So a ref question

INbengalfan

I assume people were probably going insane over the fumble overturn and the phantom PI call where Jones and the WR got their feet tangled, both while looking back for the ball.

There's another I need some clarity on.  After the third Lawson sack, you know, the one with the 12 men on the field penalty, there was no flag before or during the play.  Rogers runs across the field to start arguing with the ref about it.  He literally points to the video replay board to at least argue, and the tref, after watching this, throws the flag.   Since when can that happen???  A bunch of Packer fans tried saying they can do it, but I'm calling BS.  And because it is the Bengals, no one outside our fan community would care.

Can refs watch a replay, then decide to throw a flag?  I saw no,.  What sayeth you?

They're not supposed to. But, there's precedent. Years ago the refs called a Phil Dawson field goal no good (or good?), and reversed the call after looking at the video board. All because they couldn't formally review it. It got the call right though. 

I'm on the side of getting the call right here. So that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that they didn't do the same thing to reverse that terrible PI call that directly led to a packers touchdown. Big game changer there. 

To me, it's more of a statement at the depth of liberties the league will take against us.  Maratvus Bryant never got two feet in bounds.  Bury the replay.  Bury the Tyler Boyd replay until two plays after the fact when nothing could be done.  Somehow overturn the Montgomery fumble with clear and sufficient evidence (If there was, they never showed it on the board).

I'm sick of it.

36 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't think the league has it in for us, but we are amongst the smallest fan bases and therefore there is no pressure on anyone (league, refs, media) to give us a fair shake.

This is my line of thinking.  Not out to get us, but willing to help out a bigger market team.  I hear Green Bay is one of the league cornerstones, despite market size.  Who knew?

I just think we are an unfortunate fan base of a team with a clueless owner who hires bad coaches and team management personnel which make terrible decisions regarding talent and is loyal to a fault. Further, said owner is content with 6-10 or 7-9 season because it's better than we were in the 90's. 

Remember when Carson used to get defenders to jump offsides and then he would take a knee?  Good times.

Our coaching staff is so inept.  Here you have Rodgers quick snapping and receivers actually knowing to run.  Our team takes every second of the play clock just to get a play in.  As you can see, I'm just done with this coaching staff...

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't think the league has it in for us, but we are amongst the smallest fan bases and therefore there is no pressure on anyone (league, refs, media) to give us a fair shake.

Yeah it's more subconscious than conscious thought by anyone involved (refs, the league, etc).  The Bengals are just an afterthought.

Only way to change that is start winning.  A lot.

7 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

You think the league has it in for us? Got any more of those stylish tin foil hats?

this is dumb.. they don't say have it in for us (except Burfict), but they sure as hell protect their golden boys and "important" teams.. you're blind if you don't see it.

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Remember when Carson used to get defenders to jump offsides and then he would take a knee?  Good times.

Our coaching staff is so inept.  Here you have Rodgers quick snapping and receivers actually knowing to run.  Our team takes every second of the play clock just to get a play in.  As you can see, I'm just done with this coaching staff...

ugh.. chit used to drive me crazy..... 

I have been done with them for a long time..at least the smiling, clapping, shoveling one at the head of the snake.

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

this is dumb.. they don't say have it in for us (except Burfict), but they sure as hell protect their golden boys and "important" teams.. you're blind if you don't see it.

You have any examples that I am blind to? Or just want to use a blanket statement... The Pats and Steelers have gotten hit with big penalties recently, Zeke has been suspended for 6 games... Who are these "Golden Boys" and what have they covered for them that other teams are getting hammered for? If NE, Pitt and Dallas isn't the Golden Boys I don't know who would be. Fact is Burfict is if not THE dirtiest player in the NFL, he is certainly top 3. Therefore he loses any sort of benefit of doubt (similar to Harrison and Suh earlier in their careers).

I don't think his most recent hit was anything close to being worthy of a suspension,  but for f**** sake play smarter. He knows he has a target on him and he still toes the line of playing hard and playing dirty. The difference in Harrison and Burfict, is Harrison has learned to alter his play and Burfict is still dumber than a box of rocks.   

My best reference for this is when Harrison came over for a season( or two?) and as a bengal it seemed like he got a bogus unnecessary roughness penalty every other game where the replay would show a whole lotta nothing. My view has been the "error on the side of caution" way of judging whether something was a penalty or not has had the bengals reputation put before what is actually going on in the game. Extends to the announcers during the game also, hell even Boomer was swept up in it after the last steelers playoff game saying the game got out of hand only because of the bengals. 

To be clear I'm no way saying woe is me and the bengals fans at all, I'm at the point now when an obviously bad call goes against the team I ask myself why would I get mad when these are expected at least a few times a game.

Changing the narrative by winning would solve it tho.

Archived