Bears sign Trevor Davis and Ted Ginn

beardown3231

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

Read that Nagy went all in on getting Ginn, calling him daily and talking to him a lot. Seems like with a 35 year old receiver, a “hey, you’re 35, want another contract?” call should suffice. 

I feel like when they want their guy (usually an average player, it seems), they go all out and do absolutely everything to suck up to them to get them to come. It's weird.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I feel like when they want their guy (usually an average player, it seems), they go all out and do absolutely everything to suck up to them to get them to come. It's weird.

Well you don't have to suck up when you are paying top dollar to a FA.   

You have to recruit UDFAs and minimum pay 1 year veterans or you have to pay them more.  

On 5/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, abstract_thought said:

They may keep him on the 53 man roster, but it’s doubtful he’ll be active.

They’re going to have 3 TE and 5 WR on game day. That means Mooney has to beat out 2 of Patterson, Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, and Ginn.

55 man roster this year.

3 minutes ago, Flbrandonf123 said:

55 man roster this year.

Its still 53 but you can add 2 each week from PS and then put them back.  I think you can’t keep adding same two though.   You only get so many games for each guy or you just keep him on 53.  

On 5/7/2020 at 1:17 PM, dll2000 said:

What is a G on special teams?

A gunner who won't see any significant in-game time, regardless of position, unless the worst happens. They are there to play ST's only. Both Nagy and Tabor have been on record about improving ST's and Mcmanis is not getting any younger.

7 WRs is a lot for a team that supposedly wants to run a lot of 2 TEs.  

We usually don't carry 5 TE's either but two things here: 

1)  The new CBA allowing 55 active players is something they put in place for when the league begins a 17 game season (knowing that teams are going to see an increase in injuries). But a 17 game season doesn't start this season so you can bet that teams are going to use it to their advantage this year. Teams that usually only carry 2 QB's are going carry 3, teams that usually only carry 7 LB's are going to carry 8, etc. I expect the same thing this year with bot hWR and TE positions.  

2) One of those WR's is a gadget player (Patterson) who will also play "RB" just like one of those RB's (Cohen) will also play "WR". The listing of positions is simply semantics.  

Poaching off practice squads will be real interesting going forward.  I bet it happens more than in past.  At least by savvy teams.  

I am betting too that after that starts happening a lot certain teams start making gentleman agreements amongst each other off books not to do it to each other.

Yeah, I can see that too. But one of the good things about the extended rosters is that more players will get more opportunities instead of being buried on a depth chart.  Especially when the 17 game seasons begin and teams who already have the #1 spot locked down by week 16 start benching their starters for the rest of the regular season.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 11:31 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah, I can see that too. But one of the good things about the extended rosters is that more players will get more opportunities instead of being buried on a depth chart.  Especially when the 17 game seasons begin and teams who already have the #1 spot locked down by week 16 start benching their starters for the rest of the regular season.  

I think at players 54 and 55 are likely going to be the 2 guys who normally would have been on the PS that Pace would least like to see get poached. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think at players 54 and 55 are likely going to be the 2 guys who normally would have been on the PS that Pace would least like to see get poached. 

Yeah that's a good thought. It'll be interesting to see how he handles it though. Trying to balance positions of need vs keeping the two best players doesn't sound like an easy choice to make. Especially if injuries start to pile up.