Assassins Creed Valhalla

Ty21

On 12/22/2020 at 1:21 AM, Kiltman said:

I actually need to go back and play Origins. I got like 10 hours in and then had a big project take up all my time. By the the time I got back I kinda lost momentum.

That said Kassandra and Eivor both probably grabbed be more as a protagonist right away I guess. Don’t really have anything negative to say about Bayek, but I can’t say I really even remember what he was like.

The story of Valhalla has been enjoyable. Winning over each region/kingdom give nice narrative bites, I love the level of violence in Valhalla. Origins was the first to add some real weight to combat and this finally delivered the full version of that for me. I like that the side quests are relatively contained. Odyssey would have these ones that didn’t matter and have so many steps. I think somewhere in the middle would be the right spot to hit. Same with gear, it’s a little too finite in Valhalla with no transmog. I like the weapons need some more from the armor.

Sounds good.

Haven't played it yet but I'm slightly obsessed with Vikings. Does it have a real Viking feel to it ?

On 12/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, Spartacus said:

The fisherman with two spears wrecked me soo much. 

I just went back to him. I gave him the least honorable death, I just stayed back and sniped him in the head 20 times. He didn’t even come close to me lol. But he deserved it, choosing to die when his son is only like 8

7 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Sounds good.

Haven't played it yet but I'm slightly obsessed with Vikings. Does it have a real Viking feel to it ?

It’s very steeped in various parts of the culture.it’s very much a Assassin’s Creed version of Vikings if that makes sense, it’s all a little more heightened and on the nose (not in an off-putting way) . I think they do a good job showing the conflict or just dual existence of Norse religion v Middle Ages Christianity in England. There is a lot of stuff you’d have to just see in game that goes into that side of things, it’s a core part as well as a totally separate chunk of the game they never publicly said anything about. It very much shows the grey area that history rarely affords the Danes. Like they weren’t just blood thirsty Raiders. 

I think the brutality of the combat fits the mental image of what a Viking would fight like. Like you get plenty of opportunities to roll up on your longboat, hop off right onto the shore and brutally take the limbs off the first soldier that gets in your path. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, Danger said:

Seriously? I beat him at 150 without trying. I hope you're at least on the hardest difficulty...

The one that is giving me trouble right now is Cordelia. Already beat her two sisters, the fire one was the easiest of the three though.

Just beat Cordelia at 230. Probably could have done it easier, it's more just knowing how to fight her.

Dodge all of her Red attacks, then when she does the twirling stun attack you let her do the first spin and block her on the backhand combo finisher. When she does the attack making clones, you make a B-Line for her and interrupt her before she can really do much with it. Her Desperation move is the easiest to avoid of all three sisters, just literally sprint away from all the circles that spawn with lightning bolts.

I feel like I’m finally getting towards the end... I did about 30-40 hours of lots of side missions and collecting, but for the last 30 hours I’ve just been grinding through the story. hopefully not too much longer to go.

love the story and it is a great game, but the gameplay is super repetitive and I just want to finish.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I feel like I’m finally getting towards the end... I did about 30-40 hours of lots of side missions and collecting, but for the last 30 hours I’ve just been grinding through the story. hopefully not too much longer to go.

love the story and it is a great game, but the gameplay is super repetitive and I just want to finish.

I can't even motivate myself to finish this. I think I played it too close to finishing Odyssey I'm like 50 hours in and completely burnt out. Moved on to Cyberpunk and will come back to this in the future to finish it.

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

The show. Games I don't really care that much about. 

Yeah they go over the top. Reality was (so I've read) the Vikings wore similar get up to Saxons. Dyed wool, basically. Not much boiled leather and massive bear furs to be found

12 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Yeah they go over the top. Reality was (so I've read) the Vikings wore similar get up to Saxons. Dyed wool, basically. Not much boiled leather and massive bear furs to be found

Yea that is my issue with it. They make Vikings out as some sort of early BDSM/Biker gang looking group when in reality they were dressed in fairly simple armor and chain mail (if you could afford it). I mean its a small bone to pick considering the show is based on people that may or may not even be real. It doesn't help that most of what we know about "Warrior Societies" like the Spartans or Vikings were written by their rivals (Athens & Franks/Saxons). 

I mean how much would we really know about a place like soviet Russia if the only items in the historical record were written by the US? Its silly to take everything written and assume its accurate. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Yea that is my issue with it. They make Vikings out as some sort of early BDSM/Biker gang looking group when in reality they were dressed in fairly simple armor and chain mail (if you could afford it). I mean its a small bone to pick considering the show is based on people that may or may not even be real. It doesn't help that most of what we know about "Warrior Societies" like the Spartans or Vikings were written by their rivals (Athens & Franks/Saxons). 

I mean how much would we really know about a place like soviet Russia if the only items in the historical record were written by the US? Its silly to take everything written and assume its accurate. 

Yep. The issue with opposition or other cultures that have written the history about a group that attacked them is that they may be inclined to exaggerate and make them out to be this other-wordly threat. The piece written about Lindisfarne about 'dragons and fire coming from the sea' - obviously referring to the drakar, but dragons and fire? Lol. 

11 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

Yep. The issue with opposition or other cultures that have written the history about a group that attacked them is that they may be inclined to exaggerate and make them out to be this other-wordly threat. The piece written about Lindisfarne about 'dragons and fire coming from the sea' - obviously referring to the drakar, but dragons and fire? Lol. 

Even worse they weren't even talking about the raid itself but Omens before the Vikings even set foot in the priory: 

In this year fierce, foreboding omens came over the land of the Northumbrians, and the wretched people shook; there were excessive whirlwinds, lightning, and fiery dragons were seen flying in the sky. These signs were followed by great famine, and a little after those, that same year on 6th ides of January, the ravaging of wretched heathen men destroyed God's church at Lindisfarne.  

Its always great when you have a year of bad weather that may have caused famine/hunger and a very upset populace to then blame it on the guys that sacked an unprotected priory. Easy points for the Saxon leaders at the time. 

Edited by Spartacus