Goodell forgoes entire 40 million salary

rob_shadows

52 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Any word on what is going to happen with the $40 million?  I would assume it could be split equally amongst the 32 teams to help offset staffing/labor hours for game day employees in the case of limited/no fans, or I could see the NFL donating it to various charities.  

I think this is Goodell setting the tone for player salary cuts. This was a PR move, especially if the $$ just sits idle in the NFL bank accounts

Assuming the NFL hits the field this year, potentially with empty stadiums (Ticket sales, concession, parking, etc, etc, etc) accounts for a huge amount of revenue. Revenue that is used to calculate the salary cap. If Revenues are down (TV still makes up a huge portion, which is why they will still play in empty stadiums, or a reduced schedule) the players may be asked (or required) to take a hit. Wouldn't look goof if NFL Execs are still making their bread, while expecting players to take a haircut, especially from a PR point of view

Edited by TheGame316

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I wonder if this is a precursor for things to come, as in a shortened or no season, or games without fans, cutting into league revenue.

That's exactly why he is doing this. You can't ask players to take pay cuts accordingly  (which will be coming) if games are canceled if you at the highest levels aren't willing to cut your pay as well. I have zero doubt Owners have asked him to do this with the intent possibly of compensating him back money lost in the future.

He is setting the precedent,  which is about to occur if the worst happens.  A shorten NFL season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

How bizarre is it that he even makes that much? I mean, the obscene incomes of athletes the world over is explained/excused by the fact they generate revenue.

Does Goodell generate twice as much revenue as Tom Brady? Or 4x as much as  Gronk?

Simple answer... yes. TV Deals, Advertising, PR, taking pressure off the owners, creating fanbases worldwide... he’s made the league very profitable. He doesn’t get nearly the credit he deserves because some fans loathe him. 

Edited by Louis Friend

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Simple answer... yes. TV Deals, Advertising, PR, taking pressure off the owners, creating fanbases worldwide... he’s made the league very profitable. He doesn’t get nearly the credit he deserves because some fans loathe him. 

Good post and there are a couple of different fan groups that loathe Roger - mainly because he doesn't work for us, he works for them

Some are against Roger the Sheriff, Judge and Jury
Some are against Roger the Safety Officer, enforcing the don't hit anybody too hard rules
Some loathe Roger because he always chooses more cash/commercials over the quality of the viewing experience
There's more.
But the crazy thing about it is that he's not really responsible for any of it, all he does is the owners bidding as you noted above. He's just the frontman that takes all the crap. The current NFL is not necessarily a better game, but its certainly more popular and profitable -  and that's what his bosses want.

• Like 1