Post-draft leaks

paul-mac

For the 49ers, they relied heavily on player evaluations from previous coaches they had trust in. Musgrave nailed the evaluation of Deebo from last year and his evaluation of Kinlaw is what pushed him over the top of other guys this year.

Had Kinlaw not been available at 13 (or subsequently 14), Aiyuk would have been in the conversation of a player to pick if they couldn't trade out. Aiyuk was the top WR on the 49ers draft board. Once the Eagles passed on Aiyuk for Raegor, they pretty much knew they had a shot at him. They went to work trying to trade up ahead of Miami, who they believed was the next team to go after Aiyuk, and were hearing whispers of the Packers trying to move up (they thought Aiyuk, turns out Love). John Lynch's wife would call Herm Edwards' wife to leak that the 49ers were going after Edwards' ASU WR. The Lynch's are godparents to the Edwards' oldest son. Aiyuk was the only player they were looking to move up for.

1 hour ago, typecast said:

For the 49ers, they relied heavily on player evaluations from previous coaches they had trust in. Musgrave nailed the evaluation of Deebo from last year and his evaluation of Kinlaw is what pushed him over the top of other guys this year.

Had Kinlaw not been available at 13 (or subsequently 14), Aiyuk would have been in the conversation of a player to pick if they couldn't trade out. Aiyuk was the top WR on the 49ers draft board. Once the Eagles passed on Aiyuk for Raegor, they pretty much knew they had a shot at him. They went to work trying to trade up ahead of Miami, who they believed was the next team to go after Aiyuk, and were hearing whispers of the Packers trying to move up (they thought Aiyuk, turns out Love). John Lynch's wife would call Herm Edwards' wife to leak that the 49ers were going after Edwards' ASU WR. The Lynch's are godparents to the Edwards' oldest son. Aiyuk was the only player they were looking to move up for.

Source?

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

Miami didn't go for a WR this draft. It's hard to believe they had designs on Aiyuk.

I said the same thing. The minute that report came out, I had questions. It seemed like a convenient scapegoat since they traded out of the pick immediately after to justify the trade up.  I can 100% believe the team having a fear on green Bay taking him though

2 minutes ago, typecast said:

Everything except the Packers have been confirmed by Shanahan and/or Lynch already through their pressers. The packers bit came from David Lombardi.

I haven't been watching SF pressers.  But I did love Aiyuk coming out, so that's interesting.

Thanks for letting me know the sources.

23 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Source?

The Musgrave thing is an article in the Athletic. We appear to like Musgrave and trust him because of the info we got from them regarding Deebo, while also suggesting that we do not have a good relationship with Nick Saban because apparently some in the 49er FO feel that he was dishonest / disingenuous about Foster when we drafted him. We haven't drafted an Alabama player since, and this year, a year where the consensus top 3 wide receivers included two products from Alabama, our receivers rankings were supposedly Lamb & Aiyuk and did not include either of the Alabama guys. 

The Green Bay trading up for Aiyuk, facilitating our own trade up was a series of tweets from Dave Lombardi, which @typecast just posted. 

There was a rumor about the dolphins and Aiyuk that was posted in the 49er forum, but that is not something I believed. 

Per Shanny himself, Aiyuk and Lamb were the top 2 receivers on his board. I didn't expect Aiyuk to be that high, but obviously makes a ton of sense that he would be high. I humorously had made a couple of posts in Feb about Aiyuk being very high on our board because he was very much a shanny receiver. I had no idea how accurate that would be. 

There was also an interview with Peter King that detailed some of the information as well. Lynch's wife did call Edwards' wife during the draft and tipped the pick (can be found via another athletic article) as the two families are extremely close (Herm is god parent to the Lynch's daughter; Lynch is godparent to Herm's son) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Musgrave thing is an article in the Athletic.

Lynch talked about this on Cowherd's show.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

There was a rumor about the dolphins and Aiyuk that was posted in the 49er forum, but that is not something I believed. 

Originally reported by Matt Barrows. Confirmed by Shanahan not long after that.

Edited by typecast

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

The Musgrave thing is an article in the Athletic. We appear to like Musgrave and trust him because of the info we got from them regarding Deebo, while also suggesting that we do not have a good relationship with Nick Saban because apparently some in the 49er FO feel that he was dishonest / disingenuous about Foster when we drafted him. We haven't drafted an Alabama player since, and this year, a year where the consensus top 3 wide receivers were two products from Alabama, our receivers rankings were supposedly Lamb & Aiyuk and did not include either of the Alabama guys. 

The Green Bay trading up for Aiyuk, facilitating our own trade up was a series of tweets from Dave Lombardi, which @typecast just posted. 

Per Shanny himself, Aiyuk and Lamb were the top 2 receivers on his board. I didn't expect Aiyuk to be that high, but obviously makes a ton of sense that he would be high. I humorously had made a couple of posts in Feb about Aiyuk being very high on our board because he was very much a shanny receiver. I had no idea how accurate that would be. 

There was also an interview with Peter King that detailed some of the information as well. Lynch's wife did call Edwards' wife during the draft and tipped the pick (can be found via another athletic article) as the two families are extremely close (Herm is god parent to the Lynch's daughter; Lynch is godparent to Herm's son) 

It more sounds like the Packers were just ******* with the Niners.

3 minutes ago, typecast said:

Lynch talked about this on Cowherd's show.

Originally reported by Matt Barrows. Confirmed by Shanahan not long after that.

Never saw Shanny confirm miami, but I may have just missed that. All I saw was that he said that they trusted their intel that he wasn't making it until 31. The Barrows thing was posted in the thread in the 49er forum 

5 minutes ago, badgers0821 said:

It more sounds like the Packers were just ******* with the Niners.

I don't know...depends on the intel. I don't know that anyone knows precisely what it was. Logically, it would have made sense to take a receiver for the Packers. So I would have understood the 49ers thinking that. If the intel was just about a trade up, well, they weren't wrong. If it was about a receiver, maybe they were wrong, maybe it was right (for all we know they may have pivoted to Love after losing Aiyuk, I don't know. Probably doubtful, but not going to completely discount the possibility of it's existence). 

Bottom line is that this FO is uber aggressive targeting their guys in both FA and the draft, so honestly, I don't know that it matters if someone was actually targeting them or not. 

There’s only 3 pieces of info I’ve heard related to Cleveland:

1. Jedrick Wills was the clear #1 OT on their board. It’s why their pick came so quick.

2. They really wanted DPJ.

3. They really wanted UDFA AJ Green from Oklahoma State. It’s why he got a larger than usual deal for a UDFA.

• Like 1