Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

32. Houston Texans 

Watch: Bill O'Brien made funny mistake in announcing roster cut

This Class In One Sentence:
I like Ross Blacklock

Pre-Draft Needs 
DL, CB, EDGE, WR

Selections
2. 40. Ross Blacklock | DT | TCU
3. 90. Jonathan Greenard | EDGE | Florida
4. 126. Charlie Heck | OT | North Carolina
4. 141. John Reid | CB | Penn State
5. 171. Isaiah Coulter | WR | Rhode Island

Picks Heading In
2. 40.
3. 90.
4. 111.
5. 171.
7. 240.
7. 248.
7. 250.

Favorite Pick
Ross Blacklock – There was a definitely a need for an interior defender who can disrupt from snap to snap. Blacklock is a twitched-up and long-armed inside pass-rusher who can shoot through gaps for fun. He was regularly in the opposition backfield at TCU and has fast and active hands to go with his get-off and an array of different moves in his arsenal. The main issue for him is getting the production to match the skill-set. 

Most Questionable Pick
Nothing stands out as particularly egregious, there’s just very little there that moves the needle

Overview
With under market returns for the Pro Bowl players they have lost combined with over market value they’ve paid out during that time, the Texans were not set-up well to go out and dominate in the draft. As it is, i'm not sure they even got great returns on the capital left. Ross Blacklock looks like very good value at pick 40, injecting some disruptive traits where it is much needed. Greenard has upside as a rotational rusher, but I wasn’t in love with him as a prospect. I’m not sure what the role they have in mind for him because he’s not great in space, but probably won't would to be in Houston. He’s not a very explosive rusher either,  more of a snap anticipator - but he is excellent with his hands and a fairly stout run defender. 

The Texans obviously didn’t feel great about their offensive line depth, despite their overall improvements last year. Charlie Heck moves well for a 6’8 tackle, but he does play very high and man his tape is really not good. A 4th round pick is a little rich and I can’t imagine he’s more than a swing guy at the next level unless he gets some decent coaching. I did like the John Reid pick as someone who could compete for a slot role, he’s quick and smart. Isaiah Coulter in the 5th has enticing size and athletic traits, but will need probably need some time to develop based on his lack of seasoning outside of a small conference. 

• Like 3

I gave the Texans the lowest grade in the Grade Your Rivals thread in the AFCS, so that makes sense.  They did take three players I liked more than their projections with their first three picks, so just on that, I like their draft a bit.  But the more I look at everyone else, there was just so much talent in this class, it's hard to absolutely hate anyone's draft.

Them at the bottom makes sense if you're factoring in their trades.