Goodbye Andy

Johnny Nix

Truly a sad day and the official end of an era. Where to begin? To start, Andy was - and is still - a class act, humanitarian, and consummate professional.

From playing well and making the playoffs his rookie year as a 2nd round pick, to raising $415 thousand dollars for his foundation after eliminating the Ravens, to his MVP-esque season in 2015, having Andy as our QB was a worthwhile and somewhat under-appreciated endeavour for Bengals fans. He was and integral part of the regime that lead the Bengals further away from the dark ages of the 20th century, leading us to 5 consecutive playoff appearances. And even though we could never get over the hump, that counts for something. He made those seasons worth watching. And in the end, as a fan, I’m grateful for that. Even up to the very end Andy kept his class. When he was ineveitably replaced by a 1st overall pick, the guy still put aside the frustration from being benched and reached out to Joe, congratulating and wishing his successor luck. That was Andy.

I wish nothing but good things in Andy’s direction, and hope he lands on his feet wherever the next part of his journey leads him. I still think he’s a capable NFL starter, and hope he gets his shot somewhere soon. 

Thank you, Andy. Good luck.

• Like 3

Too bad it ended like this,  but it was time.  Hope he gets the one day contract treatment so he can retire a Bengal down the road. 

Curious where he lands. New England,  Jacksonville,  back here as a backup for a reduced salary seem like the most likely places. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Also if the Bengals weren’t stubborn they could have taken Chicago’s 4th rounder and turned it into Ben Bredeson, Jack Driscoll, Tyler Biadasz, Shane Lemieux, Jason Strowbridge, Netane Muti, Michael Onwenu, etc.

Do we know that compensation for us was the hold up? I know the rumor was that they talked to his agent about restructuring. 

30 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Do we know that compensation for us was the hold up? I know the rumor was that they talked to his agent about restructuring. 

Not 100% certain, but I wouldn’t put it past this front office. I can’t imagine Dalton wouldn’t be open to restructuring considering what Foles is making after his restructure. 

I think in the end the Bengals wanted one of the Bears 2nds (they didn’t have a 3rd), and the Bengals didn’t want to take a 4th - which was subsequently traded to JAX for Foles. 

1 hour ago, theJ said:

If he goes to NE, I'll actually root for them to win a SB. 

Me too.  One, because he is genuinely a good guy.  Two, because then Bill has the answer to whether it was Brady or him.

And most importantly, 3, because it means Pitt is no longer at the top of the league for Super Bowl wins.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theJ said:

If he goes to NE, I'll actually root for them to win a SB. 

I think NE only has like $1.5M (Lowest in the league) in cap room before draft picks sign (it’s also why they HAD to trade Gronk once he announced he wanted to come back). Also why an Andy to NE trade was never really considered. I’d be shocked if he ended up in NE as they’d have to clear $15-20M to sign him and draft picks. Even on a team friendly deal. I think Jacksonville or KC as a backup makes a lot of sense. 

4 minutes ago, Carson4MVP said:

I think NE only has like $1.5M (Lowest in the league) in cap room before draft picks sign (it’s also why they HAD to trade Gronk once he announced he wanted to come back). Also why an Andy to NE trade was never really considered. I’d be shocked if he ended up in NE as they’d have to clear $15-20M to sign him and draft picks. Even on a team friendly deal. I think Jacksonville or KC as a backup makes a lot of sense. 

They obviously have some cap casualties coming. 

Andy is an A+ human being and i'll never root against him, but man, watching some clips of Auden Tate yesterday and Dalton's throws were just awful.  We need to spend some FA and draft capital on the oline next year so we don't end up with another shell shocked QB.  I hope Dalton can find that confidence again behind his next oline.

5 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Andy is an A+ human being and i'll never root against him, but man, watching some clips of Auden Tate yesterday and Dalton's throws were just awful.  We need to spend some FA and draft capital on the oline next year so we don't end up with another shell shocked QB.  I hope Dalton can find that confidence again behind his next oline.

What's your scouting report on Tate going forward?

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

The thing is, Andy just isn't good when trying to play behind a subpar OL. He can't function at all with pressure. The numbers back that up. 

But that's not true with all QBs. Yeah, pretty much every QB sees their numbers go down with pressure, but not at the same cliff like rate as Dalton. 

There's reason to believe that Joe will be able to perform behind an OL thats a little leaky. And that it won't ruin him. He knows how to manipulate a pocket and evade a rush while still looking downfield.