Bengals cutting Andy Dalton

Drained

16 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ryan Pace took on Nick Foles's crazy salary and gave up a 4th , yet this dude is just walking out of Cinci for nothing. The NFL makes no sense sometimes. 

I'm gonna laugh so hard if/when Dalton ends up in Jacksonville on a semi-reasonable deal.

Gonna be a lot of angry Minshew mania folks though, when he beats him out for the starting job on reputation and familiarity with Gruden.

Edited by Tugboat

On 4/30/2020 at 10:43 AM, Shanedorf said:

no

AndeKe00_2019.jpg

Ken Anderson actually won playoff games and took the Bengals to the Super Bowl

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AndeKe00.htm

Ken Anderson looks over 10 years older than me there. I don't know how old he was but I'm older than he was the day he retired by more than a hair.

Something something football was harder on you physically back then.

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

What would you have done differently?

Same thing the Eagles did for Nick Foles when it was clear as day like with Cam, no one on the planet was trading for him. Allow the QB who spent 9 years with your franchise an opportunity at actually sitting down for another team when playing musical chairs of QB's was going on.

Anyone suggesting they had to wait to see "during the draft" if a partner came calling is using that as an excuse. His services dwindled after every single QB pick. No one was picking up his contract. That's been clear from the start IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Allow the QB who spent 9 years with your franchise an opportunity at actually sitting down for another team when playing musical chairs of QB's was going on.

It’s a poor business decision to let an asset walk for nothing. It was in the best interest of the Bengals to shop him, no matter how long he was with the team.

31 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Anyone suggesting they had to wait to see "during the draft" if a partner came calling is using that as an excuse. His services dwindled after every single QB pick. No one was picking up his contract. That's been clear from the start IMO. 

The draft was the last opportunity to deal Andy before his release. It was unlikely but by that point the dust had settled on the QB market. And to tell you the truth, Andy’s  market isn’t much different now than it was before free agency began. He was never going to be handed a starting gig from the teams that were reportedly interested in him (CHI, NE). Jax, NE, and NYJ have reportedly kicked the tires on him since, post-draft. If he lands in one of those spots, not much has changed. We didn’t screw him out of anything. The bottom line is, if the Bengals weren’t in constant contact with teams fielding interest and gauging trade offers, they would have just let him go from the start. But they didn’t, so there was obviously interest in his services. 

22 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

no one on the planet was trading for him.

That’s just not true. By all reputable accounts the Bears were interested in acquiring Andy before they turned their attention to Foles. The issue was Cincinnati’s asking price. If you want to blame them for mishandling something, blame them for that.

On 4/30/2020 at 5:51 PM, m haynes said:

They should have a button that's you can press when you read something you dislike.  Lets me say something, I expect the Rams organization to have a glue.

Yes, because it's never happened before? https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/09/patriots-fans-booing-chiefs-nfl-week-14 

10-3 and booing your own team off the field. It's not like I plucked the suggestion out of nothing. 

15 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Yes, because it's never happened before? https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/09/patriots-fans-booing-chiefs-nfl-week-14 

10-3 and booing your own team off the field. It's not like I plucked the suggestion out of nothing. 

I agree with you on the booing. However you implied that Stidman is going to stink and that is what I disagree about. No one knows how he will play. Stidman played really well in preseason and BB seems to have confidence in him. So far all signs are positive that he can play.

Maybe I reading it wrong but many already assume he will fail and that's  what i disagree with.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:17 PM, m haynes said:

I agree with you on the booing. However you implied that Stidman is going to stink and that is what I disagree about. No one knows how he will play. Stidman played really well in preseason and BB seems to have confidence in him. So far all signs are positive that he can play.

Maybe I reading it wrong but many already assume he will fail and that's  what i disagree with.

I actually feel Stidham is a good prospect, but it's not easy for anyone following Brady. Brady wasn't even close to what he was, I'm not suggesting he is, but he still had elite awareness. I think a rookie looking to show out forces things a bit more and puts his team on the back foot. 2:1 ratio would be optimistic - I just feel that combined with NE expectation is going to difficult for him. 

Dalton could've plugged the gap, an experienced player with a level head, but we will see. BB knows better than me, for sure, but any other organisation in the league gets this wrong. 

11 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

I actually feel Stidham is a good prospect, but it's not easy for anyone following Brady. Brady wasn't even close to what he was, I'm not suggesting he is, but he still had elite awareness. I think a rookie looking to show out forces things a bit more and puts his team on the back foot. 2:1 ratio would be optimistic - I just feel that combined with NE expectation is going to difficult for him. 

Dalton could've plugged the gap, an experienced player with a level head, but we will see. BB knows better than me, for sure, but any other organisation in the league gets this wrong. 

You are so right about following Brady. Impossible task.  I'm hoping TRUE fans understand this and not boo a 1st time QB. What I'm trying to say is, he will make mistakes however if you see the promise from his rookie year, understand with time we might have our next QB.

I not sure if anyone ( non PF) saw him play in preseason , but he was damn good and you could see the potential.  I'll bet many Pats fans as I was shocked how well he played.

PS  I know it was PS however my observation is based on years of watching rookie QB play.  Sidenote.  There is one rookie QB in all  my years where I felt so bad for, I knew he was done before his career began.  " Feel bad"went far be on football. Giovanni Carmazzi he played the Pats and they crushed him. It was like watching your kid fail. You could see the fear on his face. Sad.

3 minutes ago, m haynes said:

You are so right about following Brady. Impossible task.  I'm hoping TRUE fans understand this and not boo a 1st time QB. What I'm trying to say is, he will make mistakes however if you see the promise from his rookie year, understand with time we might have our next QB.

I not sure if anyone ( non PF) saw him play in preseason , but he was damn good and you could see the potential.  I'll bet many Pats fans as I was shocked how well he played.

PS  I know it was PS however my observation is based on years of watching rookie QB play.  Sidenote.  There is one rookie QB in all  my years where I felt so bad for, I knew he was done before his career began.  " Feel bad"went far be on football. Giovanni Carmazzi he played the Pats and they crushed him. It was like watching your kid fail. You could see the fear on his face. Sad.

He'll have two TEs that Tom didn't, and Andrews and Wynn back. Also Harry with a bit more experience and healthy. So he has a marginally better situation than TB last season, but it's still not ideal. I'm interested to see how he goes, but not expecting to be overly joyed 

21 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He'll have two TEs that Tom didn't, and Andrews and Wynn back. Also Harry with a bit more experience and healthy. So he has a marginally better situation than TB last season, but it's still not ideal. I'm interested to see how he goes, but not expecting to be overly joyed 

Your right but my concern is more with the running game and not as much with the passing game which by no means is settled. Sony was flat out horrible. The OL was bad but it went be on that. His reads and explosion was nonexistent  and I don't have much faith in any other backs other than White. Burkhead is made of glass, and Harris didn't even dress. Harris is the one that concerns me. Sony had impact his rookie season, zip with Harris. BB always says" we play the best player that will help us win"  Well Harris couldn't break in to that pitiful group.

33 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Your right but my concern is more with the running game and not as much with the passing game which by no means is settled. Sony was flat out horrible. The OL was bad but it went be on that. His reads and explosion was nonexistent  and I don't have much faith in any other backs other than White. Burkhead is made of glass, and Harris didn't even dress. Harris is the one that concerns me. Sony had impact his rookie season, zip with Harris. BB always says" we play the best player that will help us win"  Well Harris couldn't break in to that pitiful group.

I can't remember if running game improved when Wynn came back?