Breaking Down Cole Kmet

WindyCity

In that vein, I heard him interviewed and he was asked if he could learn play book and he kind of chuckled and then said he could.  

It wasn’t arrogant, he just didn’t have any doubt or question that he could understand something written on paper in principle.   

That being said I have coached a couple of geniuses or nearly so and they were also good athletes and really had trouble picking up proper fundamentals.

I coached really smart kids and they could pick it up near instantly.  

Humans are weird.   I heard a genius explain it once by saying people with 20+ IQ points of difference have trouble communicating with each other.   Maybe I just can’t communicate properly with super smart people.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

In that vein, I heard him interviewed and he was asked if he could learn play book and he kind of chuckled and then said he could.  

It wasn’t arrogant, he just didn’t have any doubt or question that he could understand something written on paper in principle.   

Nagy said as well that he's beyond impressed with Kmet's grasp of the playbook. He said as much as he tries in meetings, he just can't stump him.

• Like 1

I just don't like the way he runs routes. If you study Ertz, you see a player with proper forward lean, weight always over his feet. Kmet looks too vertical and stiff. I don't see anything resembling burst in his movement. It's frustrating but I'm guilty of loving quick twitch athletes.

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

I just don't like the way he runs routes. If you study Ertz, you see a player with proper forward lean, weight always over his feet. Kmet looks too vertical and stiff. I don't see anything resembling burst in his movement. It's frustrating but I'm guilty of loving quick twitch athletes.

I think it is clear Notre Dame Kmet would be a disaster at this level of play.

The hope and desire is he is a good piece of clay and quickly improves and develops by correcting his flaws.

There is some reason to be optimistic that he will improve without baseball and trying to be a good college student.

Actually Horstead had same exact issues with addition of going through a position change from WR to TE.   Horstead won't have advantage of being a 2nd round pick though and afforded opportunities and team commitment that come with that.

I hope they don't forget about Horstead.  I feel like he has potential to be a good receiving TE in this league if he is developed and given reps.

• Like 1

If this kid can develop quickness and more flexion in his ankles, I'll be thrilled. That 7.44 cone time bothers me, not only because of the number but because it translates onto the "tape" I see of him.

9 minutes ago, G08 said:

If this kid can develop quickness and more flexion in his ankles, I'll be thrilled. That 7.44 cone time bothers me, not only because of the number but because it translates onto the "tape" I see of him.

He isn’t as smooth a mover as Ertz. He is much more physical and powerful.

Closer to Goedert than Ertz.

He is not going to run every route well. At this moment he doesn’t get open because of route running he gets open because he is enormous and fast down the seam.

30 minutes ago, G08 said:

He's a Martellus Bennett clone if you look at the size and athletic metrics.

Bennett is a good comparison. Notre Dame was successful getting him the ball short and then hitting teams in the seam and deep middle.

Do that.

• Like 1