Breaking Down Cole Kmet

WindyCity

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think we will see Ginn in there a lot as well.

Neither Graham or Kmet force you into nickle, which is what you want to run at if you go 11.

Kmet is intriguing because he can block your LB and your best covering him with a safety. He is going to be difficult for defensive coordinators to decide who to send on.

With Graham you send the safety on because he isn’t going to block the LB if you leave him on.

I think NFL LBs are probably athletic enough to match-up with Kmet in coverage. He's not really a man coverage beater but more of a guy who needs to learn how to find soft spots in zone coverage.

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Excellent point.  But to @Sugashaneif both Graham and Kmet are in that isn’t that technically 12 even if they are playing one split out at WR?  I think it is.  

I think the hope is that they go to 12 and they can pass it with Graham or Montgomery or maybe Kmet vs. a LB or run if they do go Nickel.

If I was DC I just go nickel or 3 safety like Pettine because Bears haven’t shown ability to run effectively even against nickel.  And until they show otherwise, both Kmet and Graham are assumed below average blockers.  

Hopefully Kmet gets stronger and can physically bully DBs on short routes. His YPC might look like crap if he keeps getting 7 yard slants and curls but if it keeps resulting on first downs and results on him being a positive contribution as a run blocker then I'll be happy. I honestly feel like the old Colts set up is what the Bears need to do (spread offense and TE is a big slot WR) to try and force them into nickel, and thr TE might have some advantages if they put a S or NB on him when run blocking. Putting ARob and Miller on the outside and Graham and Kmet gives a lot of size for run blocking. Could flip a stretch call at the LOS for any advantages seen one way or the other. It would come down to the OL being able to get a seam somewhere though, but this MIGHT let Kmet be useful as a blocker too.

God it's hard to be positive about the kid while being honestly cynical of my views on him. Haha.  

All that is too little for my eyes.  When I watched him in a few games what I saw was he bends into correct football position and plays from there.  That 45 degree angle athletic position..

But you don’t want to bend into it.  You want roll your hips up into it from low to high and end up there.  Kind of like a clean and jerk or whatever they call the Olympic lift I am thinking of.   Its an explosive move and it also requires timing.  

He is leaving all the power out of his initial pop which also gains you leverage on your opponent.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

All that is too little for my eyes.  When I watched him in a few games what I saw was he bends into correct football position and plays from there.  That 45 degree angle athletic position..

But you don’t want to bend into it.  You want roll your hips up into it from low to high and end up there.  Kind of like a clean and jerk or whatever they call the Olympic lift I am thinking of.   Its an explosive move and it also requires timing.  

He is leaving all the power out of his initial pop which also gains you leverage on your opponent.  

Its why they build newer blocking sleds so you have to explode them up at a 45 degree angle instead of just push them.  

• Like 1