Post-draft leaks

paul-mac

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know...depends on the intel. I don't know that anyone know precisely what it was. Logically, it would have made sense to take a receiver for the Packers. So I would have understood the 49ers thinking that. If the intel was just about a trade up, well, they weren't wrong. If it was about a receiver, maybe they were wrong, maybe it was right (for all we know they may have pivoted to Love after losing Aiyuk, I don't know. Probably doubtful, but not going to completely discount the possibility of it's existence) 

It doesn't surprise me at all that the 49ers believed the Pack could target Aiyuk in a trade up and I don't fault them for getting it wrong. The packers need WR help and they did try to address it. In Peter King's post-draft column, he talks about the Packers having Love highly graded on their board. They had heard the same rumors that a team was looking to trade up for Love. So they started making splashes in the 20s to try and move up. They would eventually find that partner in the Dolphins. On day 2, King reports the Packers were looking to make a splash in the early/mid 2nd round with a WR and had two guys in mind. Unfortunately, they couldn't work out a deal to move up from pick 62. Higgins, Pittman, Claypool, Jefferson, and Mims were the round 2 WRs selected before their pick. They ended up selecting a bruising power rusher in AJ Dillon and continued their streak of not selecting a WR in the first two days and not signing a WR in FA for more than $5M APY. 

Also in the Peter King piece is the Bucs trying to move up for a tackle. The Jags were almost going to trade back but CJ Henderson fell to them and they select him instead of taking 76+117 compensation. Their intel had the Browns and Jets taking tackles. Wills and Becton are taken. They have the Raiders pegged for taking a wideout and Mayock isn't willing to move back two spots. Licht's intel on the 49ers had Staley retiring and that the 49ers were a team that could take tackle. So they call Adam Peters with the 49ers and offer a 6th in compensation for the swap. Peters put the Bucs on hold, comes back, declines the offer then hangs up. Bucs call back and make the offer they know actually gets it done (SF one & seven for TB one and four). Bucs get their OT. 49ers get their DT and draft compensation.

• Like 2

The Jets were prepared to trade picks 11 and 120 to Jacksonville for the 9th pick in order to secure Wills or Becton, but they decided not to do the deal after it became obvious that at least one of them would make it down to 11. 

15 hours ago, badgers0821 said:

It more sounds like the Packers were just ******* with the Niners.

I actually kinda believe it.  I think Gute mentioned something about having two guys left in their first round tier, and the Packers' history of trading with Seattle would mean that San Francisco would need to get ahead of Seattle.  Between Justin Jefferson, Cesar Ruiz, Kenneth Murray, and Brandon Aiyuk were the last four picks prior to Jordan Love.  The Packers first and second round picks would have gotten them to around the 21st pick.  The Packers got a "bargain" on their trade up with Miami, and Gute even admitted that they were talking a deal with Seattle prior to them executing the trade with the Dolphins.

• Like 1

Two things to note on the Ravens' side of things, one more concrete and one more speculative: It's more or less been confirmed that the Broncos tried to trade back into the 1st to get Patrick Queen. And this is more me reading in between the lines but it also seems like if they had succeeded and/or Queen hadn't been there, then Tee Higgins would have been the pick for us at 28. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 2

This was a late round pick, so it isn't likely to be all the big of a deal in the end, but the Saints were able to stick it to a division rival with their selection of Tommy Stevens in the 7th round. Most likely the Panthers given the connections that Stevens had with some of the Panthers coaches from his days at Penn State. Sounds like Stevens had a deal in place to sign as an Undrafted Free Agent with another team (likely the Panthers), so the Saints traded a 2021 6th round pick to select Tommy Stevens in the 7th round before he could sign somewhere as an Undrafted Free Agent. 

Tweet regarding the situation:

"Jeff Ireland said a NFC South rival had Tommy Stevens locked in as a UDFA. His agent wasn't even answering the phone anymore. So they said ---- it let's go take him. Lmao"

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, paul-mac said:

First off, thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen this yet

2nd, do people believe these post-draft blurbs more than pre-draft smoke? Only reason I say that is, if they loved Chaisson so much to take him at 9, I'm surprised they didnt trade up from 20 to get him when they had additional picks to do so. I just question the validity of that claim. Maybe they were willing to risk it and they were crunching the numbers and saw guys like Lamb falling so if not Chaisson maybe him? idk just interesting to say the least

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

It’s embarrassing the Jags wouldn’t have taken Simmons if he was there at 9.

I guess we were also high on Taylor. The Colts jumped in front of us to take him and then we took Shenault. Can’t say I’m mad about that.

Hope thats not true but glad we didnt have to see it

• Like 1

17 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s only 3 pieces of info I’ve heard related to Cleveland:

1. Jedrick Wills was the clear #1 OT on their board. It’s why their pick came so quick.

2. They really wanted DPJ.

3. They really wanted UDFA AJ Green from Oklahoma State. It’s why he got a larger than usual deal for a UDFA.

They really wanted DPJ and waited that long?