NBA 2k18 Franchise - Grizzlies Need a Rebuild

MKnight82

Welcome to my NBA 2k18 GM Mode franchise.  I previously ran franchises in 2k17, and 2k16. You can see them here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=586067 

And here:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=572757 

Here are the rules I’ll be playing by to make things more interesting:

-          The regular seasons are way too long.  I will only be playing playoff games myself.  This means I could be potentially simming several seasons before I ever play a game. 

-          I will only accept trade offers sent from the computer or offers from the computer in the trade block.  If I do manual trades its too easy to manipulate the computer into lopsided offers. 

-          All draft classes will be auto generated.

-          I cannot trade for any picks after the lottery (so essentially I’ll never know the exact pick I’m trading for).

-          I will not trade UP in the draft ever.  Trading down is fine.  If I trade up a bunch of times and always land superstar players it makes the rebuild too easy.

-          I’ll be playing on Superstar difficulty with 6 minute quarters (set to alter stats to full minutes).  Simmed games are full 12 min quarters. 

These are my standard rules I’ve been running for 2 years now, I’m also going to implement these for this year:

-          I will not be drafting any top 5 prospects.  If you draft a bunch of #1 overall players the game gets too easy.  Eliminating the top 5 players from each class will keep me from landing any of the “franchise” prospects.  If I win a top 5 pick in the lottery, I will trade down to #6 overall for NO COMPENSATION. 

-          Since this year’s MyGM first draft class is scripted and seriously overpowered, I will be skipping the first draft altogether.  This will really slow down my rebuild, but I don’t want to have the scripted players on my team.

So you may be asking why do MyGM instead of just running a MyLeague?  I like the normal interactions with the owner and leveling my GM.  I understand that the leveling adds bonuses which help a lot, but that is why I’ve created so many rules to increase the difficulty. 

Slider Settings

lvtccjM.jpg

New Forum

Please be patient with me as I test out the format of this thread and the options the new forum provides. 

Team Selection

I have decided to start my franchise as the GM of the Memphis Grizzlies.  The reason I chose the Grizzlies is because I think they are challenging due to the fact that they are aging and really up against the cap.  I’m going to blow up the whole roster and rebuild.  Getting rid of their contracts won’t be easy though. 

mem.png

Opening Day Roster - Year 1
Position Name OVR Age Years Remaining Current Annual Salary (mil)
PG Mike Conley 88 30 4 $28.53
SG Ben McLemore 75 24 2 $5.20
SF Chandler Parsons 76 28 3 $23.11
PF Jarell Martin 73 23 2 $1.47
C Marc Gasol 90 32 3 $22.64

PG Andrew Harrison 74 22 2 $1.31
PG Wade Baldwin 70 21 3 $1.87
SG Wayne Selden Jr. 71 23 2 $1.31
SF Tyreke Evans 78 28 1 $3.29
SF James Ennis 73 27 1 $3.03
SF Rade Zagorac 70 22 3 $950k
SF Dillon Brooks 69 21 3 $815k
PF Deyonta Davis 73 20 2 $1.31
PF Ivan Rabb 70 20 3 $815k
C Brandan Wright 74 30 1 $5.96

Strategy This Season

Try to acquire future first round picks.  I won’t be drafting anyone in the scripted first draft, so I’ll be targeting future firsts.  I’m guessing my best trade asset will be Gasol.  I’m not sure if I’ll be able to deal Conley, and Parsons I may have to pay someone to take away.  I’d like to dump all 3 of their salaries this year to open up my cap space.  There’s no reason to rush trading them though, as going full tank this year wouldn’t matter since I won’t be drafting.  So I might as well move closer to the trade deadline and see if I can catch some desperate team in need of some vets. 

Also I won't be reporting on any of the stupid MyGM story line here as its pointless.  I'll only mention it if it impacts my roster (it'll be over after year 1 anyways).  

*TRADE*

Milwaukee Bucks Receive

SF Tyreke Evans (77)

Memphis Grizzlies Receive

2021 Bucks 1st Round Pick (unprotected)

PG Jason Terry (70)

Evans is on an expiring contract and isn’t part of my future plans.  Terry is 40 years old and on an expiring contract.  This trade is for the future first. 

*TRADE*

Sacramento Kings Receive

SF Chandler Parsons (74)

SF Dillon Brooks (68)

SF Vince Carter (74)

C Kosta Koufos (73)

I’m basically giving up rookie prospect Brooks to ditch Parsons contract for two expirings.  Honestly I thought I’d have to give up much more than this. 

Top 10 Prospects According to Draft Express - Year 1
DE Rank Position Name Age Height Weight Wingspan OVR Potential
1 SF/PF Jackson Baldwin 19 6'10" 250 7'4" 85 A+
2 C/PF Mirko Petrovic 19 7'1" 230 7'9" 84 A+
3 PG/SG Freddie Staples 20 6'2" 200 6'9" 81 A+
4 SF Odell Shepard 20 6'8" 225 7'6" 81 A+
5 SG/PG Art Horsley 20 6'5" 205 6'8" 79 B
6 PF John Malkmus 20 6'10" 230 7'1" 76 B+
7 SG/SF Ross Starks 21 6'6" 217 6'7" 73 A-
8 PF/C Jevon Kent 21 7'0" 235 7'8" 72 B-
9 PG/SG Harry Hawkins 22 6'3" 166 6'8" 65 A-
10 SG/PG Frederick Ward 19 6'7" 214 6'11" 71 B+

So if you end up doing a MyGM Mode this year this'll be your first draft class. 

*TRADE*

Philadelphia 76ers Receive

SF Vince Carter (74)

2018 Grizzlies 2nd Round Pick

SF Furkan Korkmaz (72)

2021 Knicks 2nd Round Pick

The 76ers contacted me about this deal and I like it a lot.  Korkmaz isn’t anything special now but I have him on a 4-year rookie deal.  Plus, I needed to move my 2018 picks anyways so this pushes a 2nd into the future. It also gives the 76ers a vet to help with their playoff push (their currently 6th in the East).  

*TRADE*

New Orleans Pelicans Receive

SF James Ennis (73)

2018 2nd Round Pick

2020 Pelicans First Round Pick (lottery protected)

C Omer Asik (72)

Well taking on the Asik contract sucks, he’s under contract for 2 more years at around $10 mil per season, and I’m pretty sure he has a player option for a 3rd year.  With the way the computer hates Centers in this game I seriously doubt I’ll be able to unload his deal so I’ll be stuck carrying him for 3 seasons. But, Ennis is on an expiring contract and is nothing special, I’m trying to dump my 2018 picks, and I get a future first in this deal.  I think its worth it even if it isn’t ideal. 

All Star Break Update

I currently have a 18-36 record, or 13th in the West or 24 games out of first place.  I’ve tried trading Marc Gasol but no team will make me any offer at all, which is absurd.  The game is broken on valuing Centers at this point, I hope they patch it.  Also Mike Conley has a broken kneecap and is out 2 months, so I can’t trade him.  I can try to move him next year so it doesn’t matter.  I’ve made several deals already I don’t see the need to make any more deals at the deadline this year. 

*owner acts like a jerk*

My owner against my wishes traded SG Wayne Selden Jr. to the Pelicans for SG Jordan Crawford.  This is part of the dumb GM storyline.  At least he didn’t trade any draft picks. 

End of the Season – Year 1

Final Record 26-56, 15th place in West, and the 2nd worst record in the NBA.  I had a ton of injuries this year by Conley and Gasol which killed me. 

In the future I will post end of the season stats for my players, but since I made so many trades (which mixed up my rotation a lot), and have no players of note I don’t see the point in posting them for this season. 

Playoff Teams

West

1.       Rockets 63-19 (wow)

2.       Warriors 63-19

3.       Clippers 55-27 (wut)

4.       Thunder 49-33

5.       Jazz 48-34

6.       Timberwolves 46-35

7.       Nuggets 43-39

8.       Pelicans 43-39

East

1.       Raptors 53-29

2.       Cavaliers 51-31

3.       Wizards 47-35

4.       Celtics 44-38

5.       Pistons 43-39

6.       Bucks 43-39

7.       76ers 42-40

8.       Heat 40-42

Award Winners

MVP – James Harden, Rockets

ROTY – Lonzo Ball, Lakers

6th Man of the Year – Rudy Gay, Spurs

Defensive POTY – Andre Drummond, Pistons (Surprising)

Most Improved Player – Jerian Grant, Bulls

Coach of the Year – Mike D’Antoni, Rockets

Executive of the Year – Warriors GM

1st Team All NBA

G – Russell Westbrook, Thunder

G – James Harden, Rockets

F – Kevin Durant, Warriors

F – Lebron James, Cavaliers

C – DeMarcus Cousins, Pelicans

2nd Team All NBA

G – Chris Paul, Rockets

G – Damian Lillard, Trailblazers

F – Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks

F – Anthony Davis, Pelicans

C – Karl-Anthony Towns, Timberwolves

3rd Team All NBA

G – Kyle Lowry, Raptors

G – DeMar DeRozan, Raptors

F – Kawhi Leonard, Spurs

F – Paul George, Thunder

C – Andre Drummond, Pistons

All Rookie 1st Team

G – Lonzo Ball, Lakers

G – Markelle Fultz, 76ers

F – Ben Simmons, 76ers

G – Milos Teodosic, Clippers

G – De’Aaron Fox, Kings

All Rookie 2nd Team

G – Bogdan Bogdanovic, Kings

F – Josh Jackson, Suns

F – Lauri Markkanen, Bulls

F – Jayson Tatum, Celtics

G – Malik Monk, Hornets

Offseason Happenings

The #1 seed Rockets won the NBA Championship over the #1 seed Raptors (The Rockets beat the Warriors in the WCF).

James Harden won Finals MVP.

Notable Retirements: Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Manu Ginobili, David West, Matt Barnes

Staff Retirements: None

HOF Inductees: Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce

Jersey Retirements: #41 Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks 98-18), #20 Manu Ginobili (Spurs 02-18), no Pierce?

Year 2 Budget

Player Payroll - $114.93 mil

Staff Payroll - $11.00 mil

Arena Operations - $4.01 mil

Team Operations - $30.00 mil

Promotions - $4.50 mil

Draft Lottery

nba-draft-lottery3.jpg

The lottery doesn’t mean anything to me this year except trade value.  I’m not allowed to trade my first rounder since Memphis already traded their pick last year, so I’m stuck having to select someone, but that player will be traded immediately.  The top 5 odds are:

1.       Hawks (25.0%)

2.       Grizzlies (19.9%)

3.       Pacers (15.6%)

4.       Mavericks (11.9%)

5.       Cavs via Nets (8.8%)

Who’s it going to be…..

The Cavaliers jumped from 5 into the top 3 and the Mavericks fell to 5.  The Cavs landed the #3 overall pick.  The Hawks received the #2 overall pick, and of course I won the lottery for a draft I don’t even want to participate in.    

Staff Hirings/Firings

I fired the entire staff except for HC Fizdale, who I’ll give another shot.  Time to start fresh.  This is my new staff:

CFO – Robert Mills – Business (C+), Potential (B-), Economical Badge – 4 years, $500k

Assistant GM – Adam Saunders – Contracts (C-), Trading (C-), Potential (A+) – 4 years, $350k

Assistant Coach – Deon Blount – Offense (B), Defense (B-), Potential (A) – 4 years, $700k

Head Scout – Kuba Gooding – Scouting (A), Potential (C ), Hard Worker and Bloodhound badges – 4 years, $325k

Trainer – Jimmy Lynch – Training (A), Potential (B), Fitness Guru and Preparer badges – 4 years, $375k

NBA Draft

So this is a weird draft, I’m required to select someone since I can’t trade my pick.  I’ll be flipping whoever I take for a future pick hopefully.  There are 3 top prospects in this draft, SF Jackson Baldwin, C Mirko Petrovic, and SG Freddie Staples.  Baldwin is the highest OVR right now and I’ve experience almost no interest in Centers from the CPU, so Petrovic is out.  Baldwin seems like the smart choice. 

*TRADE*

San Antonio Spurs Receive

#43 overall pick

2019 Spurs 2nd Round Pick

Can’t trade the rookie for 30 days so time to move on to other business. 

*TRADE*

Los Angeles Lakers Receive

C Omer Asik (73)

2020 Lakers 2nd Round Pick

I had several teams offer me a 2nd for Asik which I found surprising. Unloading his contract is a big win for me. 

*TRADE*

Charlotte Hornets Receive

C Kosta Koufos (74)

2019 Grizzlies 2nd Round Pick

2021 Hornets First Round Pick (lottery protected)

Koufos is another guy I didn’t want, and although I’m giving up a 2nd this year I’ll get a future 1st round pick. 

*TRADE*

Indiana Pacers Receive

PG Mike Conley (83)

2020 Pacers First Round Pick (unprotected)

PG Cory Joseph (77)

This is a solid trade for me.  I figure I need to trade Conley before FA when everyone spends all their money.  The Pacers could be terrible so the pick could be high, and I should be able to flip Joseph for another draft pick later on. 

Archived