Will 2020 Season Start In Sept?

NFL Network

Knowing the NFL, they’ll try as hard as possible to make sure there’s a season. So I’d say yes.

My stance with all upcoming sports is either play them the way they’ve always been played or don’t play them at all. Crowd impact is pretty big in NFL. No modifying and watering down the product. 

There was like no one in the stands in the 2nd Ravens/Bengals game late last year at Paul Brown and i still enjoyed it just fine on TV.

People choosing no NFL over an NFL without fans in the stands are wild. Either that or they don’t have much hope that their team will be any good next year so they don’t mind lol.

• Like 1

If an effective treatment is found (I'm not talking about a vaccine - that is too far off probably) that a doctor can give to a patient to alleviate the symptoms of COVID-19 so folks don't get real sick life should return to something resembling normal.

21 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

They will sell the empty seats to advertisers, that's valuable real estate on a broadcast and its either ticket sales or ad sales

This is accurate, and they know people will still be watching heavily. Fans don't make it for me when I'm watching at home.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29131481/dolphins-reveal-plans-host-fans-stadium

"We would have times to come in for security at different gates so people would be separated out in terms of when they enter the stadium," Garfinkel said. "We would exit the stadium much like a church environment where each row exits so people aren't filing out all at the same time in a herd."

Hard Rock Stadium can hold approximately 65,000 fans for a football game, but the Dolphins said they might be down to 15,000 fans for the next season as they adjust to a different setup

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 10:55 AM, iknowcool said:

Fans in attendance, probably not. 

But I'm fairly certain the season will start in September.  They will find a way.  By then, MLB will have started their season in June or July-ish.  NBA could be back on the court too for the playoffs.  As long as things go smoothly with those leagues, then the NFL should be okay to start in September.

Lotta wishful thinking here.  MLB and NBA are nowhere close to starting.  The chances either play is remote IMO despite the talk we are hearing right now.  I also think there will be no NFL season.  The governor of California said the likelihood of there being NFL games in his state in the fall are remote.

There's a strong possibility we see no sports until spring 2021 at the earliest.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:01 AM, onejayhawk said:

It is beginning to look certain that there will be a season. The details are still in flux, but I would not be surprised if Training camp started on time and in full.

J

6 weeks ago nobody saw the entire country shutting down.  You really think they can predict what will happen months from now?

If you look at other pandemics in the past like the Spanish Flu, it got much worse before it got better.  I would say right now its wishful thinking to think we've been through the worst of it.  This could just be the start.

IMO the chances we have an NFL season in 2020 is remote.

20 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

I've been curious. I don't think it'll happen but if the season was cancelled, how would they do the 2021 draft and determine the draft order?

Looks like there’s no choice but to give it to Cincinnati again. Shame.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, VanS said:

The governor of California said the likelihood of there being NFL games in his state in the fall are remote.

Source? 

He said it’s unlikely there would be games with fans, not that there wouldn’t be games.

• Like 1

I can’t imagine the NFL not playing at all, too much money at stake. Ad revenue alone should be able to keep the league afloat even without ticket and concession sales I’d imagine (at least for a year).

Fans in the stands?  Maybe in some spread out manner, but I’m pretty skeptical there.