Garett Bolles  

26 members have voted

1. 1. wwyd

• Cut
    • Finish contract, decline option
    • Pick up option for 2021
    • Sign an extension

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Those are all good points. His penalties I think may be more easily correctable than we think. 

Last year it was either @BroncoBruin or @germ-x, maybe both that pointed out how often his penalties are absolutely needless and often late. I got really curious, dug around and finally saw most of them. They were right. These weren't the Wilkerson type holds, tackling a guy when he's racing past you on the way to the QB. All but a couple occurred after his job was done and done successfully. IE: Hanging on to a guy when he's trying to break off and chase the play downfield, that sort of thing. He just doesn't know when his jobs done. 

When you watch him alot he rarely gets beat, he and Bosa have some classic battles. Speed or power rushers, he's really good against both, and is probably top 5-10 in the running game. 

I read earlier this year that he'd hired a guy to help him with "offensive philosophy" to gain a better understanding of an overall picture. If he can get that we'll have an excellent LT for as long as we can keep him.

Dr. Rick Perria (sp.?), a Ph.D sports psychologist is on The Fan a lot and I know he's been contracted by NFL teams. I've always thought Bolles would do himself well going to visit the good doctor, who is right here in Colorado, during the season. 

Keep in mind, the 5th year option is ONLY guaranteed if Bolles can't pass a physical at the start of next year (what happened with Blake Bortles with JAX, though, so it's not like there's zero risk).   But the point being, it's usually a no-brainer to even consider taking it.   You have to be either really bad, or pose a huge injury risk, to pass on the option.   

Bolles is durable, so it can't be about a forecastable injury risk - it's really just about how much potential risk they want to stomach with the odd injury.   Given there's no chronic issue to deal with, It would be surprising to see Elway pass on the option by Saturday's deadline, given the economics of the T market.    And even if he doesn't make any progress from last year, and is still the frustrating guy to watch on Sundays - it's not like DEN is locked in by taking the option, barring said injury which really can't be predicted at all here.

All in all, the most likely news is the option gets picked up.  Elway's just sending Bolles a message here, which is fine - but reality will set in on May 4th for both sides.

Edited by Broncofan

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Keep in mind, the 5th year option is ONLY guaranteed if Bolles can't pass a physical at the start of next year (what happened with Blake Bortles with JAX, though, so it's not like there's zero risk).   But the point being, it's usually a no-brainer to even consider taking it.   You have to be either really bad, or pose a huge injury risk, to pass on the option.   

Bolles is durable, so it can't be about a forecastable injury risk - it's really just about how much potential risk they want to stomach with the odd injury.   Given there's no chronic issue to deal with, It would be surprising to see Elway pass on the option by Saturday's deadline, given the economics of the T market.    And even if he doesn't make any progress from last year, and is still the frustrating guy to watch on Sundays - it's not like DEN is locked in by taking the option, barring said injury which really can't be predicted at all here.

All in all, the most likely news is the option gets picked up.  Elway's just sending Bolles a message here, which is fine - but reality will set in on May 2nd for both sides.

Last year I took about 8 weeks off paying much attention. After the 3rd game I didn't see any part of any game until Lock started.

Bolles was really fun to watch! The difference in his play from early in the season to the last 5 games was remarkable.I see no reason why that wouldn't continue.

20 minutes ago, Tetsujin said:

2021 draft looks to be deep with OT prospects. Although Denver could probably use a 3rd to trade up for the one they really like. I'd say "decline the option".

Well yeah, you're a Dolphin fan. You guys traded Tunsil for heavens sake. Then took a huge gamble on Jackson in the draft. 

You'd love to see Bolles as a FA next season.

• Like 1

I think in a perfect world the team shows out well this year, opening the option for moving up in R1 for a true franchise LT. If we make the WC, we are picking around 22. Use that and our R2 and move up for Jalen Mayfield (I assume Penei Sewell and Walker Little go top-5). Then move Bolles to his natural position of RT, use James as the overpriced swing guy for a year (He has a 6M dead cap hit if cut 2021, and we don't need that cap space. We are set to have insane $$$). 

On another note Penei Sewell has #1 overall talent in most drafts, just not with Lawrence coming out. He is close to a Joe Thomas level talent. Your not supposed to move like him when 6'7 330lbs, and he has some leadership qualities that you rarely see from an OT talent. His passion for football is arguably unique, he just eats and sleeps the game. I think AKRA would love him. Would likely deal our 2022 1st to get my hands on him in 2021, assuming we pick as low as I think (We are a WC team IMO, or at the very least a team that misses the WC by a game). He is plug-and-play elite in the run game and has allowed 1 sack in 1,376 snaps as a pass protector. Those are ungodly numbers, especially for a guy that is more talented in the run game than pass game. Think what that means lol

Edited by BroncosFan2010

Moot point now, Elway declined to pick up the 5th year option. 

I do think what Klis says is true - that now Bolles will be motivated to play his best this year in hopes of getting a lucrative, long-term deal. 

(Can't believe I just agreed with Klis... )

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

Honestly, the way Bolles sougth to blame others on being overscrutinized last year, and the frustration-related penalties we saw - declining Bolles' option says a lot about where Elway & co. see him.    Making him play for a big contract?   Please.  The 11M 5th year option matches the TOTAL amount he gets from the 4 years of his rookie contract.

If he needs that type of motivation that 11M doesn't offer - man, I don't know how they can spin that.

There's no denying the tools  Most of the penalties were awful technique, temper, or both.    And the reasons behind them are still the same.  To be implying that it's on being over-scrutinized like he did last year.....well, I will say the 2021 T class looks pretty promising.   

If he plays great, then Elway loses.   If he plays awful, then the option could have been declined.   The only way this made sense was if Bolles got hurt and couldn't pass a March 2021 physical.   And Elway knows this very well - so that really speaks volumes of how little trust they have in Bolles.   Have to admit, the way Bolles implies that he's being overscrutinized last year, I can't really blame them, even though business-wise, taking the option was the usual move.

EDIT:  The tweet from 2 days ago was a satire account, but my point on his takes last year stand lol.

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:
Honestly, the way Bolles sougth to blame others on being overscrutinized, and the frustration-related penalties we saw - declining Bolles' option says a lot about where Elway & co. see him.    Making him play for a big contract?   Please.  The 11M 5th year option matches the TOTAL amount he gets from the 4 years of his rookie contract.

If he needs that type of motivation that 11M doesn't offer - man, I don't know how they can spin that.

There's no denying the tools  Most of the penalties were awful technique, temper, or both.    And the reasons behind them are still the same.  To be implying that it's on being over-scrutinized like he did last year.....well, I will say the 2021 T class looks pretty promising.   

If he plays great, then Elway loses.   If he plays awful, then the option could have been declined.   The only way this made no sense was if Bolles got hurt and couldn't pass a March 2021 physical.   And Elway knows this very well - so that really speaks volumes of how little trust they have in Bolles.   Have to admit, the way Bolles implies that he's being overscrutinized, can't really blame them, even though business-wise, taking the option was the usual move.

EDIT:  The tweet from 2 days ago was a satire account, but my point on his takes last year stand lol.

They're doing everything they can to motivate him. Saying publicly that he and Wilkenson will compete and Bolles isn't guaranteed a starting job and he will have to earn it and the like. Now this.

I think it's a likely a win-win. We get a motivated Bolles next year who, if he plays to his physical abilities, will be rewarded as such (either by us or someone else). If he stays the same Bolles then we walk away next March. He doesn't seem to me to be the type that will play for a contract and then, once paid, mails it in. I think Bolles is hungry to do well and win and be a force on the field, I don't think we can doubt or even question his competitive drive and it is not motivated by getting paid. 

21 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

They're doing everything they can to motivate him. Saying publicly that he and Wilkenson will compete and Bolles isn't guaranteed a starting job and he will have to earn it and the like. Now this.

I think it's a likely a win-win. We get a motivated Bolles next year who, if he plays to his physical abilities, will be rewarded as such (either by us or someone else). If he stays the same Bolles then we walk away next March. He doesn't seem to me to be the type that will play for a contract and then, once paid, mails it in. I think Bolles is hungry to do well and win and be a force on the field, I don't think we can doubt or even question his competitive drive and it is not motivated by getting paid. 

I’ll just point out the first and last sentence contradict each other.  

If we believe the last sentence then there’s no need to decline the option.   I’m more in the latter camp that it’s not about motivation.   That’s never been his issue.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

So, on the surface, this seems like a strange move, and somewhat hard to justify.  It’s even harder to reconcile with not drafting a OT.  if you knew you weren’t going to exercise the option, don’t you need to protect yourself with an OT somewhere along the line?  The “ let’s motivate him” argument makes little since to me:  as other have said, $11M seems like plenty of motivation.

This is complete speculation on my part, but I wonder if this isn’t as much about sending messages to the locker room as it is to Bolles.  With the kind of behavior he is rumored to have demonstrated, and the rumored level of “frustration” with Bolles even amongst some of his teammates, I wonder if they decided that they just didn’t want to be seen “rewarding” that behavior.  I think this is mor about behavior than performance, and more about messages than finances.  But I may be totally off base.

still - if this is what you were going to do, DRAFT AN OT!