Absurdly Early 2021 Mock Draft

BayRaider

6 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

And it's apparent you haven't watched Sewell, I stand by my statement, be would have easily been the 1st OT taken this year as well. 

I've seen clips of him. We might have a shutdown CB, or a great edge rusher, or a generational WR available, too at #3 (assuming #1 & #2 are QB's).

I think having a merely good OT with an elite WR/CB/DE is more desirable than a elite OT with a merely good WR/CB/DE.

7 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

I've seen clips of him. We might have a shutdown CB, or a great edge rusher, or a generational WR available, too at #3 (assuming #1 & #2 are QB's).

I think having a merely good OT with an elite WR/CB/DE is more desirable than a elite OT with a merely good WR/CB/DE.

If you think Sewell is "merely good" I stand by my statement you have watched him.  xD And if your QB is on his back, what good is an elite WR ??

Yeahhh I would normally argue the QB thing for the Redskins because I honestly don't think they're as bad as many people think, but if they are number one, hell in the top 5, I would say QB is probably going to need to be addressed.

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

- Lance may propel himself into a Top 2 Draft Pick. The 2 Projected QBs (Lawrence, Fields) are almost never the Top 2 Actual QBs. 

About this: You're absolutely correct. Now, Trevor Lawrence is an excellent prospect, but let's not forget the last several QBs that were "destined" to be high first-round picks after their freshman seasons. I mean, in that group, you have guys like Josh Rosen (who actually was a high first-round pick), Christian Hackenberg (oof), and Deondre Francois (undrafted after winding up at Hampton). Fromm was also living off of earlier hype. Lawrence is probably the exception to the rule, but it's just food for thought.

Also, here's a look at the projected top-3 QBs in the past several drafts before the season:

2020: Tua Tagovailo'a, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert (ended up being Burrow, Tua, Herbert)

2019: Justin Herbert, Jarrett Stidham, Shea Patterson (Murray, Jones, Haskins)

2018: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson (Mayfield, Darnold, Allen)

2017: Deshone Kizer, Brad Kaaya, Deshaun Watson (Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson)

2016: Christian Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, Jared Goff (Goff, Wentz, Lynch)

How horrid is that record? Those weren't my rankings, by the way. If you're curious, I had Allen as QB2 behind Jackson up until the Senior Bowl, and then I moved him to QB1. I had Drew Lock as QB1 for 2019 during the entirety of the process. I hated Shea Patterson and Christian Hackenberg as prospects, while I was lukewarm on Kaaya and Fromm. Anyways, that's how many people had the top-3 QBs ranked a year before the draft, and it was very, VERY inaccurate. 2016 is a special case, as there was no true consensus, except that Goff was in the top-3. Hackenberg seemed to regularly be placed very highly, as did Cardale Jones, but some analysts also thought that JT Barrett, Connor Cook, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, and even guys like Matt Pawlowski, Brandon Doughty, and John Robertson would be the first QB off the board. 

History says that it's likely that two of the top-three QBs drafted won't even be in the pre-season projections, and the top QB drafted hasn't been the most-hyped before the season. I mean, some people did have Goff as QB1, but the consensus QB1 a year prior to the draft hasn't been the draft's QB1 for a while now. Lawrence is likely the exception to the rule, but while many of us are thinking that Lawrence, Fields, and Newman are the top-three QBs next year, I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's Lawrence, a flawed second-tier QB prospect like a Kellen Mond, Ian Book, or Sam Ehlinger, and then someone who comes out of nowhere as the top-3 QBs drafted. Or, for the first time for years, we'll actually be able to guess the top-3 QBs a year prior to the draft... But how boring is that?

17 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

If you think Sewell is "merely good" I stand by my statement you have watched him.  xD And if your QB is on his back, what good is an elite WR ??

No, he would be the elite OT in my posted scenario. And I'd never pass on an elite EDGE, WR, or CB for an elite OT.

Edited by Tetsujin

I like the player and the position as of right now depending on if we sign another edge rusher this FA.   But can never have to many pass rushers on a team so i like it.   Picking 8th will dang sure mean the end of Quinn and TD theirs not doubt about that.  Would need to see who we bring in the front office and head coach while watching who they cut and keep for their scheme to see what positions we would really need most.

23 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

100% on board with the Sewell pick.  If he goes before we pick, I could see Chase as well, especially after Ross is gone, and if Green doesn't return to pre-injury level of play.

No argument on Sewell, but just imagine going forward with Chase , Boyd, Higgins, and Tate.  Wouldn't have to touch WR on draft day before day 3 for 2-4 years.