Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

31. Green Bay Packers

Packers: Brian Gutekunst has placed immense pressure on himself

This Class In One Sentence:
The Galaxy Brain draft

Pre-Draft Needs 
WR, TE, OT, LB, DL

Selections
1. 26. Jordan Love  | QB | Utah State
2. 62. A. J. Dillon  | RB  | Boston College
3. 94. Josiah Deguara  | TE | Cincinnati
5. 175. Kamal Martin  | LB | Minnesota
6. 192. Jon Runyan Jr.  | G | Michigan
6. 208. Jake Hanson  | C | Oregon
6. 209. Simon Stepaniak  | G | Indiana
7. 236. Vernon Scott  | FS | TCU
7. 242. Jonathan Garvin  | DE | Miami (FL)

Picks Heading In
1. 30
2. 62
3. 93
4. 136
5. 175
6. 192
6. 208
6. 209
7. 236
7. 242

Favorite Pick
I’m really struggling to find a pick I actually like. Jordan Love is the best player Green Bay drafted and I like his potential overall, but I struggle to get onboard with the thinking that led to that selection. 

Most Questionable Pick
Jordan Love – The pick which launch a thousand debates about team building philosophies. I think whoever selected Love was going to need to sit him for a while and he’s in a really nice situation to marinate behind Aaron Rodgers. Arguably this is a better pick for him than it is for Green Bay in the short term, who now won’t have a first-round contributor at a crucial spot until that succession has played out. Which could be a long while yet.  

Overview
Whilst other teams with ageing quarterbacks loaded up to put their team in the best possible position for a title challenge, the Packers decided to move away from addressing the obvious areas of need which held them back last year. You’ve got to ask, where are the receiving weapons? I mean, this wasn’t a draft where they were hard to find and this team was stunted by the passing attack last year. Other areas which may have seen improvements at tackle, defensive line and linebacker were also either overlooked or only lightly invested in. Aaron Rodgers should rightly feel aggrieved. 

Perhaps securing the legacy of a starting quarterback weighs much heavier in Green Bay than it does on larger market teams, they’ve enjoyed 25 years of uninterrupted top-level play there. Love certainly has elements of both Favre and Rodgers in his game and the Packers have must have thought very highly of him to make that move up. He’s certainly talented enough to reward that investment, but I don’t know about that timing. It’s right to ask whether they are better to be all-in at the end of their current signal-callers career, than to be looking at life beyond him. 

It doesn’t help Green Bay’s immediate prospects that the next two selections were on role players like AJ Dillon and Josiah Deguera. Neither particularly excite at the spots they were taken in. Dillon doesn’t have much experience in the passing game, but was highly productive at Boston College and has the physicality to wear opposition defensive teams down later in the season. I can’t imagine that his early selection was not made without closely paying attention to what the Titans were able to do at the tail end of last year. Deguera is kind of a blue collar TE2 or H-Back with some ability as a receiver and run blocker, he should have a role of some sort early on.  

From there, there’s a plethora of late round picks who seem steady at best. I’d be shocked if Kamal Martin is the long-term solution at linebacker, he didn’t look like anything more than a special teams contributor to me and he did a lot of that in Minnesota. The run on three 6th round offensive lineman might yield a contributor, although all three went about where they were expected to land. Green Bay has a good track record of bringing linemen through the ranks and I’d expect at least one of those to emerge along the line. I don’t much know much about Vernon Scott, but I don’t mind the late round swing on Jonathan Garvin who has some physical tools to see where he might catch on as a developmental rusher. 

• Like 2

Green Bay is the one I thought would be #32. I like the pick for Love. If you have a QB you like, get him. A not inconsiderable second feature is kick Aaron Rodgers in the ***. He needed it. 

As you say, the rest of the draft is role players and projects. Denver did as well with just their 3rd day unless Love is a future star. 

J

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

It’s amazing to me that Green Bay did not address the receiver position at all in a stacked class. 

But they did take a tight end and a running back with their next picks.

Granted, they didn't take any that actually can catch, but the positions still catch theoretically!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

It’s amazing to me that Green Bay did not address the receiver position at all in a stacked class. 

Sounds like LaFleur is trying to build an offense similar to Shanahan's 49ers. I'm worried it may be more similar to the 2018 Titans which is...yeah...

• Like 1

One has to wonder if Green Bay was planning in case the season is lost in developing a QB for the future. Certainly Aaron Rodgers isn’t getting any younger, and my impression is that he might be a tough player to coach with a younger coaching staff. I could totally see Rodgers getting traded for a high pick while his value is still somewhat high. 

5 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

One has to wonder if Green Bay was planning in case the season is lost in developing a QB for the future. Certainly Aaron Rodgers isn’t getting any younger, and my impression is that he might be a tough player to coach with a younger coaching staff. I could totally see Rodgers getting traded for a high pick while his value is still somewhat high. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

WR is definitely something we could have used, but I would list DL as something we definitely needed help at. And we didn't get any. Our WR room is full of guys that could take a step, so I understand the hesitation to get someone past round 1, since it seems clear Love was their plan in the 1st... which we will need some years to find out if that was a good pick.

8 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

32. Houston Texans 

Eh. I actually liked the draft. I don't love it, and I'm not going to argue against this rank, given the moves that led to these picks - but I like Blacklock, Greenard and Reid as immediate contributors. Heck is a project, but he's better than Rod Johnson or Chris Clark at least. Coulter probably wins some PT on ST at most (if that).

It's been a comedy of errors with the Texans as of late. I wouldn't put this particular draft in with those errors, however. It's a basic draft, sure. Nothing to get ramped up for, yes. That either means it was good overall, or my expectations are so low, I'm just happy pick #40 wasn't a P.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Green Bay is the one I thought would be #32. I like the pick for Love. If you have a QB you like, get him. A not inconsiderable second feature is kick Aaron Rodgers in the ***. He needed it. 

As you say, the rest of the draft is role players and projects. Denver did as well with just their 3rd day unless Love is a future star. 

J

Mark it down as a W for the Packers Front Office that someone else managed to screw up worse than they did.

Green Bay drafted like they just went 3-13, not 13-3. They left the NFC wide open now.

• Like 2