Goldfish's Way Too Early Draft Rankings 2020 (All up)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Mark it down as a W for the Packers Front Office that someone else managed to screw up worse than they did.

Green Bay drafted like they just went 3-13, not 13-3. They left the NFC wide open now.

GB drafted like they just went 15-1 and was upset by a 10-6 team because of 4 FG in the red zone. Read that, one tweak away from a SB.

Unlike the Chiefs, who also draft no WR but signed 5 UDFA WR, the Packers only signed one UDFA WR. Darrell Stewart is a solid WR project, but that's all they got from this class. The bulk of the signings are at RB and defense. If you want to retool your special teams, that would make a lot of sense, but I am not getting that vibe from the FO. 

J

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

GB drafted like they just went 15-1 and was upset by a 10-6 team because of 4 FG in the red zone. Read that, one tweak away from a SB.

Unlike the Chiefs, who also draft no WR but signed 5 UDFA WR, the Packers only signed one UDFA WR. Darrell Stewart is a solid WR project, but that's all they got from this class. The bulk of the signings are at RB and defense. If you want to retool your special teams, that would make a lot of sense, but I am not getting that vibe from the FO. 

J

Well I believe having a great running attack makes Rodgers more dangerous.

Obviously on play actions and it allows to limit the possession of the opponent and turn Rodgers into a closure. 

If you can have a running back start the possession with great runs and give Rodgers a play action play near the red zone, you're limiting his wear and giving him the ability to make important throws for points. 

Sort of like the NBA, have your second star do all the work in the 1st and 2nd quarter to the mid of the 3rd quarter which sets up your first star for the remainder of the third and  fourth quarter. 

Now, if only Rodgers could scramble and make runs. If Love develops his IQ like Rodgers then his value should be the first overall pick ala Patrick Malhomes. 

Edited by sshle_

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh. I actually liked the draft. I don't love it, and I'm not going to argue against this rank, given the moves that led to these picks - but I like Blacklock, Greenard and Reid as immediate contributors. Heck is a project, but he's better than Rod Johnson or Chris Clark at least. Coulter probably wins some PT on ST at most (if that).

It's been a comedy of errors with the Texans as of late. I wouldn't put this particular draft in with those errors, however. It's a basic draft, sure. Nothing to get ramped up for, yes. That either means it was good overall, or my expectations are so low, I'm just happy pick #40 wasn't a P.

extend bob tbh

39 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

extend bob tbh

I don't understand why Titans fans are so hung up on this. BoB is 8-4 against the Titans. The Titans are the only team in the division that BoB has beaten every single year. I'd only think you'd want a guy like BoB gone, given the Titans can't consistently beat him.

Yeah... he's a bad GM and a bad HC. He's also a Titan killer, based on his resume.

13 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don't understand why Titans fans are so hung up on this. BoB is 8-4 against the Titans. The Titans are the only team in the division that BoB has beaten every single year. I'd only think you'd want a guy like BoB gone, given the Titans can't consistently beat him.

Yeah... he's a bad GM and a bad HC. He's also a Titan killer, based on his resume.

yeah, now imagine how lopsided that would be if you guys had a real coach

• Like 4

30. Chicago Bears

Where does Ryan Pace have the Bears after half a decade at the ...

This Class In One Sentence
Ryan Pace is bad at his job

Pre-Draft Needs 
G, CB, S, WR, OT

Selections
2. 43. Cole Kmet | TE | Notre Dame
2. 50. Jaylon Johnson | CB | Utah
5. 155. Trevis Gipson | EDGE | Tulsa
5. 163. Kindle Vildor | CB | Georgia Southern
5. 173. Darnell Mooney | WR | Tulane
7. 226. Arlington Hambright | G | Colorado
7. 227. Lachavious Simmons | OT | Tennessee State

Picks Heading In 
2. 43.
2. 50.
5. 163.
6. 198.
6. 200.
7. 226.
7. 233.

Favorite Pick
Jaylon Johnson  – Exceptional value here to get a physical boundary corner.  He's a student of the game off the field and plays smart and with physicality. He has some limitations in his movements, but the Bears were really lucky to be able to get a player of Johnson’s quality here. 

Most Questionable Pick
Cole Kmet – I had him ranked quite a bit lower, but thought he would go higher due to the weakness in the class, but man why a tight end? The Bears of 2018 were extremely hard to move the ball against, just load up on the defense. How many tight ends do you need? Kmet is the 10th player to hit that position on the current roster. He tested out as a better athlete than he shows on the field, where he looks a little deliberate as a route runner and doesn’t play to his size. Not a good blocker in-line, but has the frame to see significant improvements there.

Overview
Pace has spent the last couple of seasons playing win-now with a roster that wasn’t ready to do that and now he’s reaping the rewards of what trading away future assets does to your ability to supplement the roster with draft picks. And, it’s not a roster without its holes, and a poor off-season has limited opportunities to improve on a poor 2019 showing facing what could be a season-long QB battle from hell between Trubisky and Foles. Drafting a tight end, who didn’t set the world on fire in college, with that first pick might even set them back with contributors needed now. The Bears were at their best two seasons ago playing great defensive football and it might have been a smart move to load up on players on that side of the football. 

That said, there is still some stuff to like about this class. Kmet has potential to be good, I just don’t think we will see that soon. Johnson, meanwhile, has the talent to play meaningful minutes early on. Gipson is a roll of the dice on a raw later round pick to try and inject some depth at edge, he's got some bend and flex - but not really well balanced or powerful. I like the next two picks on Kindle Vildor, a feisty trash talking slot corner, and Darnell Mooney a slight but electric receiver. The two late round selections were on two offensive linemen and i'm not entirely sure they actually exist. Perhaps they are a speculative effort to upgrade a troublesome situation at right guard.

• Like 1

29. Seattle Seahawks

Seahawks' 2020 NFL draft has been quintessentially unpredictable

This Class In One Sentence
It sort of feels like a lot of these picks could have been made in the same round

Pre-Draft Needs 
WR, CB, RB, OL, DL

Selections
1. 27. Jordyn Brooks  | LB | Texas Tech
2. 48. Darrell Taylor  | DE | Tennessee
3. 69. Damien Lewis  | G | LSU
4. 133. Colby Parkinson  | TE | Stanford
4. 144. DeeJay Dallas  | RB | Miami (FL)
5. 148. Alton Robinson  | DE | Syracuse
6. 214. Freddie Swain  | WR | Florida
7. 251. Stephen Sullivan  | TE | LSU

Picks Heading In
1. 27
2. 59
2. 64
3. 101
4. 133
4. 144
6. 215

Favorite Pick
Damien Lewis - A chunky brute of an interior offensive lineman who is well-suited to a power-heavy scheme. Bull-strong anchor and heavy hands make him an incredibly tough opponent to move. He might be the best offensive line pick Schneider has made (not a high bar). 

Most Questionable Pick
Jordan Brooks – This is where the phrasing of ‘most questionable pick’ is helpful, because I do like Jordan Brooks as a prospect – just not in the range he was picked. Plus linebacker is a weird route to see them go in the 1st round and seeing him go ahead of Patrick Queen was kinda wild. He does have good range and his athleticism is where you like to see it. He is quick to diagnose and a consistent TFL threat. But if he’s KJ Wright’s replacement(?), you’d like to have seen him operate in coverage more. 

Overview
We’ve probably hit another tier in the rankings. Man, Seattle are such a confusingly run team with a completely different value system for the sorts of players they covet in the first round. You just cannot predict where they will go. It didn’t seem long ago, that their questionable early selections were dismissed as players other teams had also liked but had been overlooked by the media/draftnik community. But clearly something else is going on, they really just seem to prefer guys there others wouldn’t take. With the last three picks in the 1st spent on Germain Ifedi, Rashad Penny and LJ Collier – it’s fair to view their track record with scepticism. 

That questionable value theme continued into the 2nd round with Darrell Taylor, at pick 48. This time at a position which has been tricky for them to fill. Taylor is a perfectly sized toolsy edge who can set the edge in the run game, but he doesn’t always play up to his physical potential there. He also comes into the league with more than a few whispers of off-field stuff. With things back on track after the Lewis selection, the rest of the draft has stuff to like. Colby Parkinson was a bit of an after-thought, even in a weak tight end class. A tall, leaner pass catching big slot with some surprising quickness. DeeJay Dallas joined him as a fellow 4th round selection, a barrelling runner who excels as a pass protector – it might have been slightly early for him. 

Alton Robinson had a strange up and down career at Syracuse, notably failing to live up to high expectations coming into his final year. Still, he has the physical tools to succeed if he can develop some nuance to his rush plans – a 5th round pick feels like good value here. Freddie Swain’s kick returner ability probably got him drafted after a break-out year in Florida. He’s got a very narrow frame, but is a real livewire in the slot if his play strength doesn’t hold him back. Stephen Sullivan rounds things off as an extremely raw tight end/big slot receiver who could give the passing attack some size and athleticism if he can develop in the NFL.