paul-mac

Post-draft leaks

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

First off, thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen this yet

2nd, do people believe these post-draft blurbs more than pre-draft smoke? Only reason I say that is, if they loved Chaisson so much to take him at 9, I'm surprised they didnt trade up from 20 to get him when they had additional picks to do so. I just question the validity of that claim. Maybe they were willing to risk it and they were crunching the numbers and saw guys like Lamb falling so if not Chaisson maybe him? idk just interesting to say the least

They probably didn't want to move up from 20 because the Jaguars are clearly in a massive rebuild, stockpiling picks. They didn't make a single move on draft day itself, strictly using the mass of picks they acquired from the Jalen, Bouye, Calais, and Foles trades.

Heck, they didn't even try to send a 6th-rounder they got from Seattle last year for a 7th round pick in any type of minor move up.

People can believe teams tank or don't tank, but the Jags seem to clearly be in a tank mode for a QB next year. Stockpile draft picks by trading away vets & expiring contracts, stock up on young talent. If you don't win, you get in position to take a stud signal caller in 2020. If you do win, it's because your low investment QB and collection of young talent over-exceeded. Not a bad plan, honestly.

21 hours ago, candyman93 said:

2. They really wanted DPJ

They really wanted him but waited til the 6th to draft him? Eh

• Like 5

DeCosta said he couldn’t believe Dobbins was there at 55 and that he was so much higher on the board than everyone else at that point that they had to take him regardless of what we already had on the roster

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

DeCosta said he couldn’t believe Dobbins was there at 55 and that he was so much higher on the board than everyone else at that point that they had to take him regardless of what we already had on the roster

I obviously wont find out but I’d be curious how high up they had him just because RBs are inherently devalued 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I obviously wont find out but I’d be curious how high up they had him just because RBs are inherently devalued 

Agreed very curious the grade they had on him

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Well, what we do know for sure is that it was somewhere between 28-55, haha, but the way he made it sound sounded like it was def in the 30s or 40s 

Edited by Ray Reed

Tampa Bay Bucs GM Jason Licht had a couple interesting notes for the draft this year.  Peter King did a zoom meeting or something and wrote how it went.

Supposedly Jason Licht put in a deal for Bucs first (No. 14), third (No. 76) and fourth (No. 117) picks on the table to Jacksonville for No. 9 overall. The Jaguars declined, opting to stay put and draft Florida cornerback C.J. Henderson.

The Bucs also spoke with the Browns and Jets, but neither were interested in moving back with tackles they liked still on the board. Licht even received an inquiry to move much further back from Minnesota, which he quickly rejected.

With the Raiders on the clock at No. 12, King reports that Licht offered Las Vegas GM Mike Mayock the Bucs first, third, fifth and sixth round picks while getting the Raiders first and third round picks back. Mayock opted to stay put even if Tampa upped their offer, so strong was his desire to select Alabama WR Henry Ruggs.

There was a lot of back and forth as well between Licht’s staff about what pick to offer San Francisco, ranging from a fourth to a sixth, to move just one spot in order to draft Wirfs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/2020-nfl-draft-humanity-pandemic-bucs-fmia-peter-king/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For the Falcons:

1. Atlanta was trying to trade ahead of Oakland for AJ Terrell. They really liked him and Oakland was going to take him had Ruggs not slipped.

2. Marlon Davidson had a 1st round grade for them and they were shocked he was even there. They were trying to trade up to as high as 35 for him and wound up not needing to.

3. The Falcons loved Matt Hennessy and he was the backup option at 47 if Davidson was selected. They see him as a day 1  starter at LG and long-term replacement for Mack

4. Mykal Walker and Jaylinn Hawkins were guys they were expecting to be there in the 5th, but they didn't have a 5th so they just took them in the 4th and called it a day. They were trying to trade down, but were unable to.

7. They cut their punter right before day three because they had multiple punters they liked and Hofrichter was their top rated punter.

Also, this was the first draft in Thomas Dimitroff's history with the Falcons that he couldn't get a trade done. One trade offer he wanted to get but never got would have been a 4-for-1 package with Minnesota so that he could restock the 5th and 6th rounds with a pick and add a couple of 7ths to the punter they took.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, 49erurtaza said:

From watching the colts YouTube series Frank Reich had Michael Pittman as his #1 WR I'm the draft. 

I would seriously question Reich's scouting ability in that case. I'm not sure what argument Pittman has as even a top 4 WR in this class. 

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 12:49 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Pats were probably going to select Jefferson, and the MIN pick might have sprung the Chargers trade - but we were already talking to LAC. 

https://nesn.com/2020/04/did-patriots-want-to-draft-justin-jefferson-in-first-round-before-trade/

Jefferson would've been an amazing fit in the Belichick offense. Makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

They really wanted him but waited til the 6th to draft him? Eh

I tend to agree with you but, at the same time, I don't think it's out of the question that some of these FO's have guys they circle as "late round gems". I'm sure it was known far and wide that DPJ wasn't a particularly great prospect and probably wasn't going to be taken before round 5 at the earliest. I loved Quintez Cephus, but I wouldn't have wanted my team to take him before the 6th round. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, tyler735 said:

This was a late round pick, so it isn't likely to be all the big of a deal in the end, but the Saints were able to stick it to a division rival with their selection of Tommy Stevens in the 7th round. Most likely the Panthers given the connections that Stevens had with some of the Panthers coaches from his days at Penn State. Sounds like Stevens had a deal in place to sign as an Undrafted Free Agent with another team (likely the Panthers), so the Saints traded a 2021 6th round pick to select Tommy Stevens in the 7th round before he could sign somewhere as an Undrafted Free Agent. 

Looks like the Saints did end up disclosing that it was the Panthers that had a deal in place for Tommy Stevens. Here's some more info on the situation. I love how petty Sean Payton can be at times lol.

"The Saints began a dialogue with Mississippi State quarterback Tommy Stevens and his agent, Buddy Baker. They quickly discovered Stevens had a deal lined up with the Carolina Panthers. 

Letting Stevens go to a NFC South division rival wasn't going to sit well with Payton, although the quarterback's motivations made sense — he'd worked with Panthers offensive coordinator Joe Brady, then a graduate assistant, at Penn State, where Stevens had started his collegiate career. 

"It became my project," Payton said, per ESPN. "There's no way I was going to lose this kid.

So Payton pulled off a maneuver that took the situation out of Stevens' hands. The Saints dealt a sixth-round selection in next year's draft for the 240th overall pick.

Payton said he texted Brady, his former assistant and former LSU passing game coordinator, "Not so fast." 

At No. 240, the Saints chose Stevens. He then texted Stevens. 

"Honestly, I was having some fun," Payton said the message read. "You had given your word and I respect that. But we weren't going to lose you. You were going to become a Saint.""

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2020/05/01/tommy-stevens-sean-payton-nfl-draft-panthers-undrafted-free-agent/3063074001/

• Like 1

Only noteworthy things coming out of Seattle are that we had a trade in place with Green Bay to trade down from #27 and acquire their 4th rounder (and what I assume to be another late pick) but Miami came in last minute and low-balled our offer for just a 4th. Per reports, John Schneider did not react the same way Bill O'Brien did. 

Apparently we were actually targeting Darrell Taylor had we traded down into the early 2nd round (assuming Jordyn Brooks would've been gone by then). We instead traded up from the late to mid 2nd round (which we never do) when we saw Taylor continue to fall. 

Finally, Pete wasn't asked about this specific player but mentioned in his radio interview that they "couldn't believe Alton Robinson was still around in the 5th round" and that he's really excited about him. 

Nothing too juicy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Well, what we do know for sure is that it was somewhere between 28-55, haha, but the way he made it sound sounded like it was def in the 30s or 40s 

Didn't necessarily have to be 28 or higher, IIRC DeCosta said they had a top 20 grade on Queen so the only thing we'd have to know for sure on Dobbins is that they had him lower than Queen, but possibly still a top 20-30 player in the draft. Seems like they had a 1st round grade on Dobbins so very possible it was a bit higher than 30's or 40's. 

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I would seriously question Reich's scouting ability in that case. I'm not sure what argument Pittman has as even a top 4 WR in this class. 

He kinda lightheartedly said "I'm not sure hes not the best WR in the draft!" after wildly gushing about him.  I highly doubt he actually had him ranked #1.