behind a great OL. He's probably a top 15/top 20 RB, Taylor on the other hand has the ability to much better than that and should be an instant upgrade. I think Mack will still be a great RB #2 for the Colts and should help them have a top level run game for this upcoming season.

Edited by tyler735