Garett Bolles  

26 members have voted

1. 1. wwyd

• Cut
    • Finish contract, decline option
    • Pick up option for 2021
    • Sign an extension

On May 1, 2020 at 8:39 PM, Cutler06 said:

Some solace for him in knowing that he's not the only one whose 5th year wasn't picked up

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, horrid draft class. But is Bolles the nfl version of Tom Glavin? Glavin had a season where he was like 1-17. The only reason you let a pitcher get to that many decisions is if he is mega talented.

• 5 months later...

Well this decision is coming up snake eyes....

It's been covered ad nauseum in this thread - but the only risk to DEN was that Bolles would get hurt and not pass a 2021 March physical - and then DEN would be on the hook for 11M.  For a guy that missed 1 game.    I totally get the uncertainty ppl had heading into the season, I was unsure as well - but durability was never that concern.    Now, you can spin it that it's a good problem to have that Bolles' level of play clearly deserves an extension - but from a business perspective, from the very moment it was announced, the decision to decline the option just didn't make much sense.    11M for even a league-average LT is nothing.     To be clear - Stanley's at the top of the LT class, and he's been that way for his entire career - but with the ceiling for LT salaries this high, pretty easy to see Bolles will go way past the 11M AAV-wise, and for more guaranteed years, now, no matter who he signs with.

I will say that Elway's lean to part ways with vets a year too soon rather than a year too late is the right one business wise - but when it comes to 1st round pick options, the calculus leans to taking the option when in doubt, since it only guarantees for injury, and only for 1 year.   Even for players where they don't deserve it - we've yet to see a single Rd1 rookie not pass their March physical for year 5.   If it's a total washout of a player, I get the risk isn't worth taking, but even if Bolles' play didn't make him worth taking the option - the risk of an injury killing that value seemed so low.    I hope Elway learns from this for future cases.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Well this decision is coming up snake eyes....

It's been covered ad nauseum in this thread - but the only risk to DEN was that Bolles would get hurt and not pass a 2021 March physical - and then DEN would be on the hook for 11M.  For a guy that missed 1 game.    I totally get the uncertainty ppl had heading into the season, I was unsure as well - but durability was never that concern.    Now, you can spin it that it's a good problem to have that Bolles' level of play clearly deserves an extension - but from a business perspective, from the very moment it was announced, the decision to decline the option just didn't make much sense.    11M for even a league-average LT is nothing.     To be clear - Stanley's at the top of the LT class, and he's been that way for his entire career - but with the ceiling for LT salaries this high, pretty easy to see Bolles will go way past the 11M AAV-wise, and for more guaranteed years, now, no matter who he signs with.

I will say that Elway's lean to part ways with vets a year too soon rather than a year too late is the right one business wise - but when it comes to 1st round pick options, the calculus leans to taking the option when in doubt, since it only guarantees for injury, and only for 1 year.   Even for players where they don't deserve it - we've yet to see a single Rd1 rookie not pass their March physical for year 5.   If it's a total washout of a player, I get the risk isn't worth taking, but even if Bolles' play didn't make him worth taking the option - the risk of an injury killing that value seemed so low.    I hope Elway learns from this for future cases.

I always felt it was a common sense move to take the 5th year I mean 11m for a lt is a steal I mean James makes like 14 mill per.

I don't know if that was consensus though I mean people actually thought wilkinson was gonna start over Bolles at lt just think about that for a second lol

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I always felt it was a common sense move to take the 5th year I mean 11m for a lt is a steal I mean James makes like 14 mill per.

I don't know if that was consensus though I mean people actually thought wilkinson was gonna start over Bolles at lt just think about that for a second lol

Well the OP poll shows how this Forum felt (along with the 4 pages of posts), even with most of us being unsure on if Bolles could improve enough to deserve the long-term extension - it was a no-brainer to take the option, given it's only guaranteed for injury.   Of course, I assume that the casual fanbase felt differently - Twitter replies then were far more split.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Well the OP poll shows how this Forum felt (along with the 4 pages of posts), even with most of us being unsure on if Bolles could improve enough to deserve the long-term extension - it was a no-brainer to take the option, given it's only guaranteed for injury.   Of course, I assume that the casual fanbase felt differently - Twitter replies then were far more split.

Maybe it was twitter crazy to think now

@BroncoBruin mentioned it before but there's a bunch of pretty good LT's coming up on FA this year. Villanueva, Bakhtiari, Moton, Williams and Bolles is playing better than any of them.

The price will not go down. Looks like a good LT is now a $20 million dollar a year man.

That 5th year option is looking pretty cheap right about now.

Edited by AKRNA

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Now, you can spin it that it's a good problem to have that Bolles' level of play clearly deserves an extension - but from a business perspective, from the very moment it was announced, the decision to decline the option just didn't make much sense.    11M for even a league-average LT is nothing.     To be clear - Stanley's at the top of the LT class, and he's been that way for his entire career - but with the ceiling for LT salaries this high, pretty easy to see Bolles will go way past the 11M AAV-wise, and for more guaranteed years, now, no matter who he signs with.

What's your hunch on most likely outcome between the team and Bolles?  Seems to me that our lack of cap commitment on O beyond 2021 would justify a Bolles extension.. even if market is $15-20M annually

Well, it turns out Bolles is an NFL so my prior comments are incorrect. That said, I still don't agree that the decision was wrong at the time.

Nobody can say that Bolles would've taken the leap without us declining the 5th year option. What's to say that the decision wasn't the final 'light switch' moment for him?

It's all hypothetical. Good for him. We can still tag and get another year and prove it's a genuine progression and not a one year wonder, or sign him long term.

None of this takes away from 3 years of very, very bad football from Bolles.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Well, it turns out Bolles is an NFL so my prior comments are incorrect. That said, I still don't agree that the decision was wrong at the time.

Nobody can say that Bolles would've taken the leap without us declining the 5th year option. What's to say that the decision wasn't the final 'light switch' moment for him?

It's all hypothetical. Good for him. We can still tag and get another year and prove it's a genuine progression and not a one year wonder, or sign him long term.

None of this takes away from 3 years of very, very bad football from Bolles.

Was he that bad or just penalties? I think he cost us that Chicago game ill give that.

I kinda never gave him a chance I didn't mind the pick but could never love it lol I think elliot called him simple jack and that created an image with his poor mental game.

Well, whatever Elways going to do, he should do it quick. The trade deadlines tomorrow. basically, the last chance to get good value for Bolles/Simmons if you're not planning on re-signing them.

Two firsts is what the Texans gave up for Tunsil.

3 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, whatever Elways going to do, he should do it quick. The trade deadlines tomorrow. basically, the last chance to get good value for Bolles/Simmons if you're not planning on re-signing them.

Two firsts is what the Texans gave up for Tunsil.

What kind of 1st would you get?  I mean, let's say Bolles gets shipped to the Packers?  You would get a late 1st round pick, which is fine I guess that is where Bolles got drafted.  I like the Bolles/Simmons trade for picks though, I'd expect a lot of them. 

18 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

What kind of 1st would you get?  I mean, let's say Bolles gets shipped to the Packers?  You would get a late 1st round pick, which is fine I guess that is where Bolles got drafted.  I like the Bolles/Simmons trade for picks though, I'd expect a lot of them. 

Personally I think it would be ridiculous to trade Bolles. What would be more ridiculous though would be to let him hit FA and walk and get nothing more than a 3rd for compensation.

If he's still here tomorrow I'd have to think contract talks are progressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

Personally I think it would be ridiculous to trade Bolles. What would be more ridiculous though would be to let him hit FA and walk and get nothing more than a 3rd for compensation.

If he's still here tomorrow I'd have to think contract talks are progressing.

Would trade him straight up for Reggie White and Aaron Rogers. 

9 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Consider how hard it is to find consistently good OT play, even in the draft, I would be surprised if they didn't extend him. The Broncos have spent 5 years trying to find a permanent RT, getting rid of Bolles only doubles that problem