Bears sign Trevor Davis and Ted Ginn

beardown3231

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t mind Ginn in a vacuum.  We need him actually.

But we drafted a BPA in Ridley who was supposed to be this 2nd round value.  We traded up for Miller and Wims has been sticking around.  We signed Robinson and Patterson.  We play Cohen at WR.  

Then we passed over solid starting potential OL prospects for Mooney who looks tiny on film.  I don’t care what his measurements supposedly are.   They said Mack’s little brother was 6’10 or something and you see his highlights and he is head shorter than all his teammates.

I am exaggerating of course, but you get my meaning.    

We are wasting picks IMO and spraying one target because we keep missing.   

And don’t forget we are supposed to be playing all these two TE sets.  

There are only sometimes 5 WRs on the field together.   There is never more than 3 CBs on the field.  There are always 5 OL on the field and they are usually only as good as their weakest link.  

Yet we draft and sign 100 WRs And CBs and just pick up OL whenever.  Two small school OL in 7th round?   What are odds they turn out to be anything?

Its just bad draft philosophy.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There are only sometimes 5 WRs on the field together.   There is never more than 3 CBs on the field.  There are always 5 OL on the field and they are usually only as good as their weakest link.  

Yet we draft and sign 100 WRs And CBs and just pick up OL whenever.  Two small school OL in 7th round?   What are odds they turn out to be anything?

Its just bad draft philosophy.  

That's why I was so high on Claypool.He can play the Z, slot, and U IMO, and Mims has the speed to really threaten deep. So you have ARod, Miller, and Mims out wide and Claypool as a move-end. 

Then I picked up Prince and Trey Adams because even if you redshirt them for medical reasons this year they have higher ceilings than anyone else on the OL that was left IMO. Odds are better they turn into something than most 7th rounders. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Right - but Ginn is tiny and it's unlikely the Bears carry more than 1 WR of that type. Ginn has a lot of experience and fills the same niche as Mooney.

Why is it unlikely they carry only one smaller WR? Don’t keep a full squad full of guys who are small but they have that covered already with  ARob, Miller and probably Ridley. Beyond that, the guys who can play. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

Why is it unlikely they carry only one smaller WR? Don’t keep a full squad full of guys who are small but they have that covered already with  ARob, Miller and probably Ridley. Beyond that, the guys who can play. 

They also have incredible size at TE

6'7"

6'7"

6'6"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Because they're likely to carry 5 WRs and keeping both Ginn and Mooney on the roster means one of Patterson, Miller, Robinson, or Ridley is inactive.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

That's why I was so high on Claypool.He can play the Z, slot, and U IMO, and Mims has the speed to really threaten deep. So you have ARod, Miller, and Mims out wide and Claypool as a move-end. 

Then I picked up Prince and Trey Adams because even if you redshirt them for medical reasons this year they have higher ceilings than anyone else on the OL that was left IMO. Odds are better they turn into something than most 7th rounders. 

source.gif

• Like 2

I really dont understand all the confusion of  this whole off season.

They keep 6 WR, stash the extra TE more than likely, Patterson actually is a pretty good tackler on ST too so keeping him as 6 is well worth it

WR1- A-Rob, WR2- Miller, WR3- Ridley, WR4-Patterson, WR5-Ginn, WR6-Mooney

Wims is back on the practice squad due to the size we have at TE, not much need for the huge WR type.

24 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I really dont understand all the confusion of  this whole off season.

They keep 6 WR, stash the extra TE more than likely, Patterson actually is a pretty good tackler on ST too so keeping him as 6 is well worth it

WR1- A-Rob, WR2- Miller, WR3- Ridley, WR4-Patterson, WR5-Ginn, WR6-Mooney

Wims is back on the practice squad due to the size we have at TE, not much need for the huge WR type.

They had no competent TEs last season and carried 3-4 in every game. IIRC they did not carry 6 active WRs in any game in 2018.

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They had no competent TEs last season and carried 3-4 in every game. IIRC they did not carry 6 active WRs in any game in 2018.

Welp, now they have 2.....and will carry 6 Wr's.....not sure where we are going here

Edit: I will say, I could see maybe Mooney or Demetrius Harris at TE, jocking for a game day spot....I just would see one or the other as incative, not full on cut

Edited by MonserinNC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MonserinNC said:

Welp, now they have 2.....and will carry 6 Wr's.....not sure where we are going here

I'd say it's extremely unlikely they carry 6 WR.

Ridley was a 4th round pick last season and played in 5 games. Barring injury, I don't see Mooney being active for that many.

2 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Because they're likely to carry 5 WRs and keeping both Ginn and Mooney on the roster means one of Patterson, Miller, Robinson, or Ridley is inactive.

Given how we’ve constructed the roster I’d be shocked if we only keep 5 WR. They had 6 last year and at least 6 at all times in 2018, and now there are 2 extra roster spots. Whether they’re all active on game day is different, but if they kept less than 6 on the 55 man roster I’d be shocked. I’d be even more shocked if the odd man out was the WR they just traded up to draft last week. 

• Like 2

He'll be competing with Mims and Ridley for the last two spots, and may even have a leg up given he brings something they don't. Imo, at least one of Ginn or Mooney should be on the field say 70% of the time (and both on the field at least a couple of times a game to force speed mismatches) , even if they're mostly just running a deep route to draw coverage back and open up things underneath. Obviously Ginn probably gets the majority of the work but I think Mooney can simply offer more to the offense right now than Wims or Ridley overall because it lets us always be able to challenge a defense with speed and Ginn can't be in every play.