broncosfan_101

Garett Bolles  

26 members have voted

1. 1. wwyd

• Cut
    • Finish contract, decline option
    • Pick up option for 2021
    • Sign an extension

I do think there’s something to the idea of not wanting to reward someone who hasn’t been a consummate professional. Garett should be embarrassed about the way Elway talks about him, it’s like a parent apologizing for their misbehaving child. Go out and prove you can be a better player and professional for an entire season. 

Most people know where I stand on Bolles. I think this is the correct decision for a player that in my opinion, isn't an NFL player from both a mental and physical standpoint.

I put his statistical improvement down to our scheme change to get the ball out quicker for Drew and Drew's mobility. Just my opinion.

For once, finally - I agree with Klis. See if this lights a fire under him. If he is bad then let him go. If he's really good, franchise him. If he's simply good then let him walk and someone will overpay him. The last scenario would suck for us but I also believe it to be a very unlikely scenario.

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Most people know where I stand on Bolles. I think this is the correct decision for a player that in my opinion, isn't an NFL player from both a mental and physical standpoint.

I put his statistical improvement down to our scheme change to get the ball out quicker for Drew and Drew's mobility. Just my opinion.

For once, finally - I agree with Klis. See if this lights a fire under him. If he is bad then let him go. If he's really good, franchise him. If he's simply good then let him walk and someone will overpay him. The last scenario would suck for us but I also believe it to be a very unlikely scenario.

The thing is, the franchise tag is 14.8M this year, and with the new contract Tunsil got - it's going to easily go over 15M next year, likely closer to 16M.    And given the tag is a combo of the top 5 LT salaries,     So Elway is passing up a 5-6M+ savings that is only risky for injury, in a guy who's played for 4 years missing only the odd game.   Plus, If Elway had taken the option for 2021, he'd also have the option of tagging Bolles in 2022 at 15-16M.   When the market is likely only going higher than 15-16M (and a 2nd tag is at minimum 20 percent higher than the prior tag #).  So there's likely additional savings Elway passed up on for 2022 as well, should Bolles' 2020 play have proven he was worth keeping.

Given the above, the only conclusion is that the franchise has a much lower opinion of Bolles' future ceiling, and his ability to progress to be a foundation LT.    As so many others have stated, 11M is nothing even if you are a league average RT, let alone LT.   It's the only logical conclusion, given the economic risk being taken.   At the same time, 11M (the option being only taken if he played well enough to earn it) by itself should be a huge motivator, so I don't think playing for a contract vs. playing for 11M that's not guaranteed is a huge separator.  

Edited by Broncofan

Doesn't make much sense to me. Picking up the 5th year at least locks that player up. If he doesn't work out this year you still have him under contract and can trade him.

The Texans gave up two firsts for Tunsil then signed him to $22 million per year. I know lots of folks hate Bolles, but PFF ranks him just a bit higher than Tunsil. Maybe PFF sucks, I don't know.

44 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Doesn't make much sense to me. Picking up the 5th year at least locks that player up. If he doesn't work out this year you still have him under contract and can trade him.

The Texans gave up two firsts for Tunsil then signed him to $22 million per year. I know lots of folks hate Bolles, but PFF ranks him just a bit higher than Tunsil. Maybe PFF sucks, I don't know.

I’m thinking the Broncos are prepared to spend a lot of money at LT next year, whether that’s on a free agent like Villanueva or Bolles on the tag. Not sure they’ll want to break in a rookie LT on what could be a really good team next year. 

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

I’m thinking the Broncos are prepared to spend a lot of money at LT next year, whether that’s on a free agent like Villanueva or Bolles on the tag. Not sure they’ll want to break in a rookie LT on what could be a really good team next year. 

You're echoing my thoughts. I look at 2021 and it's pretty exciting. Strong, young and deep at the skill spots. Every player with at least one year of NFL experience and a year in Shurmers offense. Same with the IOL. We've got more talent there than I can ever remember.

No way do you toss in rookies at either of the two OT spots on a team like that.

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The thing is, the franchise tag is 14.8M this year, and with the new contract Tunsil got - it's going to easily go over 15M next year, likely closer to 16M.    And given the tag is a combo of the top 5 LT salaries,     So Elway is passing up a 5-6M+ savings that is only risky for injury, in a guy who's played for 4 years missing only the odd game.   Plus, If Elway had taken the option for 2021, he'd also have the option of tagging Bolles in 2022 at 15-16M.   When the market is likely only going higher than 15-16M (and a 2nd tag is at minimum 20 percent higher than the prior tag #).  So there's likely additional savings Elway passed up on for 2022 as well, should Bolles' 2020 play have proven he was worth keeping.

Given the above, the only conclusion is that the franchise has a much lower opinion of Bolles' future ceiling, and his ability to progress to be a foundation LT.    As so many others have stated, 11M is nothing even if you are a league average RT, let alone LT.   It's the only logical conclusion, given the economic risk being taken.   At the same time, 11M (the option being only taken if he played well enough to earn it) by itself should be a huge motivator, so I don't think playing for a contract vs. playing for 11M that's not guaranteed is a huge separator.  

I disagree that $11m is a negligible amount if when injury is a factor. Being on the hook for $11m for a player that isn't playing/isn't on the roster is far, far from ideal and it's a very real possibility for any NFL player to get an injury.

Personally, I think he isn't an NFL player whatsoever. So, risking paying $11m for a non-NFL player is definitely a situation I would be  keen to avoid.

35 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I disagree that $11m is a negligible amount if when injury is a factor. Being on the hook for $11m for a player that isn't playing/isn't on the roster is far, far from ideal and it's a very real possibility for any NFL player to get an injury.

Personally, I think he isn't an NFL player whatsoever. So, risking paying $11m for a non-NFL player is definitely a situation I would be  keen to avoid.

Believe me I’ve been as harsh a critic on Bolles’ time as a Bronco as anyone else (although I’d say he’s earned it lol).   It’s just that the injury risk with him is as low it gets with any OL his age.   So logically the only conclusion is the FO’s assessment of his likeliest outcome post-2020 is far closer to your take than ppl thought.  

45 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Just curious why you think that?