Sign in to follow this  
onejayhawk

Position Duels: Punter

The Chiefs have officially released Dustin Colquitt after a long and record filled career. This begs the question of who will replace him. Here is an article introducing the two  candidates on roster.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/4/28/21239904/evaluating-the-chiefs-options-at-punter

While it's nice to have precision, raw leg has its points as well. So this is a classic matchup of punting styles. One point worth noting, Tyler Newsome outkicked his coverage a lot in college. With gunners of the grade the Chiefs can bring, that may be less of an issue in the NFL. 

J

Chiefs guaranteed 85k$ of Townsend's deal ...

Which is small change in the scheme of things. TT was among the top ten punters coming out this year, so there would have been competition. 

I think they are confident one of these two will work out. Just paying a signing bonus does not give Townsend the job. That said, he has a higher floor.

J

Worst case scenario, they both suck, and we just don't punt.

17 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Worst case scenario, they both suck, and we just don't punt.

Best case is we just don't punt because we always score.

We did have such a game last season year. :ph34r:

The blocked punt at the start of the Houston playoff game could have been huge. While I did not expect them to release DQ, I did suspected they would make him earn his spot.

J

11 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

We did have such a game last season year. :ph34r:

The blocked punt at the start of the Houston playoff game could have been huge. While I did not expect them to release DQ, I did suspected they would make him earn his spot.

J

That's what I said a while ago. Releasing him now may have been a cap related move, but really - his play declined a bit over the past two seasons or so.