Teams and Their 'Types'

Hunter2_1

What examples can you think of where specific teams like to have certain types of players, or players that fit a particular criteria/skill set.

For example;

SF seem to like After-the-Catch monsters - elusive, physical, strong etc after catch. Kittle (led everyone in YAC the last two seasons), Deebo (led all receivers in YAC as a rookie), and they've added Aiyuk who....yep.....led all receivers in YAC. Home runners with ball in hand in space, I guess. (What a pick, by the way Shan). Also, Jauan Jennings (7th rnd) is an after-the-catch monster but in more of a physical way. Only CeeDee Lamb had more yards after contact per catch, and forced missed tackles on 51% of catches (pff). 

NE clearly are peculiar with players, and BB likes versatile players, high IQ high work ethic players and is willing to reach on players that fit. For example using their first pick on a DIV 2 combine freak that can line up in multiple positions. Also, NE is the team that can take cast-offs deemed not good enough elsewhere and just gets them doing the one thing they are good which makes them serviceable. 

Also for NE, BB evaluates pass rushers/DL differently. Puts more emphasis on 2-gapping and maintaining discipline rather than out-right pass rush skill. Quite frustrating actually.

Others?

Bill nO-Brain likes players who buy into his dictatorship...

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 2

The Ravens - for pretty much their entire existence - have sought out the tough, physical, baddest-guy-on-the-block types. 

It's really cool as a fan to constantly hear even the national media reference the hard-hitting, physical type players in the draft/league as guys who "just play like a Raven". I feel very fortunate that that's my team's identity because to me that's the coolest identity to have as a team. 

• Like 3

It’s not even one year into the Joe Douglas era, but he seems to prefer athletic offensive linemen that rarely ever get flagged and ideally have high makeup grades. If I remember correctly, the team’s entire projected starting line for this coming season was flagged for a combined seven penalties all of last season. 

The focus on athleticism, discipline, and character seems to extend to other positions as well. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The Ravens - for pretty much their entire existence - have sought out the tough, physical, baddest-guy-on-the-block types. 

It's really cool as a fan to constantly hear even the national media reference the hard-hitting, physical type players in the draft/league as guys who "just play like a Raven". I feel very fortunate that that's my team's identity because to me that's the coolest identity to have as a team. 

You're really an offshoot of us, but that's ok.  

• Like 1

This one is easy for the Falcons as we prefer to draft explosive athletic guys sometimes a bit smaller than the avg dude but usually a bit more versatile that can play multiple positions.  Then we really target a ton of guys who are team leader/captains more often than not.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

/agree

As and Eagles fan I hate playing Baltimore in the preseason because they try to blitz you and hurt you there too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

/agree

As and Eagles fan I hate playing Baltimore in the preseason because they try to blitz you and hurt you there too.

Oh, you think just because they've happened to win their last 16 preseason games that they are trying harder than everyone else?

• Like 1

Browns- I cant even keep track considering how many times there have been regime changes over the past 20 years. Everything from GMs who love the flashy pick who will put fans in the stands, to GMs who will take risks on players who have poor past for the sake of getting value and finally GMs who try to get cute with tradedowns for asset accumulation that treat players like scratch off lottery tickets.

Broncos- for the last few years have made it a point to draft former Captains in college and players with 'leadership' qualities..That seems to be their go to for getting good solid contributors in the middle/late rounds that know will work hard and be positive locker room guys 

• Like 1