Absurdly Early 2021 Mock Draft

BayRaider

On 4/28/2020 at 6:27 PM, BayRaider said:

Ahh, the annual "Dallas needs a DB in the first round" mock draft. This nonsense shows up literally every single year, even immediately after they use first and/or second round picks on DBs.

Seriously, the Cowboys' 7 round draft could go like the one below, and clowns will still claim they'll need a DB in the first round the following year:

Round 1. CB

Round 2. S

Round 3. CB

Round 4. S

Round 5. CB

Round 6. S

Round 7. CB

Edited by plan9misfit

• 1 month later...

I completely disagree with the Devonta Smith pick to the Browns. WR may be the deepest unit on the Browns.

I don't buy the argument that the Browns may move on from OBJ and Jarvis next year.....

WHY??

Move on from the biggest talent they have had at WR in at least a generation? Maybe the problem last year was an offensive scheme designed by a coach that had ZERO clue how to maximize the talent in front of him.

Move on from the most productive WR the first 5-6 years in his career in NFL history? And the BEST locker room presence that we have had in forever?

The offensive tackle play was so abysmal last year that Andrew Berry HAD to address that first and foremost this past offseason. I think the April 2021 draft will be very heavily defensive themed.

Any of these players still on your mock board would help the Browns immensely more than a WR. (Bolded are my preferences)

S Andre Cisco

CB Paulson Adebo

DL Jaylen Twyman (Aaron Donald comp on this website)

CB Shawn Wade (#1 corner on this website)

S Hamsah Nasirildeen

EDGE Xavier Thomas

CB Caleb Farley (#1 corner per Pro Football Focus)

Edited by brooks1957

• 3 weeks later...

Packers fan here, despite our team's fan out rage over not drafting a WR, we got a couple of potential candidates that can step up there, and I'd say there are three positions where there are bigger needs (in no order): OT, DT and CB. Not only that, but our best OT (David Bakhtiari), best DT (Kenny Clark) and 2nd best CB (Kevin King) are all FAs next year, with most saying OT Bak and DT Clark are MUST SIGNS! .... and they're right, if we lose them, we got a bit more than nothing at those positions.

That being said, I would like a good pass rushing DT to go with Clark, who might be the best all around NT in the NFL right now. 

That being said, the Packers have a pretty good pass rush unit (mostly via the edge rushers), and they REALLY could use an upgrade at CB, where the depth looks quite questionable, and that's before possibly losing CB King. And you have a CB going right after the Packers selection, and looking at the Packers recent top 33 overall selections 5 of the last 8 have been for DBs (I would of said 1st round, but they traded back and got Kevin King at #33 overall). Including the new GM, 2 of his first 4 1st round picks have been DBs (and FA and the 1st round is the only place he's had good success with DBs so far, even the 2nd rounder DB looks like a bust right now). 

So I believe if there is a CB worth the Packers pick, they'll be looking hard at them. Also possibly OT, depends on how they do at OT after losing Bryan Bulaga, but RT looks a bit shakey.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, Karnage84 said:

If the Lions are picking in the top 10 they are going to be taking a QB. It'll be a new regime with a new HC and GM. 

That makes sense.  Stafford has had a good career, but he is getting up there in age and that back injury has to be worrisome.  As you said, a Top 6 pick means you are probably looking at a new coach, so he will want his guy at QB.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:49 PM, plan9misfit said:

Ahh, the annual "Dallas needs a DB in the first round" mock draft. This nonsense shows up literally every single year, even immediately after they use first and/or second round picks on DBs.

Well, Jones is gone. A CB would make sense if a talented one drops. Most of that roster is filled out already and CB's are high value positions.

6 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Well, Jones is gone. A CB would make sense if a talented one drops. Most of that roster is filled out already and CB's are high value positions.

That doesn’t matter. “Experts” do this every year. They did it immediately after Dallas drafted Byron Jones. It’s just laziness and a lack of attention to detail.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 3:37 PM, HoboRocket said:

About this: You're absolutely correct. Now, Trevor Lawrence is an excellent prospect, but let's not forget the last several QBs that were "destined" to be high first-round picks after their freshman seasons. I mean, in that group, you have guys like Josh Rosen (who actually was a high first-round pick), Christian Hackenberg (oof), and Deondre Francois (undrafted after winding up at Hampton). Fromm was also living off of earlier hype. Lawrence is probably the exception to the rule, but it's just food for thought.

Also, here's a look at the projected top-3 QBs in the past several drafts before the season:

2020: Tua Tagovailo'a, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert (ended up being Burrow, Tua, Herbert)

2019: Justin Herbert, Jarrett Stidham, Shea Patterson (Murray, Jones, Haskins)

2018: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Lamar Jackson (Mayfield, Darnold, Allen)

2017: Deshone Kizer, Brad Kaaya, Deshaun Watson (Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson)

2016: Christian Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, Jared Goff (Goff, Wentz, Lynch)

How horrid is that record? Those weren't my rankings, by the way. If you're curious, I had Allen as QB2 behind Jackson up until the Senior Bowl, and then I moved him to QB1. I had Drew Lock as QB1 for 2019 during the entirety of the process. I hated Shea Patterson and Christian Hackenberg as prospects, while I was lukewarm on Kaaya and Fromm. Anyways, that's how many people had the top-3 QBs ranked a year before the draft, and it was very, VERY inaccurate. 2016 is a special case, as there was no true consensus, except that Goff was in the top-3. Hackenberg seemed to regularly be placed very highly, as did Cardale Jones, but some analysts also thought that JT Barrett, Connor Cook, Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, and even guys like Matt Pawlowski, Brandon Doughty, and John Robertson would be the first QB off the board. 

History says that it's likely that two of the top-three QBs drafted won't even be in the pre-season projections, and the top QB drafted hasn't been the most-hyped before the season. I mean, some people did have Goff as QB1, but the consensus QB1 a year prior to the draft hasn't been the draft's QB1 for a while now. Lawrence is likely the exception to the rule, but while many of us are thinking that Lawrence, Fields, and Newman are the top-three QBs next year, I wouldn't be shocked at all if it's Lawrence, a flawed second-tier QB prospect like a Kellen Mond, Ian Book, or Sam Ehlinger, and then someone who comes out of nowhere as the top-3 QBs drafted. Or, for the first time for years, we'll actually be able to guess the top-3 QBs a year prior to the draft... But how boring is that?

That was a really interesting post. It's something that I've talked about with friends but it is especially good to see it laid out like that. Thanks for posting. 

On 7/27/2020 at 11:13 PM, Uncle Buck said:

That makes sense.  Stafford has had a good career, but he is getting up there in age and that back injury has to be worrisome.  As you said, a Top 6 pick means you are probably looking at a new coach, so he will want his guy at QB.

100%. The Lions would be trading away pure NE style guys to other Patriot disciples (Houston, NE, Miami, etc.) and in full rebuild mode (again). I don't see the offense changing on a wholesale basis but you never know. The defense would end up being completely retooled. 

• 5 weeks later...