3 PF Tracy Haywood 22 7'0" 279 7'3" Clemson 74 B-
4 C Leandro Cruz 21 7'2" 280 7'2" Puerto Rico 78 A+
5 PF Wendell Houston 23 6'9" 241 6'11" UMass 71 A+
6 C Ferdinand Altit 22 7'1" 263 7'5" Puerto Rico 77 A+
7 SG Christopher Fordham 24 6'7" 225 7'1" Loyola 73 B-
8 SF Damien Adams 21 6'7" 219 6'11" Marquette 69 A-
9 SG Frank Arnold 23 6'3" 190 6'5" Albany St 71 A-
10 SG Genwei Lee 20 6'6" 205 7'1" China 68 B+

Pretty interesting draft class, there is no Superstar at the top but there are quite a few players with high potential ratings.  There are also several talented bigs which is good for me, as I really need those.  PF Tracy Haywood is an awesome Stretch 4 prospect that could fall due to his lower potential rating.  Cruz and Altit both look like legit starting Centers.  SGs Fordham and  Lee have got some pretty interesting size for guards.  

All Star Break Update

All Star Break Standings
West East
Seed Team Record Seed Team Record
1 Warriors 39-19 1 Hawks 39-18
2 Rockets 38-18 2 Cavaliers 37-19
3 Nuggets 36-23 3 Bucks 36-21
4 Thunder 35-23 4 Nets 35-24
5 Pelicans 35-24 5 Pacers 33-24
6 Clippers 32-24 6 Bulls 32-27
7 Kings 31-26 7 76ers 29-26
8 Mavericks 31-26 8 Celtics 28-29
9 Jazz 31-27 9 Raptors 27-32
10 Trailblazers 31-30 10 Hornets 23-34
11 Timberwolves 29-29 11 Heat 21-36
12 Spurs 28-30 12 Wizards 21-37
13 Grizzlies 21-37 13 Magic 19-40
14 Suns 19-40 14 Knicks 17-42
15 Lakers 18-39 15 Pistons 15-42
*Indicates I have their first round pick

I'm currently tracking for a high lottery pick from my own first round pick, but the other two I have will likely be late firsts. I could probably shop some guys around to try to get more picks, but I'm concerned that If I keep losing too many games I might be in danger of getting fired.  Doing nothing to improve the roster that first season really set me back with my owner's trust.  I'm going to stay put and see if I can win some games in the second half of the season.  Not helping is that my stud rookie PG Mark Carpenter has a dislocated left patella and is out for the season.  

End of the Season – Year 3

Final Record 25-57, 15th place in West, and the 3rd worst record in the NBA.

Team Season Stats  

Season Stats - Year 3
Point Per Game Rebounds Per Game Assists Per Game Steals Per Game Blocks Per Game
PG Mark Carpenter 15.5 PF Deyonta Davis 7.7 C Al Horford 3.9 PG Mark Carpenter 2.1 PF Deyonta Davis 1.6
C Al Horford 14.9 PF Ivan Rabb 6.4 PG Mark Carpenter 3.7 PG Briante Weber 1.6 C Al Horford 1.0
PF Ivan Rabb 14.7 C Al Horford 6.0 PG Alan Clark 3.4 SG Josh Hart 1.5 PG Mark Carpenter 1.0

You can see how losing Carpenter killed my season.  My team is really poor at rebounding, I need to upgrade my bigs this offseason.  

Final Standings

End of the Season Standings - Year 3
West East
Seed Team Record Seed Team Record
1 Rockets 55-27 1 Hawks 53-29
2 Warriors 54-28 2 Pacers 52-30
3 Timberwolves 49-33 3 Nets 52-30
4 Nuggets 48-34 4 Cavaliers 51-31
5 Thunder 48-34 5 Bucks 49-33
6 Clippers 47-35 6 Bulls 47-35
7 Spurs 47-35 7 76ers 40-42
8 Pelicans 46-36 8 Celtics 38-44
9 Jazz 45-37 9 Hornets 37-45
10 Trailblazers 43-39 9 Raptors 34-48
11 Kings 41-41 10 Wizards 33-49
12 Mavericks 41-41 11 Heat 30-52
13 Lakers 29-53 12 Magic 26-56
14 Suns 29-53 13 Knicks 22-60
15 Grizzlies 25-57 15 Pistons 19-63
*Indicates I have their first round pick

Its really surprising the Suns did so poorly after winning so many games last year.  I don't really have an explanation why.  The Pacers got really hot in the 2nd half of the season and made my draft pick worse from them.  

Award Winners

MVP – Stephen Curry, Warriors

ROTY – Daniel Haston, Thunder

6th Man of the Year – TJ McConnell, Kings (wow)

Defensive POTY – Rudy Gobert, Jazz

Most Improved Player – Lonzo Ball, Lakers

Coach of the Year – Mike D’Antoni, Rockets

Executive of the Year – Cavaliers GM

1st Team All NBA

G – Russell Westbrook, Thunder

G – Stephen Curry, Warriors

F – Jackson Baldwin, Hawks (maybe trading him away was a bad idea)

F – Kawhi Leonard, Spurs

C – Mirko Petrovic, Hawks (the Hawks are stacked)

2nd Team All NBA

G – Chris Paul, Rockets

G – Lonzo Ball, Lakers

F – Lebron James, Cavaliers

F – Anthony Davis, Pelicans

C – DeMarcus Cousins, Pelicans

3rd Team All NBA

G – Isaiah Thomas, Cavaliers

G – Freddie Staples, Cavaliers

F – Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks

F – Kevin Durant, Bulls

C – Rudy Gobert, Jazz

All Rookie 1st Team

F – Daniel Haston, Thunder

C – Boomer Stokes, Magic

F – Stuart Hutchinson, Heat

G – Richard Jefferson, 76ers

C – Oscar Robinson, Nets

All Rookie 2nd Team

G – Randolph Gill, Bucks

G – Alan Clark, Grizzlies

G – Jalen Ferrell, Spurs

F – Carson Harrison, Grizzlies

C – Edgar Henderson, Grizzlies

Offseason Happenings

The #4 seed Cavaliers won the NBA Championship over the #2 seed Warriors (the matchup we all thought would be in 2018).

Isaiah Thomas won Finals MVP.

Notable Retirements: Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Dwayne Wade, Tyson Chandler, Jamal Crawford, Andrew Bogut, Deron Williams

Staff Retirements: None

HOF Inductees: Dwayne Wade

Jersey Retirements: #3 Dwayne Wade (Heat 2003-2016)

Year 4 Budget

Player Payroll - $120.95 mil

Staff Payroll - $15.00 mil

Arena Operations - $6.95 mil

Team Operations - $26.75 mil

Promotions - $7.50 mil

Draft Lottery

nba-draft-lottery3.jpg

I only have one lottery pick this year, my own which is the 3rd best odds.  The top 5 odds are:

1.       Pistons (25.0%)

2.       Knicks (19.9%)

3.       Grizzlies (15.6%)

4.       Magic (11.9%) – top 3 or else Pacers

5.       Suns (8.8%)

Who’s it going to be…..

The top 3 held form with the Pistons winning the lottery, the Knicks getting the 2nd pick, and I won the 3rd overall pick.  I will be trading down to #6 overall again.  I also have the 17th and 25th picks in the draft.     

20 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

*TRADE*

Dallas Mavericks Receive

#3 overall

Memphis Grizzlies Receive

#7 overall

The Lakers have the #6 overall pick but already traded away next year's pick, so they can't trade this year's.  So I'm stuck having to trade down to 7.  

I hate that back-to-back ban.

2020 NBA Draft

NBA_Draft_logo_(no_year).png

Draft Picks

Round 1 – 7 overall

Round 1 – 17 overall

Round 1 – 25 overall

Round 2 – 35 overall

I have no idea how the early part of this draft is going to go.  Since there are players with high OVRs without ideal Potential ratings, and other guys with high potential ratings but not as high OVRs, the beginning could get a little crazy.  I would kill to land PF Tracy Haywood in this draft, but I don’t see how he falls all the way to 7.  I need to land a big at 7 somehow though. 

#1 overall gets traded to the Knicks for Kristaps Porzingis, wow.  Center Leandro Cruz goes #1 to the Knicks.  The Knicks also have the 2nd pick, which they use to take another Center, Ferdinand Altit.  Mmmmk.  They are both good players but in the modern era what are you going to do with twin towers like that?  The Mavericks take PG Greg Adkins #3 overall.  He’s a great speed/passer combo I think he’ll be good.  PG Claude Bolton goes #4 overall to the Pacers.  He had the highest OVR rating in the class, and I wonder if my scout didn’t screw up his potential rating in the reports.  PF Wendell Houston goes #5 to the Suns.  A bit surprising, but he has a good potential rating and is solid all around.  The Lakers have traded #6 overall to the Celtics for Marcus Smart.  What?  I thought they couldn’t trade that pick?  UGH.  Boston takes PF Tracy Haywood at 6.  How did the game screw me like that?  That pick isn’t supposed to be tradeable?   

Here are the top players available at 7:

SG Christopher Fordham

DE Rank Position Name Height Weight Wingspan School OVR Potential
7 SG Chris Fordham 6'7" 225 7'1" Loyola 73 B-

INS MID 3PT INS D PER D PLMK REB IQ PHYS
C+ B B- D- B- C+ D+ C+ B

Fordham has really good size for the 2 guard position and is a decent shooter and perimeter defender.  He’s an average athlete and not really elite at anything.  His potential rating is pretty low for a top 10 pick.  He has the Charge Card and Mid-Range Deadeye badges. 

SG Genwei Lee

10 SG Genwei Lee 6'6" 205 7'1" China 68 B+

C- C D- D+ B C D+ C C

Lee, similar to Fordham, has great size for the 2 guard spot.  He’s a significantly better defender than Fordham though, and is a tad bit faster than him.  He’s a much worse shooter though.  But, with a better potential rating he could develop more.  He has the Defensive Stopper, Hustle Rebounder and Pick Dodger badges.      

C Josh George

12 C Josh George 7'0" 251 7'3" Arizona 73 B-

D- F F B D+ D- B- C+ D

George is a long interior defender and solid rebounder.  His potential rating isn’t ideal for a top 10 pick.  He does have the Acrobat and Rim Protector badges.     

I have to take a player here that can develop into a starter.  George would be the safe pick, he should develop into a solid defender at the Center position.  Fordham is the best all around player as he can shoot and is a decent defender.  Lee should develop into an elite defender but his offense is iffy. 

With the 7th pick in the NBA draft the Memphis Grizzlies select:

SG Christopher Fordham, Loyola

ok1277y.jpg

I’m not in love with this pick but I think he’s the best available.  My starters need to have multiple facets to their game and he has the best chance to develop into that.      

Time to sim to my next pick.  The Pistons take SG Lee at #10 overall.  I’m on the clock.

There’s no reason to overthink this.  Center Josh George is still available, he’s the pick here for me. 

With the 17th pick in the NBA draft the Memphis Grizzlies select:

C Josh George, Arizona

AxBJEgN.jpg

This pick didn’t feel right at 7, but at 17 feels like a steal. 

Time to sim to my next pick.  I gotta be honest, the back end of this draft is crap.  I’m going to trade to trade out of it and push this pick into the future.

*TRADE*

Brooklyn Nets Receive

#25 overall pick

2023 Grizzlies 2nd Round Pick

Memphis Grizzlies Receive

2022 Nets 1st Round Pick (top 3 protected)

This trade pushes this pick into a (hopefully) better draft. 

I still have a 2nd round pick left that I need to make. 

With the 35th pick in the NBA draft the Memphis Grizzlies select:

C Mauricio Palermo, Spain

sVmKjO5.jpg

I didn’t need another Center prospect but they were the best available.  So I took Palermo who is a draft and stash for one year. 

Another draft in the books.  I’m hoping this draft pays dividends down the line, cause right now I’m just disappointed I didn’t land the guy I wanted.    

*Update*

SG Chris Fordham actually has B+ potential.

Player/Team Options

PG Alan Clark (74) - $1.90 mil – Solid PG prospect

C Edgar Henderson (73) - $1.84 – Big bruising Center 

Qualifying Offers

PF Deyonta Davis (80) - $2.86 mil offer – Gotta try to bring him back again since I missed in the draft. 

PF Tyler Lydon (77) – $2.39 mil – Gives me a Stretch 4 on the roster.

PF Ivan Rabb (78) - $2.22 mil - Need depth at PF.

SG Hosh Hart (80) – no offer – He’s solid but I have SG draft picks that need time.

That sucks wow. Did it give you an error message when you tried to trade for the 6th pick? And they traded it anyway......

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Team Season Stats  

Season Stats - Year 3
Point Per Game Rebounds Per Game Assists Per Game Steals Per Game Blocks Per Game
PG Mark Carpenter 15.5 PF Deyonta Davis 7.7 C Al Horford 3.9 PG Mark Carpenter 2.1 PF Deyonta Davis 1.6
C Al Horford 14.9 PF Ivan Rabb 6.4 PG Mark Carpenter 3.7 PG Briante Weber 1.6 C Al Horford 1.0
PF Ivan Rabb 14.7 C Al Horford 6 PG Alan Clark 3.4 SG Josh Hart 1.5 PG Mark Carpenter 1.0

As for this chart, I would align the number value to the left of the box so it looks less cluttered like this

Season Stats - Year 3
PF Ivan Rabb 14.7 C Al Horford 6 PG Alan Clark 3.4 SG Josh Hart 1.5 PG Mark Carpenter 1.0

Or something

Ya my team is not really coming together as quickly as I hoped.  I haven't gotten it written up yet but Deyonta Davis left in free agency, and PG Mark Carpenter won't be ready to play for 6-8 weeks into next season.  So I'm looking at another really long crappy season.  I hope I don't get fired.

Archived