Bears sign Trevor Davis and Ted Ginn

beardown3231

I haven't read anything about Ginn so far but with Davis I see a distinct possibility of trying to trade Tarik Cohen and bringing in a RB more suitable to Nagy's scheme.  If he can't scheme Cohen any better than he has it's not doing us much good to keep him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m guessing Mooney ends up cut or on the practice squad now.

I think it’s more that Ginn is a low cost insurance plan on Mooney not being game ready by September. To me it’s more likely Wims isn’t making the team after this move than Mooney.

Davis to me this year’s Marvin Hall. 16 catches since 2016 doesn’t exactly scream upside to me, and we don’t have openings at KR or PR. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure either makes the roster but Ginn has stuck around the league a long long time with only speed as a real trait...that can't hurt a guy like Mooney in camp if we eventually get there...as much as Ginn was well over drafted if you could get his production out of a 5th rounder it would be an outstanding pick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Cheap situational speed for a speed lacking offense.

Wims is likely in trouble.

In terms of money I would say Patterson is the guy who could be in a little bit of trouble if Ginn does knock it out the park...that said I don't see Ginn making the roster.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Cheap situational speed for a speed lacking offense.

Wims is likely in trouble.

Makes more sense than Ridley, but one of them for sure. 7th rounders like Wims usually only get one good shot (if they get one) to step into a primary role and show they belong. Wims got this last year and IMO didn’t show anywhere near enough to cement any kind of standing. He was entirely replaceable out there after giving us nothing as a rookie. Ridley has higher draft standing which buys a little more margin, but when he got a small taste at the end of the year he made a big play in week 17. He’s not “safe” IMO, but he’s on better ground than Wims. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I keep thinking Patterson may be in trouble. I know, he's an AP. I'm a huge fan, but maybe they approached him about an extension & he was having none of it.

Davis and Ginn are both good KR's.

In trouble as in how? If they get rid of him they'd be insane. Keep in mind he covers punts and kicks. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I keep thinking Patterson may be in trouble. I know, he's an AP. I'm a huge fan, but maybe they approached him about an extension & he was having none of it.

Davis and Ginn are both good KR's.

Moving on from Patterson only makes sense IMO if we’re using that cap savings to sign a more valuable contributor. Even if you can replace Patterson as a returner and his minimal role on offense his value on coverage teams is immense. 

• Like 2

Inexpensive competition for a WR spot whose cap hit will be far less than his vet minimum.   So why not?

I also agree that Patterson is not someone we should be moving on from.  He's an ST stud.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2