Bears sign Trevor Davis and Ted Ginn

beardown3231

I think your core WR group for the future looks like this:

X: Robinson

Z: Miller, Ridley

Zebra: Mooney

Ginn gives you some immediate impact at Zebra while Mooney learns. Patterson is your utility guy that you keep for ST and gadget plays. My guess is this will be his last year with the Bears. Wims will almost certainly not make the final roster as he offers no ST value. T. Davis likely a camp body at this point as well. 

This is more than enough, especially given (as mentioned) previously that we will be in 2 TE sets more. Continue to draft for Zebra and U TE talent as those are the critical differentiating positions in this offense. 

• Like 1

Remember there are 12 PS spots this year.  So teams are going to load that up with developmental prospects.  Overall roster sizes are going up too soon and they can carry more on gameday this year I believe.   

With Ginn here Mooney likely goes to PS unless he really shines in preseason.

They didn’t trust that a) Mooney would be ready to play this year or b) that he is good enough to play at this level at all and they desperately  needed deep speed so hence Ginn was necessary.

I wonder how much more teams are going to poach from each other off practice squads? 

• Like 2

I see the week of post draft complaining is picking up steam.

Taylor Gabriel: 5'7"/168lbs

Darnell Mooney: 5'11"/174lbs

So what basis can anyone find to protest that Mooney is "too small" or "too skinny".

Teddy Ginn is 5'11"/180lbs and has managed to stick around for 14 seasons so his size has never been a detriment.

I get that some believe we should have done more to add to the OL but aren't you guys ignoring that we added a 25 year old former 1st round pick in Ifedi and a 25 year old former 2nd round pick whom we may actually have drafted over Whitehair had GB not jumped ahead of us for him.  These guys are 4 year vets who probably have as much to offer right now as any mid-late round OL we may have drafted.

We also added a new OL coach and a new TE coach both of whom have significant experience coaching run blocking schemes so can we please stop with the complaints that we did nothing to upgrade the OL?  Based on what we're able to do right now due to Leno an Massie being locked in by their contracts I'd say we did about as much as could be done.  We just have to execute better is all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulman said:

I see the week of post draft complaining is picking up steam.

Taylor Gabriel: 5'7"/168lbs

Darnell Mooney: 5'11"/174lbs

So what basis can anyone find to protest that Mooney is "too small" or "too skinny".

Teddy Ginn is 5'11"/180lbs and has managed to stick around for 14 seasons so his size has never been a detriment.

I get that some believe we should have done more to add to the OL but aren't you guys ignoring that we added a 25 year old former 1st round pick in Ifedi and a 25 year old former 2nd round pick whom we may actually have drafted over Whitehair had GB not jumped ahead of us for him.  These guys are 4 year vets who probably have as much to offer right now as any mid-late round OL we may have drafted.

We also added a new OL coach and a new TE coach both of whom have significant experience coaching run blocking schemes so can we please stop with the complaints that we did nothing to upgrade the OL?  Based on what we're able to do right now due to Leno an Massie being locked in by their contracts I'd say we did about as much as could be done.  We just have to execute better is all.

I don't want to over sell my position.  I am just saying size matters.  It's not nothing.  Some guys can play with being small and some can't.   A good big man is better than a good small man in most sports.   

I do think Gabriel being small was a problem last year.

Whether Mooney can overcome his size in NFL remains to be seen.  Obviously I hope he becomes an all-pro. 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Remember there are 12 PS spots this year.  So teams are going to load that up with developmental prospects.  Overall roster sizes are going up too soon and they can carry more on gameday this year I believe.   

With Ginn here Mooney likely goes to PS unless he really shines in preseason.

They didn’t trust that a) Mooney would be ready to play this year or b) that he is good enough to play at this level at all and they desperately  needed deep speed so hence Ginn was necessary.

I wonder how much more teams are going to poach from each other off practice squads? 

No chance Mooney ends up on the PS. If he REALLY disappoints in preseason MAYBE they consider keeping Trevor Davis over him. 

We are going to keep 6 WR and are placing an emphasis on speed. Wims is odd man out from last year. 

1 hour ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

No chance Mooney ends up on the PS. If he REALLY disappoints in preseason MAYBE they consider keeping Trevor Davis over him. 

We are going to keep 6 WR and are placing an emphasis on speed. Wims is odd man out from last year. 

You can put 2 practice squad players on roster each week this year without replacing them.

Not no chance he ends up on practice squad.  Things are going to work different this year and going forward.  48 active players and 2 practice squad guys each week.

12 practice squad players now and moving to 14.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLCbear said:

The fact that both are KRs is a little curious ... possibly potential Cohen trade insurance ?

I'm sure Pace realizes that  TC may currently be at highest value 

Cohen was at his highest value last year. 
He is in a contract year plain and simple. The insurance is for letting him walk, not getting comp. 

15 hours ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Cohen was at his highest value last year. 
He is in a contract year plain and simple. The insurance is for letting him walk, not getting comp. 

Ginn is only a 1yr deal

how is that insurance for Cohen walking ??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

They may keep him on the 53 man roster, but it’s doubtful he’ll be active.

They’re going to have 3 TE and 5 WR on game day. That means Mooney has to beat out 2 of Patterson, Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, and Ginn.

I wonder right now if they see Patterson as RB depth...we did so little there in the offseason they may see him as a slasher.