Assassins Creed Valhalla

Ty21

I'm liking it much more then Odyssey so far. The combat feels more real and playing on the higher difficulty I feel vulnerable in battle. In Odyssey I felt way OP with the flaming swords, poison, and that Leonidas spear assassination ability. So far in this one I've had to plan out my combat, pick off and isolate enemies when I'm on my own. I really liked the whole cult system in Odyssey so I'm disappointed something like that didn't make it into Valhalla but it wouldn't fit the setting anyway as well as the bounty hunters. I'm totally addicted to the dice game. It's right up there with Gwent IMHO

7 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Yea I feel like the armor and weapons aren't as good. Just doesn't seem to be much variety, would like to see more unique weapons and armor. I suppose in a way its nice that you can pretty much have the same weapon the whole time and just upgrade it but variety would be nice. I mean how many different styles of spears were in Odyssey? Iv only found one spear so far in Valhalla and its just a basic looking spear, nothing fancy. There also seems to be a shortage of Arrows in Valhalla for what ever reason.

I do like that there isn't a bounty system. There's been plenty of times so far that I've accidently killed a civilian. Would be really annoying if there was a bounty system. I find it slightly odd as a viking that theyre so anti-killing civilians though, I guess I got too use to slaughtering anyone and everyone in a town and stacking bodies in Odyssey lol. 

The "side quests" are pretty nice, short and sweet without having to run around like a courier. Plus you can just ignore them if you want.

Another plus is not having the naval battles, just get in your boat and go where you need without having to face an entire armada. 

I do like how every weapon type is a big choice. I'm using a greatsword now and my playstyle is noticeably different than the axe/shield combo I had for most of the early stuff.
I think a good way to address it would've been an "adornment" system. Like ways for us to add to and make the weapon feel special. Like take some bones and feathers off of a warlock/barbarian and fashion them to your kit. Odyssey has way too much and this is a bit too little, I like the excitement of finally finding a new piece of gear...but just want it a smidge more. Also like I said, transmog is needed. As it stands now you are penalized for experimenting with build and even aesthetic changes by having to level them up seperately.

Yeah, as nice as the Bounty Hunters were in Odyssey for adding gametime, they could be real annoying.I feel like I've accidently killed more civilians so far this game than I have since maybe the Ezio trilogy.

With you on Naval battles. I just played though Odyssey in the Spring, so I'm very glad I don't need to sink so much time into sailing around looking for x number of a certain enemy type.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I'm liking it much more then Odyssey so far. The combat feels more real and playing on the higher difficulty I feel vulnerable in battle. In Odyssey I felt way OP with the flaming swords, poison, and that Leonidas spear assassination ability. So far in this one I've had to plan out my combat, pick off and isolate enemies when I'm on my own. I really liked the whole cult system in Odyssey so I'm disappointed something like that didn't make it into Valhalla but it wouldn't fit the setting anyway as well as the bounty hunters. I'm totally addicted to the dice game. It's right up there with Gwent IMHO

Yeah the combat and abilities in Odyssey were fun but could just wipe the floor with people. I'm curious about what other abilities this game has and how much of an upgrade v2 of each is.
I think the first Dlc sounds like we might get a little more Odyssey like cult stuff.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassins-creed-valhalla-dlc-roadmap-announced-heres-whats-coming/1100-6483505/

DLC 1: Wrath of the Druids

The first of the expansions is titled Wrath of the Druids, and it's scheduled for release in Spring 2021. "In this new adventure, players will journey to Ireland and unravel the mysteries of an ancient and mysterious druidic cult, tracking and discovering their members," reads a line from the description. "Diving into Gaelic myths and folklores, they’ll need to fight their way through haunted forests and dazzling landscapes while gaining influence among Gaelic kings

3749371-screenshot2020-10-20at12.59.08pm

• Like 1

I've never played an AC game before, but I'm loving this one. So satisfying running around with two axes. It feels almost identical to Horizon Zero Dawn, which is a good thing.

I like that you can just upgrade your original equipment and use whatever you want, instead of it becoming obsolete. 

The GRIND is real though. I've put in like 15-20 hours and feel like I'm only getting started.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, since I don't know any of the lore or stories from past games, but...

What is the overall story of AC? There was a sequence where I came out of the "simulation" (that was a shock!) and the world is ruined and they are trying to go back in time to fix it? What is the big staff thing?

Gawd been fighting this Erik Loyalskull dude in the cave for hours. He's so cheap! First off he wants an honorable fight but as soon as the fight starts he almost immediately gets in a cheap hit. Then the detection on the parry is so unreliable against him. He does 3-4 unblockable move in a row once you get his energy down below 50%. Reminds me of the Valkyrie fights in God of War. Uggh frustrating

21 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Gawd been fighting this Erik Loyalskull dude in the cave for hours. He's so cheap! First off he wants an honorable fight but as soon as the fight starts he almost immediately gets in a cheap hit. Then the detection on the parry is so unreliable against him. He does 3-4 unblockable move in a row once you get his energy down below 50%. Reminds me of the Valkyrie fights in God of War. Uggh frustrating

Oh god, those were... man...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

I've never played an AC game before, but I'm loving this one. So satisfying running around with two axes. It feels almost identical to Horizon Zero Dawn, which is a good thing.

I like that you can just upgrade your original equipment and use whatever you want, instead of it becoming obsolete. 

The GRIND is real though. I've put in like 15-20 hours and feel like I'm only getting started.

Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, since I don't know any of the lore or stories from past games, but...

How did you end up liking HZD? Did you finish it?

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Just wait till you get to the fishermen with two spears. That dude hit me once and I just stopped fighting him because I knew I wouldn't last. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kiltman said:

I do like how every weapon type is a big choice. I'm using a greatsword now and my playstyle is noticeably different than the axe/shield combo I had for most of the early stuff.
I think a good way to address it would've been an "adornment" system. Like ways for us to add to and make the weapon feel special. Like take some bones and feathers off of a warlock/barbarian and fashion them to your kit. Odyssey has way too much and this is a bit too little, I like the excitement of finally finding a new piece of gear...but just want it a smidge more. Also like I said, transmog is needed. As it stands now you are penalized for experimenting with build and even aesthetic changes by having to level them up seperately.

Yeah, as nice as the Bounty Hunters were in Odyssey for adding gametime, they could be real annoying.I feel like I've accidently killed more civilians so far this game than I have since maybe the Ezio trilogy.

With you on Naval battles. I just played though Odyssey in the Spring, so I'm very glad I don't need to sink so much time into sailing around looking for x number of a certain enemy type.

Currently I've been dual wielding the Fyrd Spear and Sepulchers Axe. Pretty deadly but probably going to change it up soon. It's definitely taxing on stamina, I've gotten butchered a few times because I ran out of stamina and couldn't dodge. I really want a Great Sword but I have yet to find one. I know I seen one for sale at one of the merchants but I typically don't buy weapons from merchants in games so I didn't think anything of it at the time. I've been doing most of the Wealth objectives in each territory so it's only a matter of time before I find a great sword.