Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Most Questionable Pick
Cole Kmet – I had him ranked quite a bit lower, but thought he would go higher due to the weakness in the class, but man why a tight end? The Bears of 2018 were extremely hard to move the ball against, just load up on the defense. How many tight ends do you need? Kmet is the 10th player to hit that position on the current roster. He tested out as a better athlete than he shows on the field, where he looks a little deliberate as a route runner and doesn’t play to his size. Not a good blocker in-line, but has the frame to see significant improvements there.

I didn’t understand the hype around this guy. From what I saw he was a stiff, plodding mover. Not nearly as athletic (or fast) on tape as he was at the combine. Maybe I haven’t seen enough but I don’t imagine him breaking out as a pro. I was surprised to see him going that early. 

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I don't understand why Titans fans are so hung up on this. BoB is 8-4 against the Titans. The Titans are the only team in the division that BoB has beaten every single year. I'd only think you'd want a guy like BoB gone, given the Titans can't consistently beat him.

Yeah... he's a bad GM and a bad HC. He's also a Titan killer, based on his resume.

What hope said. You may have had a super bowl appearance or super bowl victory if not for billy

7 hours ago, sshle_ said:

Well I believe having a great running attack makes Rodgers more dangerous.

Obviously on play actions and it allows to limit the possession of the opponent and turn Rodgers into a closure. 

If you can have a running back start the possession with great runs and give Rodgers a play action play near the red zone, you're limiting his wear and giving him the ability to make important throws for points. 

Sort of like the NBA, have your second star do all the work in the 1st and 2nd quarter to the mid of the 3rd quarter which sets up your first star for the remainder of the third and  fourth quarter. 

Now, if only Rodgers could scramble and make runs. If Love develops his IQ like Rodgers then his value should be the first overall pick ala Patrick Malhomes. 

I think the best influence on Rodgers is a slap in the face, because he's a prima donna. It's just a perk that comes with drafting a QB you like, but not an inconsiderable one. 

The Packers were beaten by a ground game, so your point has merit. The problem is that Dillon does not look like anything but a hammer with speed. There is no quickness or elusiveness to his game and he is a nonfactor as a receiver. He should be ideal in short yardage and GL situations, but not as an every down back. I could be wrong, but think his upside is Natrone Means, who had a 3.7 ypc career. I have no problem with him as a player, so long as you get him outside the top 100. 

Love isn't Patrick Mahomes. Green Bays' own Brett Favre would be a better comp. That's if it works. The list of failed Favre types is too long to mention, and no one remembers the names anyway. 

J

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sshle_ said:

If Love develops his IQ like Rodgers then his value should be the first overall pick ala Patrick Malhomes. 

And fixes his ball placement.  And vision.  And accuracy.  And decision making.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

That questionable value theme continued into the 2nd round with Darrell Taylor, at pick 48. This time at a position which has been tricky for them to fill. Taylor is a perfectly sized toolsy edge who can set the edge in the run game, but he doesn’t always play up to his physical potential there. He also comes into the league with more than a few whispers of off-field stuff.

Did he?  Because I don't remember any rumors of that during his time in Tennessee.

Juaun Jennings definitely did, but the only thing I ever remember about Taylor was a fight during practice in like his freshman year.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I didn’t understand the hype around this guy. From what I saw he was a stiff, plodding mover. Not nearly as athletic (or fast) on tape as he was at the combine. Maybe I haven’t seen enough but I don’t imagine him breaking out as a pro. I was surprised to see him going that early. 

He's a projection pick.  He's young and hasn't filled out his frame yet, so it's expected that in the next year or two he'll add a lot more weight and strength.

34 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

What hope said. You may have had a super bowl appearance or super bowl victory if not for billy

Yes, possible. There are still a few flaws with the Texans, but it's possible that Watson, Hopkins and Co. could pull one out...

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I thoroughly disliked him as a pro. I think he's around a Ryan Griffin ceiling, a guy who can do everything OK (maybe even below average) but does nothing special.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I thoroughly disliked him as a pro. I think he's around a Ryan Griffin ceiling, a guy who can do everything OK (maybe even below average) but does nothing special.

Looks like a much slower Kyle Rudolph with some blocking ability.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And fixes his ball placement.  And vision.  And accuracy.  And decision making.

Did he?  Because I don't remember any rumors of that during his time in Tennessee.

Juaun Jennings definitely did, but the only thing I ever remember about Taylor was a fight during practice in like his freshman year.

He's a projection pick.  He's young and hasn't filled out his frame yet, so it's expected that in the next year or two he'll add a lot more weight and strength.

That’s great and all but strength and size wasn’t his issue when I watched him, in fact it was closer to his strength than it was a weakness as a prospect. He was already huge in college playing against weaker/smaller opposition, and he still didn’t standout. 

His issue is a complete lack of movement ability/fluidity to develop as a capable NFL route runner. That’s not the kind of thing you improve on by getting stronger in an NFL weight room. You either have the potential for it or you don’t. It’s part of why I hated the Drew Sample pick last year so much for the Bengals. There is zero Kittle/Kelce to Sample or Kmet’s game. How can you expect them to be valuable NFL assets or live up to their 2nd round pedigree if they share none of those Pro Bowl qualities?

Edited by SmittyBacall

28. Pittsburgh Steelers

Has Kevin Colbert Done Enough to Deserve Another Season as ...

This Class In One Sentence:
A decent attempt to plug holes on a roster which no longer looks like a contender

Pre-Draft Needs 
DL, RB, OL, WR

Selections
2. 49. Chase Claypool  | WR | Notre Dame
3. 102. Alex Highsmith  | OLB | Charlotte
4. 124. Anthony McFarland Jr.  | RB | Maryland
4. 135. Kevin Dotson  | G | Louisiana
6. 198. Antoine Brooks  | S | Maryland
7. 232. Carlos Davis  | DT | Nebraska

Picks Heading In
2. 49
3. 102
4. 124
4. 135
6. 198
7. 232

Favorite Pick
Kevin Dotson – A bull-strong interior guard who was incredibly unlucky not to get a combine invite. Whilst he’s not the most athletic mover, he’s extremely powerful at the POA and moves guys off the ball in a booth. Pittsburgh is a good landing spot for a player who is well placed to outplay his draft position. 

Most Questionable Pick
Chase Claypool – Absolutely not questioning Pittsburgh’s desire to pick-up a bigger body at receiver, Claypool has an enticing athletic profile that makes him an attractive prospect in this range. There’s been a number of similar sized athletic freak big slot/move tight ends drafted in recent years and we’ve yet to see one really fulfil that athletic potential. As of now, Claypool’s best usage is unclear coming into the NFL which may limit his ability to make an early impact. He’s someone who does his best work vertically, so could be a nice option up the seams – but he’s not someone who will shake defenders loose laterally. 

Overview
Drafts with no 1st round picks are always going to struggle to stand out in a top-down rankings list without that star power at the top. With Minkah Fitzpatrick’s play calming some of the uncertainty around the 1st round pick exchange last year. He’s the real headline of this draft but doesn’t come into equation for this review. Outside of him, it’s a little boom or bust – with big pay-offs if they can hit on some of these earlier picks. Perhaps there’s some disappointment that a higher pick was not used on a defensive lineman in the wake of Javon Hargrave’s departure, or on one of the big running back prospects. 

The Steelers will hope that Alex Highsmith in the 3rd injects some of the depth needed behind their top two edge rushers. He dominated at a low level where his quickness shined, but his play strength will be tested in the NFL. McFarland’s highlight reel was very impressive at Maryland, where he was dinged up in his final year. A smaller back, he’s got an explosive change of direction and can be devastating in space. His skill-set is very different to the patient contact balance runners who have thrived in Pittsburgh of late and he’s more of a compliment to that than a replacement. The draft is rounded off by picks on Antoine Brooks and Carlos Davis. Another Maryland alum, Brooks is a hard-hitting safety with noted limitations in man coverage. Carlos Davis, twin of Khalil, impressed alongside his brother at the combine where they shined in a way that rarely shows up on their film. 

• Like 1

Yeah I wasn't particularly big on Pittsburgh's draft at all, but I couldn't really tell if that was me a.) actually not loving their picks, b.) me being a ravens fan and innately wanting to dislike their picks, or c.) me being a salty Maryland alum who's had to watch my least favorite team roster more terps than anyone in recent memory.

• Like 2