Bears sign Trevor Davis and Ted Ginn

beardown3231

20 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Question then becomes do we need Skrine and Shelley and Vildor?  I guess if you expect Skrine to leave next year it makes kind of sense.  Also, is insurance on one or more of them being bad.

Ginn replaces Gabriel and leaves next year.  Then presumably Mooney steps into that role or you find a different small speedy guy if he is bad.

What I don’t get is why a) he is happy with Massie and Leno (I’m not) and b) he doesn’t maintain a good pipeline to replace OTs?

Bars is a good find, but still he was an UDFA and he may have just gotten lucky.  Kind of a shot in the dark.  Same with 7th rounders.  

I remain puzzled by the Vildore pick, especially in the context of the rest of the draft: First pick? Possible overreach based on need. Vildore pick? Somehow he is the BPA there at a position where you have a lunchline already?

• Like 1

Just now, RunningVaccs said:

I remain puzzled by the Vildore pick, especially in the context of the rest of the draft: First pick? Possible overreach based on need. Vildore pick? Somehow he is the BPA there at a position where you have a lunchline already?

My issue with drafting yourself into a surplus is that even if Vildore is an NFL talent, how are the Bears going to figure that out with the number of other players they have ahead of him? He's not even a starter on the scout team at this point.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

My issue with drafting yourself into a surplus is that even if Vildore is an NFL talent, how are the Bears going to figure that out with the number of other players they have ahead of him? He's not even a starter on the scout team at this point.

Especially in a season with training restrictions almost guaranteed. How are they going to figure out where he fits in? Why not next year when Skrine is gone? Why do good things happen to bad people?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Corners and pass rushers... you can never have enough. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Excellent point.  NFL isn’t great at developing and evaluating players in practice.  They dont get enough live reps.

22 minutes ago, G08 said:

Corners and pass rushers... you can never have enough. 

If you are developing them, plugging them in and shipping out the excess for value.

If they are all busting or unknowns to others then you can have a 1000 prospects and if none pan out then a 1000 x 0 is still 0.  

Just now, dll2000 said:

If you are developing them, plugging them in and shipping out the excess for value.

If they are all busting or unknowns to others then you can have a 1000 prospects and if none pan out then a 1000 x 0 is still 0.  

Baltimore is shipping out pass rushers or losing them to FA and getting comp picks.  But if you are just cutting them ...

• Like 1

Two veterans to bring since player development is, and will be, so limited this year.

6 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

The Vildor pick is more of 2021 move than anything else. I didn't care for the pick myself either but I do understand it.

I also think those people who keep talking about Pace drafting so many corners are not seeing the bigger picture. 

Prince was 30, his body was breaking down which left a void at a starting position that needed to be filled so Jaylon is his replacement. Skrine is 30 and so he's going to need to be replaced sooner than later so Vildor is his replacement. McManis is 32 and needs to be replaced ASAP so Skelley is his possible replacement depending on how Tabor feels about him and how he's progressing.

17 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Honestly it wouldn’t shock me in the slightest if we kept 7 WR, 5 TE or 9 OL. I’m assuming here you’re referring to Holtz or Nall as a FB? 

Same. It's obvious that Nagy is putting more emphasis on offense this year, mainly on OL and skill positions, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him allocate more slots for that side of the ball more than usual.

The new CBA allows 55 active players in a week instead of 53 and 48 active GD instead 46. I could see it going something like this.

Weekly actives: 

Offense = 27
QB: 2
RB: 4
WR: 7
TE: 5
OL: 9

Defense = 24
DL: 5
LB: 8
CB: 6
S: 5

ST = 4
K, P, LS, G

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Especially in a season with training restrictions almost guaranteed. How are they going to figure out where he fits in? Why not next year when Skrine is gone? Why do good things happen to bad people?

Because at the age of 31 we could very well start seeing his decline this year and going to this year without a viable safety net would be disastrous considering how much nickel defense we run. 

• Like 1

Read that Nagy went all in on getting Ginn, calling him daily and talking to him a lot. Seems like with a 35 year old receiver, a “hey, you’re 35, want another contract?” call should suffice. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Same. It's obvious that Nagy is putting more emphasis on offense this year, mainly on OL and skill positions, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him allocate more slots for that side of the ball more than usual.

The new CBA allows 55 active players in a week instead of 53 and 48 active GD instead 46. I could see it going something like this.

Weekly actives: 

Offense = 27
QB: 2
RB: 4
WR: 7
TE: 5
OL: 9

Defense = 24
DL: 5
LB: 8
CB: 6
S: 5

ST = 4
K, P, LS, G

Because at the age of 31 we could very well start seeing his decline this year and going to this year without a viable safety net would be disastrous considering how much nickel defense we run. 

What is a G on special teams?

7 WRs is a lot for a team that supposedly wants to run a lot of 2 TEs.  

Poaching off practice squads will be real interesting going forward.  I bet it happens more than in past.  At least by savvy teams.  

I am betting too that after that starts happening a lot certain teams start making gentleman agreements amongst each other off books not to do it to each other.