Jump to content
Ty21

Assassins Creed Valhalla

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

Don’t mind playing the side missions. Just hate when they make you have to do so many of them just to be at the right level to do the next main mission.

The missions should scale to you, and not the other way around.  Mass Effect got it right.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Side quests either need to have fun and interesting stories, like in the Witcher 3, or they need to be truly optional. 

My problem with Odyssey was that most of the quests weren't really all that interesting, but the game definitely forced you to do a bunch of them in order to level up enough to advance the main quest. I had fun with some of them, but at a certain point I just wanted to finish the story. I had to spend 3 or 4 hours grinding levels to do that, and it just felt like they artificially found ways to make the game longer. 

As others mentioned, Mass Effect 2 did a great job with side quests. They were interesting, there weren't too many, and they impacted the main quest. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, Lions017 said:

Side quests either need to have fun and interesting stories, like in the Witcher 3, or they need to be truly optional. 

My problem with Odyssey was that most of the quests weren't really all that interesting, but the game definitely forced you to do a bunch of them in order to level up enough to advance the main quest. I had fun with some of them, but at a certain point I just wanted to finish the story. I had to spend 3 or 4 hours grinding levels to do that, and it just felt like they artificially found ways to make the game longer. 

As others mentioned, Mass Effect 2 did a great job with side quests. They were interesting, there weren't too many, and they impacted the main quest. 

Apparently the side quests have undergone specific change to make them more memorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6TrOlxMLc&t=582s

from 5:30 

High profile reviewer gives one small specific example of stumbling across something that's memorable 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLo2PyUjyM

'new side quest system'

- no side quests, basically. 

"the game will no longer have side quests. There are no contracts you pick up and stack up"

"it is now a dynamic system align with open world random interactions"

"It's more like RDR2 than Witcher 3. All those side activities you just stumble across"

"An example...children steal your money...you can chose to follow them and take it back, or leave it. If you follow them back to their home, you find other stuff, and you can then chose to help them, which opens up more exploration" etc.

 

So yeah, it seems it's been totally revamped. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 6:20 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Apparently the side quests have undergone specific change to make them more memorable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6TrOlxMLc&t=582s

from 5:30 

High profile reviewer gives one small specific example of stumbling across something that's memorable 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLo2PyUjyM

'new side quest system'

- no side quests, basically. 

"the game will no longer have side quests. There are no contracts you pick up and stack up"

"it is now a dynamic system align with open world random interactions"

"It's more like RDR2 than Witcher 3. All those side activities you just stumble across"

"An example...children steal your money...you can chose to follow them and take it back, or leave it. If you follow them back to their home, you find other stuff, and you can then chose to help them, which opens up more exploration" etc.

 

So yeah, it seems it's been totally revamped. 

This sounds great. On one hand, I don't love that I can miss moments by simply not seeing someone. On the other hand, I hope it will feel a lot less like just checking boxes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloading Valhalla now, gonna try to play tonight before I'm busy the rest of the week.  Probably drop some thoughts if I have time.

I'm excited.  The main negative I have seen thus far is that it is buggy.  Hopefully it's more along the lines of "normal Ubisoft buggy" and not "AC Unity buggy."  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you change the controls back to Ezio controls or is it still the new fight system, etc.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a different vibe so far, way more exploration and lonely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my doubts about Valhalla with all the talk of taking away did quests like they were. But it’s so much better, let’s you just roam, find little vignettes and people to help or things to find.

Was running through the snowy mountains in the first part of the game, jumped down towards a vague marker and it was one of the legendary animal fights against a stag in the shadow of icy waterfalls and under the northern lights....just awesome.

Whats great to is they let you toggle how much you want to show or not show, as well as other individual difficulty meters. (As someone who hated following missions in the originals and all games, I’m very happy I can move that down by itself)

Toggled some settings on my TV and it’s looking even better, lighting and visuals are great next gen. Also the soundtrack is a nice twist on typical AC music. Glad I got the surround sound up at my new house for it.

Pleasantly surprised just how much I love it so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Toggled some settings on my TV and it’s looking even better, lighting and visuals are great next gen. Also the soundtrack is a nice twist on typical AC music. Glad I got the surround sound up at my new house for it.

does it run in 4k at 60 fps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

does it run in 4k at 60 fps?

I believe so, yes. It’s definitely ~60 FPS, moving is too fluid from past games not to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing this, got around 25 hours in or so. Firmly a step below Odyssey for me but still enjoying it. Dual wielding 2 hand weapons is fun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Neumatic said:

I've been playing this, got around 25 hours in or so. Firmly a step below Odyssey for me but still enjoying it. Dual wielding 2 hand weapons is fun.

I really love the vibe, but there are some quirks.

The atmospheric missions can be nice but also a little annoying when you lose track of what you are supposed to do or a marker doesn't show up.

Wish they struck a balance between the armor of Odyssey and this one. I don't mind it being more meaningful and scarce, but want a little more and bring back transmog so we can mix up our look easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

I really love the vibe, but there are some quirks.

The atmospheric missions can be nice but also a little annoying when you lose track of what you are supposed to do or a marker doesn't show up.

Wish they struck a balance between the armor of Odyssey and this one. I don't mind it being more meaningful and scarce, but want a little more and bring back transmog so we can mix up our look easier. 

Yea I feel like the armor and weapons aren't as good. Just doesn't seem to be much variety, would like to see more unique weapons and armor. I suppose in a way its nice that you can pretty much have the same weapon the whole time and just upgrade it but variety would be nice. I mean how many different styles of spears were in Odyssey? Iv only found one spear so far in Valhalla and its just a basic looking spear, nothing fancy. There also seems to be a shortage of Arrows in Valhalla for what ever reason.

I do like that there isn't a bounty system. There's been plenty of times so far that I've accidently killed a civilian. Would be really annoying if there was a bounty system. I find it slightly odd as a viking that theyre so anti-killing civilians though, I guess I got too use to slaughtering anyone and everyone in a town and stacking bodies in Odyssey lol. 

The "side quests" are pretty nice, short and sweet without having to run around like a courier. Plus you can just ignore them if you want.

Another plus is not having the naval battles, just get in your boat and go where you need without having to face an entire armada. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...