Bears sign WR Ted Ginn Jr

SteelKing728

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think he's probably still a good player. But the signing confuses me...

Doesn’t it make sense looking for a speedster (if you still want to call him that) with possession guys in Robinson and Miller?

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Doesn’t it make sense looking for a speedster (if you still want to call him that) with possession guys in Robinson and Miller?

They just drafted a speed guy. And Robinson and Miller are faster than pure "possession" guys--if they had a quarterback other than Mitch, everybody would know that. 

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

They just drafted a speed guy. And Robinson and Miller are faster than pure "possession" guys--if they had a quarterback other than Mitch, everybody would know that. 

I mean, you don’t have to be slow or fast to be possession receivers. They’re not speedster WRs, which Ginn is/was. And adding a WR on Day 3 is nice, but that might not be an immediate impact. 

I don’t get why adding Ginn would be confusing in that context? Seems to be slated in as the #3-#4 and probably isn’t all that pricey.

This is one of the things Pace does well, he basically always has competition in camp. He also does alot with having each room be competent. 

I posted in a Jameis Winston thread, that I almost think Winston should be paying THEM to be coached by Payton and Brees for a year. I love the idea of Ginn just being in the room. Being a deep threat for 15 years and working with 2 MVPS in Cam and Brees is valuable by itself. I still think coach on the field is valuable. 

26 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

any topic about the bears passing game will just remind me that they decided to trade a 4th round pick for a QB with a big contract instead of signing winston or Cam

3 years/$24 million is a big contract for a QB? Good to hear, I had no idea. 

The Jags ate a lot of his guaranteed money to trade him, and he renegotiated his deal with Chicago to make the trade official. 

Cam blows as a passer and is seemingly becoming injury prone. The Bears don't need another QB who won't throw for 4,000 yards and reliably throw touchdowns, they have Tru locking that role down.  

Foles has system familiarity as he has worked with Nagy and Flip both. With the COVID-19 issues right now it's easy to see why they chose him over other options. Winston does have a higher ceiling though, but he'll throw you out of games if given too much slack.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

any topic about the bears passing game will just remind me that they decided to trade a 4th round pick for a QB with a big contract instead of signing winston or Cam

Cap hits are $5.3M, $9.3M, and $9.3M. Not that big a contract.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Foles has system familiarity as he has worked with Nagy and Flip both. With the COVID-19 issues right now it's easy to see why they chose him over other options. Winston does have a higher ceiling though, but he'll throw you out of games if given too much slack.

I'm not at all sure Winston has a higher ceiling. Because of the reason you mentioned--and it doesn't only have to do with being given too much slack, it's the haywire gene, pure and simple. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

I'm not at all sure Winston has a higher ceiling. Because of the reason you mentioned--and it doesn't only have to do with being given too much slack, it's the haywire gene, pure and simple. 

IDK. Foles is getting overrated due to one great season that was purely an outlier and one playoff run. In 5 years he has only started 17 more regular season games. Is he better than Tru? I'd say yeah. But he is JAG, nothing more. He was signed to be a higher floor player than Trubisky, the defense is still the key for the Bears to win anything significant.