Will 2020 Season Start In Sept?

NFL Network

On 4/29/2020 at 8:58 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Yeah but no fans will likely be allowed most likely. 

However I do think maybe they allow a limited number of fans to the game with spacing between each group of seats to avoid contact with people you otherwise wouldn’t be around. Risky but if planned properly it could work.

Maybe players family but they have to pay.

There is no doubt in my mind there will be games, just have no idea if there will be able to be fans.

Remember the NFL is a business, a multi multi multi billion dollar business. If there is a way to play games--they will find whatever way possible to make sure that happens so they can still get the TV money.

By September testing should be easily available so I would imagine they would test all players before each game and then let them go play.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I can’t imagine the NFL not playing at all, too much money at stake. Ad revenue alone should be able to keep the league afloat even without ticket and concession sales I’d imagine (at least for a year).

Fans in the stands?  Maybe in some spread out manner, but I’m pretty skeptical there.

They just shut down the entire economy for 6 weeks.  You think the NFL is more important than the country's entire economy?

If the virus is still spreading and killing people in the fall, the government will not allow any NFL games despite how much money the owners and players stand to lose.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

By September testing should be easily available so I would imagine they would test all players before each game and then let them go play.

This assumes that the virus stays the same from now till then which is no guarantee.  Viruses mutate regularly.  Also they're not sure there is antibody resistance for this strain which means people could get infected again after already having the virus at an earlier time.

At this point nobody knows anything about what will happen with this virus in the coming.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't see how things get markedly better in the fall.  This thing might be with us until 2021. 

5 minutes ago, VanS said:

They just shut down the entire economy for 6 weeks.  You think the NFL is more important than the country's entire economy?

If the virus is still spreading and killing people in the fall, the government will not allow any NFL games despite how much money the owners and players stand to lose.

You are 100% incorrect about this.

16 minutes ago, VanS said:

holy strawman Batman. 😂. 

and what are they doing after closing it?  You know, like right now?   Ah yes, opening it up.

Oh sweet summer child.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:
30 minutes ago, VanS said:

You are 100% incorrect about this.

I disagree with you. The NBA and NHL are not above this, and neither is the NHL. Things are still going downhill in a lot of places in the US. Opening early might set it back even further. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, VanS said:

Also they're not sure there is antibody resistance for this strain which means people could get infected again after already having the virus at an earlier time.

This Chinese study confirms that 100% of patients that contract the virus develop long-term antibodies. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0897-1

51 minutes ago, VanS said:

This isn’t necessarily true. It depends on the new number of cases during that time period. The virus could still be spreading and people could still be dying, but at the same time if cases are steadily declining they could continue to play.  

43 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I disagree with you. The NBA and NHL are not above this, and neither is the NHL. Things are still going downhill in a lot of places in the US. Opening early might set it back even further. 

You're definitely right about the bolded. That will not stop the NFL from opening earlier than they should. If the NFL comes out and says 'we are opening on schedule like this wasn't even happening', the only people who could stop them are the players.

It would be nice if attendee-less games leads to the NFL working with cable networks to supplement that revenue by offering what the MLB does where you could buy a team's season worth of games. Out of network fans, like myself, would jump at this. It's very much a pipe dream, but if one situation would lead to it, it could be this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

You're definitely right about the bolded. That will not stop the NFL from opening earlier than they should. If the NFL comes out and says 'we are opening on schedule like this wasn't even happening', the only people who could stop them are the players.

or, you know, the states could compel stadiums to not allow x amount of people at any time. and how does the league react if some states are open and some aren't? home/road games? it would be a mess

i sincerely hope we get football in september, both becaues i love the game and because that means the situation has improved enough to allow for it, which is separately a great thing. i just dont take it for granted that we will have a full season

Edited by Turnobili

2 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Let's say that they play but there's no fans in the seats. League revenue is going to take a huge hit. How far does the salary cap drop in 2021 or do they work it out where it doesn't despite extenuating circumstances?

I think ad revenue will pick up some of the slack.

It will have all hella eyeballs on every game, especially if CFB isn’t happening.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think ad revenue will pick up some of the slack.

It will have all hella eyeballs on every game, especially if CFB isn’t happening.

As I mentioned earlier, they will sell the open seats to advertisers to hang banners and the camera's will linger there in lieu of crowd shots
The bulk of the cash for the cap comes from TV rights and ads. The ticket/beer/merch sales/parking are considered local revenue and while its part of the overall split, the teams keep a bigger chunk of that money. So having no fans hurts the local team the most

This is an older article, but it lays out the 3 buckets of cash that go into the cap calculation.
The new CBA changed some of the multipliers, but the 3 main buckets remain the same: Media, NFL ventures and local revenue

http://salarycapcrunch.com/projecting-nfl-salary-cap-2016-20-seasons/

The NFL is a juggernaut and they'll find a way to have the games IF the NFLPA signs off on it.
Some players are already grousing about taking added risks for themselves and their families, so its not an easy situation.
I am not sure if there is any pandemic language in the CBA, but I don't think the owners can force them to play against their will.

• Like 1