OBJ, Landry, Hooper and everyone else

Kiwibrown

Wr 1-2 and TE 1 are all but written in stone. 

After that we have a ton of competition and options. I am huge Nick Chubb fan, I think he is the best runner in the NFL, he is a solid receiving option out of the backfield, but he is not always out best runningback option with Kareem Hunt on the team., who is superior as a receiver. 

At TE 2, we have competition between Bryant and Njoku, Calrson might make the team as a 4th TE

At Slot we have a bunch of options, we could play Njoku, Bryant, DPJ, Higgins, Hunt, Brown the UDFA might push for it, Ratley for more speed. 

We also have a fullback. 

WE have so many different options it is a case of excellent team building, on offense we should be able to take advantage of most teams weak spots, whether it is secondary, linebacker or dline, speed or strength. Our offense can get bigger, smaller, tihter and wider without becoming weaker. Kudos to Berry, Kevin and Depo. 

An element I think we kinda overlook: Continuity

Baker has played with Jarvis, Rashard, Njoku, and Nick 2 seasons in a row and will be (hopefully) a 3rd season coming up. The only new weapon Baker has to get adjusted to is Hooper.

Yes the system will be different, but I value chemistry more than anything else. The plays may be different but the faces are still the same. Baker knows the routes and coverages his guys like to exploit.

My final 53 regarding skill position players:

RB: Nick, Kareem, Dontrell, Benny

FB: Janovich

WR: OBJ, Jarvis, Rashard, Damion, DPJ, KhaDarel

TE: Austin, David, Harrison, Pharoh

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I am reasonably certain that Stefanski and his crew can put a good O game plan together and call a good game.

So it all comes down to Mayfield.

No excuses.

There could be plenty of excuses. He may accidentally stare at the Sun for long enough, abducted by aliens, contract something nasty from Sam Darnold, fall off of the edge of the Earth, his mouth could do that thing that happened to Neo in the first Matrix film and no longer be able to call plays, stub his toe... and probably one or two other things...

DePo, Stef and Berry have done a very good job or building to his strengths though. I can't wait to see how in all plays out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bruceb said:

I am reasonably certain that Stefanski and his crew can put a good O game plan together and call a good game.

No excuses.

It should at least be refreshing to see is run the heck out of the ball and use some play action from under center.  Even if we drop some games for not being too aggressive (and it'll get old probably) we won't have to watch Baker taking 5 step drops while and get tee'd off on.

• Like 1

In a lot of ways we are in the same position we were in last year, albeit with somewhat better front line talent at several positions (e.g., RT and LT) and somewhat better depth at certain positions (e.g. Interior DL and DB).

But, we have a new HC and staff, new systems and new players.

Which means that we will start the season (God willing) with some provisional period (4-8 weeks?) for all of those things to work together and add up to wins.

Saw one forecast that has us going 7-9.

I think that is the low-end of any reasonable range of W-L record.

But I am not going to get too excited until I see the Ws piling up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

It should at least be refreshing to see is run the heck out of the ball and use some play action from under center.  Even if we drop some games for not being too aggressive (and it'll get old probably) we won't have to watch Baker taking 5 step drops while and get tee'd off on.

I actually think it comes down to whether Mayfield has the talent, character and maturity to be a successful NFL QB.

"Baker being Baker" will not cut it anymore.

39 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I actually think it comes down to whether Mayfield has the talent, character and maturity to be a successful NFL QB.

"Baker being Baker" will not cut it anymore.

I'll leave the character issues aside.  I feel like when things are going well it's a non-issue and when the team plays bad it becomes a problem.  He hates losing and it gets the best of him.

I think the play calling is going to be huge for him because, as is, he's a somewhat limited QB.  Not with his arm strength or accuracy, but he's a lot less effective when he has to make multiple reads.  Where he excels is just uncorking it to the first option, as long as the first is just barely open.  I don't trust him processing coverages and finding 2nd, 3rd, 4th reads (and it might be a height thing honestly, or just hasn't had time to learn plays in detail).  If the defense takes away the first and second read he holds onto the ball forever, rolls out right, throws off balance, and gets sacked.

To me it's why he's so much better when the defense gets drawn in by the run, or they can't set up because of tempo.  If the defense hesitates for a split second he can fit the ball in there, if they have an idea of where he wants to go pre-snap he struggles.  Also on a more basic level I don't trust him making 25+ passes a game.  He's a gunslinger.

8 hours ago, bruceb said:

No excuses.

What if Wills and our RG suck?

What if OBJ is still injured and looks like an okay #2?

What if people are running wrong routes because of a new scheme?

There can be excuses, no reason to back yourself, or Baker, into a corner.

What if Baker gets hurt? No excuses for Keenum?

I am confident Baker just needs to be put in a position to succeed and he will. Freddie turned into Hue somehow, I'm guessing he didn't have all that much to do with the previous season's success after all.

Sure the Browns have talent which is a great start but we're the 3rd favorite in our own division. The hype from last year is gone. Only Chubb lived up to expectations everyone else failed to some degree. Sure Landry had a fine year but he was up and down and had some terrible plays. Garrett was doing great until he was no longer on the field. No one else currently on our roster even gets a mention (okay, Tretter). Hopefully that changes but to put the monkey on the back of one player that everyone steps up (that's how you win) seems a bit crazy.

I'm hoping for the best but there are many players on the team that need to do better, the QB being one of them but certainly not the only one.

Unless Baker is straight up bad or injuries hit us hard at core positions, this will be a top 5 offense. 

I’m all-in with this unit. Give me Clowney/Ngakoue/Griffen and a trade for a good linebacker and lets goooo!!! I don’t think we NEED to make a move like that, but I do think it would ensure that we don’t have a weakness anywhere on our team. 

OBJ and Baker had poor on field chemistry last season. The game planning and playcalling was obviously horrific and other issue entirely. But the chemistry issue was present also. For this offense to thrive, we need to get the most out of that connection. I hate how the off-season is going to be so shortened, but I am looking forward to seeing what progress has been made. 

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

OBJ and Baker had poor on field chemistry last season. The game planning and playcalling was obviously horrific and other issue entirely. But the chemistry issue was present also. For this offense to thrive, we need to get the most out of that connection. I hate how the off-season is going to be so shortened, but I am looking forward to seeing what progress has been made. 

Baker seemed to force the ball to OBJ and Landry a ton last year in what seemed like an attempt to keep them happy and in the process made things harder for himself and them.

When baker played his best (and any qb for that matter) is when he simply took what the defense gave him and threw to the open man.  

If he gets back to that, OBJ and Landry will get theirs, and we’ll be much better off as an offense.

• Like 3

I still do not predict us to go to playoffs

1 we play 5 Super Bowls winning coaches that makes us 11-5

We play Denver they had the best off season plus they beat us last year that's 10 wins we only have to play one bad game 9-7, and we are outside looking in.

That said If we make the playoffs we stand a chance to win because we play in the toughest division.

Also we have played Baltimore as tough as anybody if we find a way to beat them twice this year you are almost assured of making playoffs because of tie breakers.

The offense look for OBJ, Landry, and hunt to approach all-time career best.

Anyways go browns I am buying Willis jersey

Edited by mtmmike
misspelling

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Freddie drew up some of the worst play calling I’ve ever seen. He’d run deep routes with some scrub WRs that should have gone to Odell. It’s like Freddie never looked at who was on the field and just ran plays for whoever. 

5 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I just hope OBJ doesnt do what he did last year during TC and 'train by himself'. I dont care what anybody in that PR dept. wants to say but that hurt the on field chemistry this season.

Especially with the shortened season I really hope our guys take the little time they do have to put in the extra work to gel together with as many practice reps as possible